Another middle aged guy here looking to get back into shape

Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while.

I'm a middle aged guy who's in the middle of losing some weight to get back into shape. Got another 20 lbs to go, then looking to work on the muscles. Not sure that's the best way or not but it's my plan. Been counting calories and eating my protein and doing my cardio. In a few months hopefully will be looking to build up the muscle to fill out the physique.

But anyways, thought I'd post my intro here while I probably go mostly back to lurking till I need some advise.

bsw5

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG. Why wait on building muscle?? If I were you I would incorporate lifting in with my cardio.

Reaction score
Welcome to the UG. Why wait on building muscle?? If I were you I would incorporate lifting in with my cardio.

I probably should for muscle retention, but my primary goal has been getting the pounds off first. I mean, I know there are different schools of thought on this, but I also know I'm not going to build any real muscle at my deficit.

I started at one point doing strong lifts but once I hit the wall, it really didn't look like I was gonna break through and I assumed that was the calorie deficit.

I guess, I'd ask, what would you suggest? I'm at a point where I feel like I've nailed down the nutrition end of it for weight loss pretty well. I know there's going to be a new phase of learning it for building muscle because I'm struggling to get a decent amount of protein now...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome and don't crawl back into the woodwork.

FYI, you can lose drop fat and gain muscle.

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! I agree with snake! I'm 60lbs lighter on the scale than I was 14 months ago, and my build is completely different. It's a struggle to get bigger and stronger on a deficit but it can be done! Doc pointed me towards less volume and more intensity and it seems to work. Good luck!

Reaction score
What are the nutritional requirements to build weight on a deficit? What kinda deficit did you run? I'd be interested in more info on building on a deficit but I thought it was mostly a lost cause.

I guess I'd say I'm currently hesitant to do anything that cuts into my current cut. I'm getting pretty good results now and think I have things pretty dialed in. Wanted to get a few more pounds off before I mess with anything (15 lbs currently would make me pretty happy).