Cracking the hard-boiled egg

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As we know eggs are indeed incredible protein sources. Hard boiled eggs are extremely durable in lunch boxes, lunch bags and on the front seat of your car. One drawback can be that damned egg holding on to its shell. After trying several cooking methods here is what I came up with.

Buy your eggs and allow them to rest at least 1 week in the frig. I buy 2-3 24 packs of 'organic' eggs at Costco every 2 weeks and always use the oldest package to hard boil.

Set the seasoned eggs out and allow them to acclimate to room temperature.

Bring a large (5qt +) pot to boil with 1/2 cup baking soda. All you need is enough water to cover the eggs, but enough surface area as to not create 'stacking'. The deep pot is best as the soda speckles your stove top but wipes right up easily.

Carefully lower the room temperature eggs into the boiling soda water and boil for 12 minutes.

Remove immediately and refrigerate overnight before peeling.

I have had no issues storing the eggs up to 7 days in the frig. I have transported the hard boiled eggs in my hot motorcycle saddlebags for 10 hours and being warm they are a little hard going down but no stomach issues.

PFM

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the baking soda? I haven't heard of that.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I heard salt.. tried it and it did help

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the baking soda? I haven't heard of that.

I can only speculate soda (or salt) penetrates the shell and assists in breaking down the membrane attaching the shell to the white.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fact: most countries don't refrigerate eggs. So don't get weird about leaving them out a bit to get to room temp!

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Fact: most countries don't refrigerate eggs. So don't get weird about leaving them out a bit to get to room temp!

Ate them right out from under a chickens ass, and to the pan without any worries. Older eggs peel better when boiled, hands down.

Beefcake

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Baking soda and peel while warm, not hot

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
they smell like the inside of pobs ass..I like chopping greens up with bacon and rice..Then I mix my eggs in the bitch ..bundy eggs

Reaction score
Drink the eggs whole, uncooked, excellent protein. Saw it in a movie once

Reaction score
Raw eggs are worthless for protein. Avidin needs to be broke down by heat to be bio available. Even if its just pasteurizing quick like.

Reaction score
I worked in a restaurant for a while and used to peel like 40 hard boiled eggs at a time. Just boil them, crack them, dump them in some cold water and let them soak for a few, then start peeling.

New Threads