How necessary is whole food ?

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
I'll give you my diet stats because I have a 4 pages diet where each ingredient is weighted and transformed in figures
5569.12 calories a day
293.92 g proteins (for 1175.68 cal) that's 24.96% in weight
711.63 g carbs (for 2846.521 cal) that's 60.44 % in weight
171.88 g fats (for 1546.92 cal) that's 14.60 % in weight
I'm sure you'll find there is too much carbs. But I'm shedding fat because of HGH

Those cals are crazy high for a "clean bulk." A 30 year old male at your weight and height would need to be working out for a solid 3.5 hours a day and he would still be at a 500 cal surplus using the calc. Something seems off here, that or the HGH does something crazy I'm not aware of in regards to calorie burn.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
U need to eat, shakes are ok but it shouldn't be used to replace your meals.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm 128kg. I gain weight on an almost identical macros split as you have posted (I eat more protein and less carbs). Something doesn't add up.

This is why I asked for stats. It doesn't add up. Add to the fact that he said he didn't get anything from 750/week test and something else at 600/ week and his buddy did so the gears not bunk (from another thread) I'm 120kgs and in the gym for 3 hours/day I'm getting fatter right now and I know I'm not eating 5500 cals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know it doesn't add up. I think I have a particularly bad genetic with few receptors and a very high myostatin. I'm desperatrly looking what I could do to improve. I thought I might get some help on the forum.
Anyway, my pct is over, I'm starting a new cycle and I start getting some results.
I had a talk with my coach about shakes and he agrees with me : high quality controlled protein powders are better than whole protein food because easiest to digest and assimilate.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
gotta clean those receptors

Reaction score
I've just cleaned them with clomid, novaldex during 6 weeks. Do you know a better way ?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Well,, you've asked for advice here and gotten it, what you do with it is up to you. One thing to think about: the pros, the big boys, what do they do? Food, or shakes? Best wishes brother.

Reaction score
Anything faster ? I can do all my PT I eat FAIRLY healthy but I got to be ready to rock by may 15th

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Anything faster ? I can do all my PT I eat FAIRLY healthy but I got to be ready to rock by may 15th

A bigger deficit per day, instead of 500 maybe go up closer to 1000.

Reaction score
If the big boys eat whole meals I'll try. But I can't see the difference between 100 g oats in a shake and 100 g Scottish oatscakes (whole meat). I can't sse a difference between a shake with 100g mashed potatoes in it and 100g mashed potatoes on a plate.

Reaction score
I suppose the question should be asked as WHY you choose to have so many ****ing shakes. Calories are calories this is correct, but $80 isnt $30. It would be way cheaper to just eat real food, granted it would be more of a pain in the ass. I spend $100 a week on food. To get that same level but in shake form it would cost me $240 a week give or take a little.

Good point, well said man

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
My issue is time as in time to eat an actual meal. I split my "meals" into 3 whole food meals and 3 shakes. I have breakfast, lunch and dinner and I have shakes between them. In a perfect world where I didn't have to work and could do it the way I wanted, I would eat the shit out of steak and chicken. Unfortunately, I am dealt a set of cards and do what I can with them.
There is a ton of vitamins and minerals in real food that shakes just don't provide. Real food is also slower burning so you muscles have a more constant energy source. My opinion for what its worth. If you have time to eat more real food, do it.

Reaction score
My coaches give much importance to diet. For them it's more important than training and gear. For them digestion and assimilation is of upmost importance, that's why they use many shakes with pre-digested food

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
if you can't eat, or if you can't get food, protein shakes or bars will at least supply you with much-needed protein and prevent catabolism
it's better than not eating. I try to at least eat most of my meals as food. I will eat a bar or shake, if I have to before I will go without eating.

I try to eat as much as I can now. One day, I won't have the teeth to do so. I'll wait for that day to come before I drink 5 shakes a day.

Zombialja Bones

Lady Member
Reaction score
I diet for clean bulking with many shakes and was told by a member I should eat REAL FOOD. I'm going to write down my diet and I hope you'll tell me how to improve it
8 am (one hour after GH shot) : protein shake (30g whey, 5 g leucine)
8.15 2nd shake : 60g oats, water, cinnamon, almond powder
9 am : 1st pre W/O shake : 25g whey, 5g leucine, 25 g glycerol monosterate, 100g oatmeal
9.30 : 2nd pre W/O shake : 17g EAA, 5g leucine, 10g citrulline, 4g beta-alanine, 60g dextrin cluster
10 am W/O
11.15 after W/O and stretching with weights : post W/O shake : 30-35 g BCAA, 7-15 g leucine, 120 g dextrin cluster, 8 g glycine, 15g soy lecithin, cinnamon
12.15-30 : GH
1.15-30 pm: 1st meal with whole food : 500g brown rice, 100g steamed broccoli, 120g meat or fish, 5g leucine, 3 tsp nuts oil, 3 tsp olive oil, a fruit
5 pm : shake : 100g oats, 25g whey, 5g leucine
7.15 : 2nd meal with whole food : 500g potatoes (sweet or white), 120g meat or fish, 5g leucine, 200g boiled mixed vegetables (zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant)
I'm getting a lot of leucine because I'm old. I'm getting much proteins after W/O because I train whole body (for instance chest-quads-back) (6 times a week)

I'm floored by the sheer thought that your insides are looking a chemical swamp of everything a sports nutrition store holds with a mix of a back alley illegal ish.

Shock aside, why aren't you enjoying your food the old fashioned way - cooked with love?

New Threads