on a cut and need advice how to keep it up with these circumstances.

Reaction score
Okay i'm cutting at the moment and have started this week while on a holiday from work and so far so good... been watching what I eat and cooking at home etc...

Problem I have is when I return to work.... and that's where I need you guys to suggest things.

I work away from home so my eating habits are as follows..

Morning - whatever I can get in a Garage/Petrol station or supermarket depending whats on way to work or last ditch drive thru food.
During work hours - whatever I could also have bought at the same time as breakfast...
Dinner - hotel food... usually chain resteraunts or if near a superstore can grab something.

I had a go at it the week before I stopped for my holiday and was able to get a good enough dinner... few salad boxes.. some cooked eggs... cooked chicken... bit of salad dressing... and grabbed a few protein bars called hike for snacking and cups of tea in the hotel room.

But breakfast is a tricky one as it's usually like Tesco express so those meal deals are the usual grabs... you know the deli wrap meal deals or something.

The biggest issue is getting my 260g of protein without eating complete crap and ruining my cut... what would you suggest for snacking on during the day to help hit this total ?

or is 267g doable with just breakfast and dinner at night ?

any suggestions would be most grateful.

I don't take any shakes or anything so it's from food I try to hit my protein from...

I'm 6 foot 2 inches and 267 pounds.

Reaction score
Meal prep. No food at the gas station is gonna be good...if you're serious about your diet and transforming your body you will need to be dedicated and consistent with the diet. If you really want it, you will make it happen. Diet can be a bitch with work and w.e. else you have going on in ur life. If you make it a routine habit it's not so bad. Also Rotisserie chickens from walmart or stop & shop are healthier quick choices if you're in a rush, also a bag of uncle bens white jasmine rice..add avocado and its not bad. Shakes can definitely help....Whey isolate. If you're on a serious cut watch the carbs. keeps saturated fats low and protein high.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Can you prep food while you're at home and put it in a cooler to take with you. I have a big cooler that plugs into both the car and the wall that works well for this. I don't know how you're traveling, but if you're driving car or truck this could be an option. Also picking up food long the way at grocery stores that doesn't require cooking. I'm thinking cottage cheese, deli meat, stuff like that.

SHRUGS

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You could always order up a few jugs of MuscleEgg it comes in all kinds of flavors.
!S!

Reaction score
We travel by van and theres 3 of us crammed in it when driving all using the one cig lighter socket to charge phones etc.... so no chance of the cooler idea, i am also working away for 4 nights at a time so preparing food wouldnt be much good for anymore than the first day as it would go off ?

So i really am limited to garages and superstores... if im lucky i can get the superstore everyday but some mornings it is the nearest place to the jobsite and most of the time it works out the garage, there is the occasional time where we have a later start and can have breakfast in hotel and i get some sausage/egg/oatmeal etc..

from what i've read i need 267g of protein and for cutting just under 3000cals for my height and weight, so it's not a problem for me to miss a few meals when working away and just have a big dinner, it's just getting my protein daily i worry about.

Reaction score
Cooler with ice? Can you strap it to your work vehicle? Sodium aside, you're probably going to have a difficult time hitting your macros and your protein goal with the options you seem to have available.
Protein shakes purchased from the stores might be your best bet, but can be expensive and are not as desirable as whole food calorie sources.
You don't want to miss a few meals and eat a big dinner, as this can lead to overeating.
Best of luck.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Tough one but Chemist is right, if you want it bad enough you'll find a way.
I lived out of a hotel room with coolers full of ice and food every week for a long time, refilled them come Sunday night to take on the road for the next week. Suckfest, but doable.

How are training while on the road?

Reaction score
yeah im struggling to think how im gonna get round this...

i'm just gonna aim to get food with as high a protein content when im in the superstore and fill myself up with it and leafy salad packs and do my best to get as near to my protein requirement..

i dont actually do any of my working out through the week and only at the weekend when i return... so i'm thinking precooked chicken in packets, precooked boiled eggs, salad packs with some low fat mayo and greek yog etc... my job is very active so i will have a few more cals i can have while away 8 hours of walking,lifting,climbing ladders etc.. i know i will be able to keep in a deficit no problems with the labour of the job aswell it's just hitting my protein levels so im not losing muscle while cutting.

cheers for the help guys n gals.

Reaction score
the issue i have with cooking for a week also is that while im away im given a daily allowance from the work, that is only useable on the day... so i get my breakfast hotel and dinner paid for... if i started cooking at home it would be coming out of my pocket and the company wouldnt accept me looking for reimbursement so it needs to be food on the day bought, if i started paying for own food the job would not be worth it as i save a ton through the works payments...

so i get like 10 pound for breakfast and 20 pound for dinner..... that can be spent anywhere i choose but needs to be within a certain mileage of the hotel we stay at night... it's all such a pain in the arse... but the only way i have been able to make it work slightly is..... pots of oatmeal that you add water that contain protein, protein fruit bars but have a lot of cals and then buying cooked meat with salad boxes.. pain in the hole.

New Threads