Question-Energy stores in the Human Body

Reaction score
Hello guys.
There is a lot of misinformation on this topic on the internet,and so i wanted to see some of your opinions in this matter.
The energy reserves in the human body:
fuel sourse.jpg
forum psotare.jpg
To get to the 4 (fat )..you must burn all the other energy stores..that is like 2000-3000 calories.
That is why a lot of people continue to claim that you don't burn shit..with 30-60 minutes of LISS cardio every morning on an empty stomach.
The Big picture..we all know...Energy in vs Energy out...but at one moment in time..for example Monday 7 a.m bike ride for 1 hour,
At that moment in time taking in consideration that our liver glycogen is depleted ( 7 hours sleep) and we got just muscle fat...fat...and muscle glycogen..What do we burn?
Is the ""There is 99,9% NO way you are burning fat with your glycogen stores intact" a myth or not?
I am not an expert and I did not found any Scientific evidence concerning this matter.
Any experience you guys had with this matter would be helpful.
Thank you.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All energy systems are on all the time. Some to a greater degree than others depending on what you are doing. I would just suggest you focus on energy in versus energy out. If energy in is less than out nature will take its course.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
As POB stated, all energy systems are on all the time so you do not need to exhaust glycogen stores to get to the fat.

As to your example, at low intensity fat would be the main energy source used for most. The reason it isn't "shit" is due to the intensity - the caloric burn isn't going to be high regardless.

Muscle loss during cardio is really a non-issue (I haven't seen any data suggesting its something to worry about) but yes, 5-10% of the energy used during a typical 1hr carido session (70%+ HR) does come from protein. I will note that most of the case studies on natural bodybuilders have shown an association between cardio frequency and muscle loss BUT it is just an association so caution is a good idea when interpreting this. I'll happily post the cases if you wish.

Also note that your capacity as well as sex makes a difference in substrate utilization. Both elite endurance athletes and females in general tend to utilize fat to a higher degree than other men even when the intensity of the aerobic activity goes up. Just a small point to illustrate that context matters.

Reaction score
Thanks Zilla...and Pillar.
So...in the end...30 minutes in the morning on an empty stomach will not hurt..:)
Going to test that for one month.
Zilla post some links man....let's read a little bit..:D

New Threads