Getting serious about sleep

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was on a swing shift for iver 15 yrs, went to sleep around 1230-130 am every night anf up at 730, wore me out but now i need a Xanax and a sleeping pill to knock me out every night or i dont sleep well and ill be a massive ass to everyone

Reaction score
First you can train and go with little sleep (but it's not the best). For all my working life I slept 4-5 hours a night. I could train and compete but I didn't get massive
Now, I'm retrired and enjoying my 8-9 hours sleep at night ; but I don't grow more
In December, last year, I took a job a

Battletoad

Reaction score
I've worked all three shifts over the last year, and sleep has been a problem on every single one. It's not the particular shift that has ever been inherently worse for me than another, it's been me fukking myself out of sleep for the sake of a little more entertainment. Terrible sleep discipline, basically. I find it interesting that even amongst a community that exists with training discipline as a core value, so many of us still have poor sleep discipline. I've been working on it, being back on first shift, and I have been feeling better throughout the day.

Some of the things that have worked for me:
-Limiting coffee to mornings only
-"Winding down" earlier than before
-Less screen time before bed. Reading instead of internet/movies
-Eating dinner no later than 8pm. I like my red meat, but I've found that going to bed with a belly full of steak can make it hard to sleep.
-Just wanting to go to bed. As childish as it sounds, so much of my sleep issues can be attributed to "I don't wanna go to bed!" going through my head as bedtime draws near. Just go the fukk to bed haha. I may try going back to a regular alarm clock, and leaving my phone downstairs to charge.

There's my $.02 I suppose.

Reaction score
This may be out of bounds but I always have power naps when I drink coffee and then sleep after for about 30 to an hour. It works for me. My mind is pretty much intact when I wake up and I can say, it makes me more productive.

Reaction score
I've worked all three shifts over the last year, and sleep has been a problem on every single one. It's not the particular shift that has ever been inherently worse for me than another, it's been me fukking myself out of sleep for the sake of a little more entertainment. Terrible sleep discipline, basically. I find it interesting that even amongst a community that exists with training discipline as a core value, so many of us still have poor sleep discipline. I've been working on it, being back on first shift, and I have been feeling better throughout the day.

Some of the things that have worked for me:
-Limiting coffee to mornings only
-"Winding down" earlier than before
-Less screen time before bed. Reading instead of internet/movies
-Eating dinner no later than 8pm. I like my red meat, but I've found that going to bed with a belly full of steak can make it hard to sleep.
-Just wanting to go to bed. As childish as it sounds, so much of my sleep issues can be attributed to "I don't wanna go to bed!" going through my head as bedtime draws near. Just go the fukk to bed haha. I may try going back to a regular alarm clock, and leaving my phone downstairs to charge.

There's my $.02 I suppose.

I recently have been putting my phone across the room when it is time for myself to go to bed so I not have as much screen time with it prior to bed. This also doesn't enable me to check my phone if I can't sleep.

The other thing I was doing was taking 10mg melatonin but I will be taking this back down. For some reason it's giving me very vivid and life like nightmares.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider- if you are in bed for a half hour and cant fall asleep, get up and walk around for a minute or read. Dont lay there and try to sleep. It wont happen. This is something I got from a couple sleep doctors and it helps.

Fat Gig

Reaction score
Lying there staring at the dark dosnt normally help much but me chemist told me the lights from phones screens etc set of the chemicle in the brain that tells us its time to be up and about so defintly maybe a book or something or even some music you like just on a low volume

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gabba is great for good sleep. Wake up a little groggy sometimes but it is worth it

New Threads