What is your opinion on high-frequency training?

Reaction score
I figured I should post this here in the General because it's the most active. Sorry. Anyway...

What is your opinion on high-frequency training? It took my squat from 335 to 405 in less than 2 months. And then I plateaued. There was minimal hypertrophy for me since I was lifting maximal weights, 6 days a week.

I assume you are all familiar with the so-called Bulgarian Weightlifting Method?

Reaction score
I'd say it's better for hypertrophy than strength, as the CNS is taxed less.
That's a subjective statement. There's probably some research floating around on the subject.

I train 6 days a week, currently PPL split 2xs/week, and have experienced hypertrophy and strength gains. I never go for max lifts, though.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
It has its place but should be cycled with other forms of training to avoid plateaus.

Reaction score
I'd say it's better for hypertrophy than strength, as the CNS is taxed less.
That's a subjective statement. There's probably some research floating around on the subject.

I train 6 days a week, currently PPL split 2xs/week, and have experienced hypertrophy and strength gains. I never go for max lifts, though.

PPL as in Push/Pull/Legs, right?

I did that too back when I was a kid. It was literally the very first training program I've ever done in the gym. That was also the first time I've been in a gym. Great results. And like you, I also did it 6 days a week. PPL split twice a week.

Reaction score
PPL as in Push/Pull/Legs, right?

I did that too back when I was a kid. It was literally the very first training program I've ever done in the gym. That was also the first time I've been in a gym. Great results. And like you, I also did it 6 days a week. PPL split twice a week.

Yep. Push/Pull/Legs.
I've done body part splits, etc., but I think PPL is the best course for me right now.

Reaction score
It has its place but should be cycled with other forms of training to avoid plateaus.
Agreed. I did body part splits for a while, training six days a week with a 4 day split. Two groups got hit twice a week and the other once, and so on.
Doing PPL now at 6 days for about 16 weeks, then I'll change it up again.

Reaction score
im still trying to figure out wjat works best for me I go back and forth with a couple different ways every 5/6 weeks

Reaction score
I like to hear everyones methods and what works best for them , I know ripedzilla has some really good methods behind many different ways !

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
The Russians love it and they are some crazy strong bastards

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
im still trying to figure out wjat works best for me I go back and forth with a couple different ways every 5/6 weeks

Thats exactly what you should be doing young. Changing that shit up gonna get you the best results

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I'd give something more than 5 weeks to see real results brother. Give it like three months to see if it's working for u.
That is solid advice. It takes longer than a month to see results.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Strength versus hypertrophy will occur depending on your rep ranges and intensity levels. It doesn't have to be frequent maximal or even near max effort training. You can squat 4 x per week and your legs will grow. Just do more than heavy triples and shit.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
High frequency training is awesome, just not with max intensity every session. Hell, even if you look at typical powerlifting and olympic weightlifting training cycles, it doesn't involve max intensity at every session but does involve relatively high frequency - so this isn't an hypertrophy exclusive rule.

A quick note on the Bulgarian method - if your a natural lifter, which I think you are judging from your intro thread, then you need to be aware that this method was designed with advanced, enhanced lifters in mind. It is, IME, complete overkill for naturals since very few have the recovery capacity to cope with it over a long-ish cycle.
Also, it isn't appropriate for those with hypertrophy as the main goal - it was designed to optimize the olympic lifts after all.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
High frequency training is awesome, just not with max intensity every session. Hell, even if you look at typical powerlifting and olympic weightlifting training cycles, it doesn't involve max intensity at every session but does involve relatively high frequency - so this isn't an hypertrophy exclusive rule.

A quick note on the Bulgarian method - if your a natural lifter, which I think you are judging from your intro thread, then you need to be aware that this method was designed with advanced, enhanced lifters in mind. It is, IME, complete overkill for naturals since very few have the recovery capacity to cope with it over a long-ish cycle.
Also, it isn't appropriate for those with hypertrophy as the main goal - it was designed to optimize the olympic lifts after all.
To add on to what you said about the Bulgarian Method, these guys were in a controlled environment and monitored 24/7. They didn't have jobs, they didnt have lives, they just lifted under strict supervision and living conditions. This is an unrealistic training program for 99% of people.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
To add on to what you said about the Bulgarian Method, these guys were in a controlled environment and monitored 24/7. They didn't have jobs, they didnt have lives, they just lifted under strict supervision and living conditions. This is an unrealistic training program for 99% of people.

I don't recall the numbers but Abadjiev started with like 60 lifters and ended with maybe 13 or some shit.

Dudes couldn't hang. And these were supposed to be the best of the best.

3 x per day training. Working up to a max more than once per day.

Nuts. Couldn't work in PL. Not even close.

New Threads