Myostatin

zuzulo

Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, here is a study on Myostatin: https://www.researchgate.net/public...en_and_effects_of_testosterone_administration

TL;DR
After week 8 (56 days) it was the highest and dropped to normal levels at week 20 (140 days).

High Myostatin levels almost eliminate the possibilities for muscles to grow. After 8 weeks it has reached its peak and hinders any more gains, unless you start adding stronger compounds/up the dose. The good news is at week 20 it returns to baseline and never rises again.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
This is actually a well timed thread since I was telling Ecks about people's inability to interpret research correctly and your bullshit TL;DR is a example of this.

Here is what you thought this paper said:
- That myostatin levels "almost eliminate the possibilities for muscles to grow".
- That after 8 weeks myostatin "reached its peak and hinders any more gains".

Actually:
"In this study, under basal steady-state conditions, serum myostatin levels were not correlated with lean body mass; thus, myostatin levels may not be a good biomarker of skeletal muscle mass."
That means that this paper is saying the opposite of what you think it says. It says that myostatin levels were NOT in anyway associated with the changes in muscle growth (aka continued gains despite higher myostatin levels).

What you thought:
- That the "good news" was that at "week 20 it returns to baseline and never rises again".

Actually:
It showed myostatin peaking at 8 weeks and then was back at baseline by the end of the 20 weeks - we don't know the exact point at which myostating returned to normal since measurements were only taken at the 8 & 20 week marks. Also the treatment period was for 20 weeks only, that's why it wasn't looked into beyond this point - not because they assumed it never rose again.
An acute increase for 1 marker at 1 specific point in time means less than jackshit for gains.

Myostatin is, at best, one component of a much larger regulatory system at work when it comes to muscle gains. Most people should pay little to no attention to what it is doing and focus on the stuff that matters - diet, training progression and AAS dosage :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
MrRippedZilla, I don't agree with you. I know people who are inhibiting there myostatin (I'm not allowed to tell more) and they're huge and very ripped.
I wouldn't say myostatin does explain everything but it's very important

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
MrRippedZilla, I don't agree with you. I know people who are inhibiting there myostatin (I'm not allowed to tell more) and they're huge and very ripped.
I wouldn't say myostatin does explain everything but it's very important

Yea...I'm not giving you an opinion to agree/disagree with.
The data shows people grow just fine even with elevated myostatin levels, so it clearly isn't that important. If you have evidence contradicting the findings then please feel free to post it for discussion.

Oh and I know IFBB pros & Olympia winners who are huge & ripped without ever having given 2 ****s about inhibiting myostatin. So the anecdotal very much goes hand in hand with the data in this case.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
I wanna bitch slap this clown shoe

New Threads