Will my program give me balanced and effective results? (Novice)

Reaction score
Day I

Low-bar squat 3X5 (or) 8
Bench press 3X5 (or) 8
Pendlay rows 3X5 (or) 8

Chin-ups 3X8-10
Chest dips 3X8-10
Side-lateral raises 3X10
Barbell curls 3X10

Day II

Low-bar squat 3X5 (or) 8
Bench press 3X5 (or) 8
Pendlay rows 3X5 (or) 8

Deadlifts 1X5 (or) 8
Romanian deadlifts 2X8
Overhead press 3X8
Straight-arm pull-downs 3X12-15

Day III

Low-bar squat 3X5 (or) 8
Bench press 3X5 (or) 8
Pendlay rows 3X5 (or) 8

Pull-ups 3X8-10
Glute-ham raises 3X10-12
Face-pulls 3X12-15
Cable overhead triceps extensions 3X10

The 5 (or) 8 reps for the main lifts depend upon linear progression stalls. The idea is that when I plateau on 5 reps then I switch to 8 reps till the next pleateau and then alternate back and forth accordingly.

Any advice, feedback, or modification suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt squat low bar 3 times a week. Your shoulders will fall apart and cause hell for your bench.

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for replying. Are you sure, even for someone still lifting novice weights? Squatting with under 200lbs on the bar?

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Let me ask why do you want to low bar 3 times a week? There are tons of squat variations. Youre basically just doing a low bar workout 3 times a week. I would take one of te squat days out and do more on the other 2.

Reaction score
I assumed a squat frequency of 3X a week was optimal for building a strength foundation, because Rippetoe and many others program with it for full body novice routines.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
3 days per week squatting is ok. But it will make you very tight. However doing it with an Olympic bar all 3 times is gonna **** you up. Serious elbow pain.

Linear progression is stupid. Waiting until you stall out before making changes is just dumb.

Rippetoe is a ****ing idiot never do anything his bitch ass says.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I assumed a squat frequency of 3X a week was optimal for building a strength foundation, because Rippetoe and many others program with it for full body novice routines.

Here's what I mean about 3 times a week... youre squatting 3 sets of 5-8 once per workout, 3 times a week. I think youd be better off with something like Day 1: Your low bar squat, followed by something that aint a squat, then a squat variation like maybe high bar pause squat/SSB squat/front squat/even leg press. Then Day 3 could be similar. I dont think your quads will grow that well with what you have there and youre going to be hurting with that much low bar regardless of weight.

Reaction score
3 days per week squatting is ok. But it will make you very tight. However doing it with an Olympic bar all 3 times is gonna **** you up. Serious elbow pain.

Linear progression is stupid. Waiting until you stall out before making changes is just dumb.

Rippetoe is a ****ing idiot never do anything his bitch ass says.

What sort of progression scheme do you recommend?

Reaction score
Here's what I mean about 3 times a week... youre squatting 3 sets of 5-8 once per workout, 3 times a week. I think youd be better off with something like Day 1: Your low bar squat, followed by something that aint a squat, then a squat variation like maybe high bar pause squat/SSB squat/front squat/even leg press. Then Day 3 could be similar. I dont think your quads will grow that well with what you have there and youre going to be hurting with that much low bar regardless of weight.

If I'm going to do that, wouldn't it be better to just do a 4 day upper/lower instead?

For what it's worth I don't really get DOMS to any significant degree anymore and have yet to experience structural, joint pain, etc. So while I hate squats as much as anyone while I'm doing them, they're not painful in a bad way (so far.)

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to do that, wouldn't it be better to just do a 4 day upper/lower instead?

For what it's worth I don't really get DOMS to any significant degree anymore and have yet to experience structural, joint pain, etc. So while I hate squats as much as anyone while I'm doing them, they're not painful in a bad way (so far.)

Upper/lowers are great, you have other options though. If you dont like something, dont do it. If you arent getting sore though, you need to change shit up. Stan Efferding himself would be crippled after a leg day.
The fact that you havent experienced pain yet doesnt mean a damn thing. Low bar squats hate **** your shoulders into submission. Then you get elbow pain. Then bicep pain. Then pec pain. There are way better options than just low bar squatting 3 times a week then calling your quads taken care of. Forget about the shoulder pain. Give yourself variation.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Wtf. Are you trying to make them hurt?

Also 2x on pillar. Rumpletoe is a friggin hack.

Reaction score
Upper/lowers are great, you have other options though. If you dont like something, dont do it. If you arent getting sore though, you need to change shit up. Stan Efferding himself would be crippled after a leg day.
The fact that you havent experienced pain yet doesnt mean a damn thing. Low bar squats hate **** your shoulders into submission. Then you get elbow pain. Then bicep pain. Then pec pain. There are way better options than just low bar squatting 3 times a week then calling your quads taken care of. Forget about the shoulder pain. Give yourself variation.

I actually like upper/lower splits quite a bit. I was running one before mono ass-****ed me for 6 weeks and I wasted away back down to embarassing low weights. It's just I've had it drilled into me that full body is the "right" way to do it until you can basically squat twice your body weight, which I'm a far cry from being able to do.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid ****ing rule.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for replying. Are you sure, even for someone still lifting novice weights? Squatting with under 200lbs on the bar?

You can continue to squat under 200 lbs 3x/week; I'm sure your body will allow that. But if you intend on doing 2-3x that, you're going to need more recovery.

You're goal is hopefully not to continue to squat 200 lbs.... currect? Then listen to Milo.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
If you're gonna be an ungrateful cuck then pound sand.

Reaction score
I wasn't being ungrateful. I simply missed that he was quoting/answering a question from page 1 when I asked for what type of progression he recommended.

My reply to that comment was made because the last thing I posted was concerning the specific programs that people here recommend. I mistakenly assumed he was suggesting DUP to that question and not the one from before about progression schemes.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with full body workouts. I don't have an issue with squatting 3x week. I don't have an issue with linear progression.

All I want to know is - is your main goal strength or hypertrophy?

New Threads