Help: Exercises to do/avoid post SLAP repair surgery to get back in game

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Been all over google, searched here, seeing all kinds of varying thoughts/ideas; but seeing how we have so many athletes/trainers and ive never been steered wrong listening to the bro's here, am looking for any help trying to develope a post surgery program to get back on track.

currently going on 8weeks post op, PT 3x's a week, just got into strengthening shoulder at week 6 with very light band work, 2lb dumbbell, arm bicycle, pulleys, yoga ball, etc...pt gal is great and she said week 10 before ANY sort of gym type exercises can begin, and even then it has to be empty bar at best/light DB's since it will be about a year before the body can tolerate the pain from loading and even then if any sharp pain happens, stop immediately. Obviously im going to ask her training ideas since she specializes in shoulders/knees and is a gym rat herself; but i want as much input as possible since i know many here have had various injuries and have come back from them.

so as i ease back into upper body training, what would be a good program to do since heavy loads will be prohibited until at least the 1yr mark. Soup can curls? Aka life ght weight but focus on a 2/4 count and tight squeeze at top of motion? Minimal rest between sets of lighter weight to keep wearing on muscles? Any exercises to highlight/avoid? Keep reading military press, shoulder raises, dips r big no no, and to keep hands in neutral position to keep shoulder closed since opening it up puts a ton of strain on the repaired area.

ive lost a ton of size since ive been unable to do any upper body since november of 2016, and will be next month before i can try anything, so obviously strength will be tanked....but i just want to get some size back if thats even possible. Been on my trt dose since being told i cant do upper body and dont know if itd be worth adding things/upping things at this point (kind of personal fear of exceeding current stage of repair quicker than its ready for)

sorry so long, but am desperate for ideas/plan, and dont know what to do so reaching out to get some mass back upstairs :(

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Bump for anything?

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I am assuming that you had shoulder surgery? Maybe rotator cuff? I don't know what SLAP is sorry.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Ripped some of the labrum away they had to sew back to bone.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
A file has been shared via Link sharing:
https://s.amsu.ng/rA0eBG9nGbxN
(expires: Apr 21, 2017)

Let me know if this link works. Page 9 of the PDF has specific precautions r/t weight training. If the link doesn't work let me know. I asked two of the ortho surgeons I work with, while one was more conservative the consensus was to get your ROM back in line first and start gradually increasing what you do. Your PT should be on top of that. And don't push through pain when you start back with the weights. Take your time brother, you're not gonna disappear.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Brick, says file not ready, after shower and shot ill check desktop and see if that changes things.

saw surgeon yesterday so asked him same question, he smiled and said, "well, you arent lifting anything over 5lbs for another 8weeks, after that, im kicking your ass to the curb and you can do anything you want because your body will be as healed as it will get, just work back slowly and lightly before losing your mind

ROM im ahead of schedule by 3 weeks so everybody is pumped about that. Im at 179*, 172*, on arm raises front/side with 180 being normal i guess or where i need to be, and 62* on external rotation of forearm..that is still tight but is the one we have to baby because thats the labrum destroyer if we rush. But im obsessive with my pt and determined to get back at this so i believe thats helping.

All he said was be very weary with dips, military presses, shoulder raises, upright rows...other stuff, pain will be the guide. So guess 8weeks yet before shit gets real :(

PT im doing more weight, but they both (pt gal/doctor) said thats fine, its by design, but not meant for a go ahead on my own at gym..YET. BUT, you realize how pathetic it feels/looks curling a 1lb db, next session a 2lb, yeaterday i talked her into a 5lb lmfao. Other pt guy that used to powerlift walked by and said "curls for the girls"...just asked, aint you got a crossfit class to attend dickhead lol. October doing 3 sets of 10 with 55lbs, now im doing a 5lber for 2 sets of 15...just dont seem American:)

thanks again Brick, ill check back on link shortly:)

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think it's gonna load, I sent a pm.

New Threads