2 hours training

Reaction score
At least 2 of you are training (intensly) for 2-21/2 h. I used to train for 3 hours but everybody in the gym told me that after 1-11/2 h cortisol is killing gains. Now I never train longer than 1.5 hour (not including weighted stretching)
How are you doing to prevent cortisol to kill your gains ?
I pin slin one hour before I start training to prevent too much cortisol. Bo you think it works ? (I do it again post W/O)

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
I cant imagine being in the gym for 2 hours. I work out about an hour hard as ****. High volume, super sets, drop sets, whatever i gotta do to get my full workout at the fastest time possible to get out of there.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In meet prep I have training days that would go 2.5 to 3 hours but it's like 6 guys on 1 bar.

I would eat poptarts.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gym time can go anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. There isn't any negative effects on potential gainz for training longer.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you stay in there for a good period of time youre gonna need some refuel. Typically some kind of carb drink or Gatorade works best.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Best gaines and shape I was ever in came from 2 hours a day 7 days a week 23 years old.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I train 3 hours six days a week. Absolutely no problem with gains here.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
At least 2 of you are training (intensly) for 2-21/2 h. I used to train for 3 hours but everybody in the gym told me that after 1-11/2 h cortisol is killing gains. Now I never train longer than 1.5 hour (not including weighted stretching)
How are you doing to prevent cortisol to kill your gains ?
I pin slin one hour before I start training to prevent too much cortisol. Bo you think it works ? (I do it again post W/O)

It's safe to say you know nothing about cortisol. Try researching it.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
None of the acute, training driven, changes in hormones matter. None of it.
The hormone hypothesis was based off acute data showing correlations between what happens to test/gh/cortisol/whatever and MPS. Then they found that none of this shit correlated to long term gains = it doesn't matter.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
None of the acute, training driven, changes in hormones matter. None of it.
The hormone hypothesis was based off acute data showing correlations between what happens to test/gh/cortisol/whatever and MPS. Then they found that none of this shit correlated to long term gains = it doesn't matter.

I think your mention of long term is key there. And I think the best way to control your cortisol is to not cut workouts short, but to be on top of your diet and recovery including sleep.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I think your mention of long term is key there. And I think the best way to control your cortisol is to not cut workouts short, but to be on top of your diet and recovery including sleep.

I don't think cortisol control should be a goal for most outside of the usual stuff you mentioned that goes hand in hand with living a better life - improve sleep, reduce stress, etc.
It goes up during a workout because training is a stimuli based on stressing the body, which leads to the body ADAPTING over the long term (key to all gains). In other words, its a necessary part of the machine and inhibition would be a bad thing.
Just keep lifting progressively on a decent programme and leave all this signalling stuff alone.

Purely from a fuel perspective, I do agree with your suggestion for adding some gatorade, maybe even a bit of whey protein/EAAs mixed in, for longer sessions though.
I used to have a formula written down somewhere about the ideal carb-protein ratio to use per hour per ML of liquid but **** me if I can find it anytime soon. I will say that gatorade is a perfect intra-wo carb blend, you don't need to splash cash on any of those expensive bullshit alternatives.

Last edited:

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gatorade is my go to intra and has been for years. There really is no reason for me to look into anything else.

Reaction score
Thank you Milo. To-morrow, I train 2.5 hours (chest, arms, quads, calves and abs) + weighted stretching. My coach won't be here.
My coach only allows clear water during training to have blood in muscles and not in the stomach

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Thank you Milo. To-morrow, I train 2.5 hours (chest, arms, quads, calves and abs) + weighted stretching. My coach won't be here.
My coach only allows clear water during training to have blood in muscles and not in the stomach
You need a new coach

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

If you have blood in your stomach you should see the doctor. Probably an ulcer

New Threads