New Guy, 1 month in

Reaction score
Whats up everyone.
So i am new to this board and lifting, yes i know i will already get some experienced guys giving me **** about my newbiness. I joined this board cause from what i can see is that guys who lift and use roids usually know a hell of alot more than the 'natural lifters', you gotta be very experienced before you start going down that road. So much respect to all of you.
I started lifting one month ago due to my size really, my whole family is skinny. I finally said **** this and stop blaming my genetics like so many guys do. I have gained 8 lbs in the first 4 weeks, which i think is pretty good, but a hell of a way to still go seeing as im now at 151 lbs :32 (11):
I would love criticism or advice as i explain what i am doing currently. My goal is 190 lbs on my 6ft frame, i am small boned so i feel this will suit my body type.
I am currently working a full time job from 6:30 to 6 Monday to Friday, so i usually work out after work seeing as i have to drive an hour to get there.
So i am splitting my workouts into
Monday - Back and Bi
Tuesday - Chest and Tri
Wednesday - Shoulders and Legs
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rotating one day per week of the Monday Tuesday Wednesday routine
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

I read especially for new lifter like me i need a few more rest days for first few months, especially at my size i need to build my frame up before i start to stress it too much.

Now most important part - DIET
So im currently consuming around 3500 calories per day and as much protein as i can stuff in, usually around 200-250 grams. at this point i feel like throwing up everyday im so full but thats the point correct? keep myself stuffed with food.
Right now i just need to pack on the pounds so im using a bulking shake by GNC with 1300 calories per serving. Is there a better product for me out there? Im also using for the past week the pre workout NO Explode, i can already feel me having extra lifting energy with that so i feel good there.

As i said im very new so take it easy lol. Or dont, good motivation.

Thanks

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
Nice intro, welcome to the underground! Looks like you're on the right path, weights and food!

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Hi SunsFan.
Welcome to the board.
Great start, keep doing what your doing. Even when the gains slow.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UG. Nobody is going to bust your balls. Had you said you wanted to jump on a pile of steroids already then yeah.

As far as your training goes you could make some improvements. Especially given you schedule. 3 to 4 days per week would be sufficient. Where you are trying to gain weight 3 days is what I would do.

Don't make it complex. Simple but heavy barbell movements are all you need. Many different approaches you can take too.

There are even template training programs that you can use like 5/3/1 Or 5th set or 10/20/life.

Or just go in day one and do some pressing. Day two do does and day three smash the **** out of legs.

Eat your meals be patient and consistent.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcome.

Right now im basically doing 2 sets of 8-10 reps then one more set of as heavy as i can, usually get about 5 reps in that last set.
i do 3 exercises per body part.
Trying to get my dead lift as a big part of my routine. Where would be the best place to slide this in? it usually hits alot of muscle groups so just wondering if its best to do this on a back day?
There are so many routines out there and trying to filter through all the sh** is tough seeing as im new.
Like PillarofBalance said, trying to smash my legs and deadlift in my opinion will add mass.
Im skipping my abs right now as i dont really care about that until my weight is way up. Good or Bad idea?

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome, great intro and great mind-set so far. As per your deadlift question, at the beginning stages, you may want a separation of a day or two between squats and deads as your legs and low back will be aching... But like Pillar suggested, for growth/size, nothing is better than heavy compound lifts (+caloric surplus). I remember back in my newbie years when I decided to get serious and started deadlifting twice per week and my muscle mass shot up like I had never seen before with regular bodybuilding style lifting. Also, I wouldnt worry about abs at this point, thats mostly diet anyways... The deads and squats will work your abs plenty... Keep working hard, keep a log of everything you do, and feel free to reach out for help.

Last edited:

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome SunsFan;

Great first post. You wont get flamed unless you come here looking for a quick fix. Diet and training are key. I usually throw deadlift in with back. As was said, keep your diet on track and be patient. Gains will come. I have been where you are so trust me when I say, it will come. Eating is tough, I will rephrase, eating a lot (clean) is tough. You mentioned a bulking shake.... I am not a big fan of those, mainly because they are packed with sugar but if you continue, keep an eye on that gut. lol I get most of my calories from food. I do have a couple protein shakes a day. Any way good luck and you have come to the right place. This guys are great!

MT

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG!

Reaction score
Looking good man lot of great info and a lot of great people on this board hope to see you around

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground....good to have you

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Welcome man. 8 pounds in a month is ****ing awesome. Ur doing something right so stick with it. Like pillar said four days training is plenty. Don't go over five days. You know diet is key and that is even more awesomerest. Lol

Heavy barbell movements are a MUST for newer lifters. Squats, deadlift, bench, ohp, rows and so on. Those will build your base the best. U can still do all the other isolation movements as well just make sure u hammer those barbell movements with everything u got. High reps low reps super sets drop set do them all.

And stick around man. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You seem to know what u want and have a desire to get there which is great

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to coach this dude for nothing just cause I have never actually worked with someone this green before.

Would be cool to watch him blow up.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Fukin crazy, "no roids" hahaha. Welcome to the UG.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to UGBB. Good advice above and great to see NOT a twenty something know-it-all who only wants somebody to tell them its ok to do what they know they shouldnt be doing. You are definitely on the right track and sound like you're already making great progress. Patience and persistence are key, this is a long game. Stick around, the brothers on here represent a lot of years of wisdom and experience when it comes to the iron game.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome and support.
I will make sure to post pics when i get my weight up of before and after. (gotta work on my poses, and have something to pose with haha)

New Threads