Will my program give me balanced and effective results? (Novice)

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Hypertrophy is the end goal, but I need to build foundational strength too.

It's really a joint package with a slight emphasis on one or the other - focusing on hypertrophy doesn't mean you won't get stronger.

The big issue I have with the full body approach, and your workout setup demonstrates this, is that it's simply not possible to focus on everything you want to focus on without spending hours in the gym. For example, deadlifts. How much benefit is 1x8 per week really doing? IME, not much.

So I'd either:
- Keep your big 3 and settle on fixed accessory work.
So 3-4 sets of 8-12 on squat, bench, row along with 3-4 accessory lifts of your choice (I'd go with side lateral raise/face pulls, GHRs, bi/tri work and pull ups) at 2-3 sets of 10-15. You can rotate the accessory work every 6-8 weeks to focus on other things while keep progress on the big lifts linear if the results justify it.

- Switch to an upper/lower approach.
The main advantage here being the reduced workout times and allowing you to do all the movements you wish without some bullshit minimal volume (1 set, etc). Easy example:
Upper - Horizontal row, horizontal push, vertical pull, shoulders, bi/tri, traps/shoulders, core work
Lower - Squat, hip hinge movement, quad move, unilateral leg move, calves, core work
The template allows you to hit each muscle group optimally while allowing variation over the long term (swap squats for box squats, swap DLs for RDLs, swap BB row for T bar row, etc, etc). Volume stays the same for the time being but, over time you can mess around with that as you each depending on progress.

Either way, don't get lost in the details too much. As a novice, any non-retarded program would work just fine and there is no need to go OTT with it :)

Reaction score
It's really a joint package with a slight emphasis on one or the other - focusing on hypertrophy doesn't mean you won't get stronger.

The big issue I have with the full body approach, and your workout setup demonstrates this, is that it's simply not possible to focus on everything you want to focus on without spending hours in the gym. For example, deadlifts. How much benefit is 1x8 per week really doing? IME, not much.

So I'd either:
- Keep your big 3 and settle on fixed accessory work.
So 3-4 sets of 8-12 on squat, bench, row along with 3-4 accessory lifts of your choice (I'd go with side lateral raise/face pulls, GHRs, bi/tri work and pull ups) at 2-3 sets of 10-15. You can rotate the accessory work every 6-8 weeks to focus on other things while keep progress on the big lifts linear if the results justify it.

- Switch to an upper/lower approach.
The main advantage here being the reduced workout times and allowing you to do all the movements you wish without some bullshit minimal volume (1 set, etc). Easy example:
Upper - Horizontal row, horizontal push, vertical pull, shoulders, bi/tri, traps/shoulders, core work
Lower - Squat, hip hinge movement, quad move, unilateral leg move, calves, core work
The template allows you to hit each muscle group optimally while allowing variation over the long term (swap squats for box squats, swap DLs for RDLs, swap BB row for T bar row, etc, etc). Volume stays the same for the time being but, over time you can mess around with that as you each depending on progress.

Either way, don't get lost in the details too much. As a novice, any non-retarded program would work just fine and there is no need to go OTT with it :)

Thanks a lot. Great reply and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

New Threads