Getting serious about sleep

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Lilo's suggestion in another thread about 'sleep hygiene' really got me thinking about locking down my sleep patterns. I've been functioning on low sleep (avg 5.5 hours a night for years due to long stressful graveyard shifts and caffeine abuse. but I have to admit that is surf to much and half ass watch tv when I'm having trouble sleeping which probably only makes things worse. I know It's a huge hindrance to training and growth as well as mental function.
I've been thinking about forcing myself to wear something over my eyes after a certain time and practicing non movement. Adding to that I'm going to have valerian root on hand when I can't stop thinking or I'm having flashbacks of people screaming and stuff.. valerian has been good to me but it's definitely not good for everyday or prolonged use.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had bad sleep habits and actually fixed them..I think it really comes down to willpower for the most part. I'm willing to accept that day sleeping will never be quite as good as night sleeping but I still believe if I really try I can get in to a good stable 7 hour cycle. Thoughts?
Apologies if this is rambling or incoherent; I've been up 22 hours and I'm ****ed up on espresso because it's my first day off :/

Reaction score
Got it with the willpower. Its a shitty thing to try and fix but it can be done. It wasn't over one night that put you in the bad habit so your not going to come out of it very fast either.

There is a few things you can do, but you already kind of nailed it. Quit drinking coffee or high amounts of caffeine after lunch. Get yourself in the habit of being in bed by like 10 pm. Even if you cant quite get asleep. Just being in bed resting down is a good thing.

Put the phone or tablet down. Not just when you decide to go to bed, before bed. Let your eyes adjust and the brain settle down.

Turn off the TV. If you need the TV on, like so many of us. Turn the volume all the way down. That's what I do.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do it in small steps. Going to bed a little bit earlier each week. Stop late caffeine use. Have your room entirely dark. No lights or other shit. Keep your hands off your phone and no tv while going to bed. And your bed should be used for SLEEPING ONLY. No surfing the web on it, no watching tv in it, etc. You need to train your body to know that when your ass is in the bed, it's time to go the **** to sleep.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Had trouble sleeping for many years because any little sound would wake me up and would be able to fall back asleep.

Took a few days master the skill but finally learned how to sleep with loud noises consistently blaring in my ears all night.

The boat motor sounds one is my favorite and have it looped all night long.

Can honk horns crash symbols play loud bass rap songs have the dog barking all night long around you without waking up.

http://texashighdef.net/fans/

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks TrickWilliams and Milo, and yep I got addicted to having the tv on because it helps drown out noise..I work nights and sleep days so it makes things a little more complicated, but I know you're both still essentially right about creating an environment just for sleep. I know low volume of a tv helps me, but the light does really make your brain turn on again. I think I might try low talk radio for a while.

And trickwilliams you're probably right..it's going to take a while and. Ive had horrible sleep for years. I know it's worth working on it though; when I actually do sleep I almost start to feel better in a lot of ways.

Haha and as far as the edibles go, I wish I could, but my work has a fairly high possibility of injury and I don't want to risk a hot pee test. I actually live in a recreational state too..I think on my next vacation I'll shoot for spending a couple days in a weed coma just to make up for all those 4 hour sleep days a little bit. U all are definitely right though..that definitely works, gives you a really deep sleep and you feel really good when you wake up.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Had trouble sleeping for many years because any little sound would wake me up and would be able to fall back asleep.

Took a few days master the skill but finally learned how to sleep with loud noises consistently blaring in my ears all night.

The boat motor sounds one is my favorite and have it looped all night long.

Can honk horns crash symbols play loud bass rap songs have the dog barking all night long around you without waking up.

http://texashighdef.net/fans/

I watch texashighdef! I watch the rainy drive ones. Another good one is hongkongmap on YouTube.
But yea I think I really have to get away from all light for a while. Probably just going to have a fan and sports radio on really low

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I watch texashighdef! I watch the rainy drive ones. Another good one is hongkongmap on YouTube.
But yea I think I really have to get away from all light for a while. Probably just going to have a fan and sports radio on really low

They have some pretty good ones but was thinking about recording some of my own ideas like

YZ80 idling

Burning pine cones

Old school office room loud type writer typing which would be hard to replicate these days would have to get it off an old movie or tv show

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Edible + melatonin could put a horse down for a nap...somewhat naturally.

zuzulo

Reaction score
Lilo's suggestion in another thread about 'sleep hygiene' really got me thinking about locking down my sleep patterns. I've been functioning on low sleep (avg 5.5 hours a night for years due to long stressful graveyard shifts and caffeine abuse. but I have to admit that is surf to much and half ass watch tv when I'm having trouble sleeping which probably only makes things worse. I know It's a huge hindrance to training and growth as well as mental function.
I've been thinking about forcing myself to wear something over my eyes after a certain time and practicing non movement. Adding to that I'm going to have valerian root on hand when I can't stop thinking or I'm having flashbacks of people screaming and stuff.. valerian has been good to me but it's definitely not good for everyday or prolonged use.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had bad sleep habits and actually fixed them..I think it really comes down to willpower for the most part. I'm willing to accept that day sleeping will never be quite as good as night sleeping but I still believe if I really try I can get in to a good stable 7 hour cycle. Thoughts?
Apologies if this is rambling or incoherent; I've been up 22 hours and I'm ****ed up on espresso because it's my first day off :/

Rich Piranha takes Xanny haha. But seriously stay away from that toxic shit. Try magnesium. MNost problems people have come from lack of vitamins and/or minerals. Vitadmin D is a big one. Since i take it regullary my sleep and overall mental health is way better.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
The only thing I do wrong is have the TV on in bed. I just can't not have it on so what I do it set the sleep timer for 2 hours.

Not being 21 anymore doesn't help but the big factor and I don't care what anyone says, having children! Every good parent will tell you how they sleep with one ear down the hall. 30 years ago, you could have dropped a bomb and I wouldn't have flinched. Now I'm throwing the sheets off with the sound of a single cough.

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
If you are on your phone or computer a lot I would recommend installing a blue light filter. I'll spare you the lengthy write up and just tell you to read up on how blue light waves affect you and you'll understand

zuzulo

Reaction score
What i forgot: HTP-5 and L-Tryptophan helped me alot with sleep. Specially on Tren. I think Onnit produces a supplement with HTP and L-Tr. The stuff Joe Rogan advertises. But iam sure you can get it somewhere else too if you dont like Onnit.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
What i forgot: HTP-5 and L-Tryptophan helped me alot with sleep. Specially on Tren. I think Onnit produces a supplement with HTP and L-Tr. The stuff Joe Rogan advertises. But iam sure you can get it somewhere else too if you dont like Onnit.

I just wonder about using stuff like tryptophan and melatonin though because I work nights so I'd have to take them in the morning..i feel like my sleep rhythms are confused enough as it is .

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
If you are on your phone or computer a lot I would recommend installing a blue light filter. I'll spare you the lengthy write up and just tell you to read up on how blue light waves affect you and you'll understand

I've heard about this, been meaning to check it out

Reaction score
I'd also like to straighten my sleeping habits. I already find it hard to sleep early due to work. My earliest time would be around 12 midnight. But it's obviously getting me on low.

New Threads