My weight loss/recomp protocol

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new hereand would like to receive informed opinions on my currently planned nutritionand training protocol. In the following plan I applied my full knowledge of allproven and effective concepts in fitness and nutrition that I researched in orderto achieve maximum results for my objectives. My plan is to completelytransform my body so I will use the best weapons available. Below you have mypersonal details and the plan I'm going to apply. How do you think this willwork if I follow it?

Personal Info

Male, 29 years,1,74m height, 80 kg weight, 21-22% BF
Training 6 days aweek (medium-high physical activity level)
Lifting experience< 2 years
Lifting consistently< 1 year
BMR 1700 kcal
TDEE 2000-2100 kcal(5-6 days a week)

Objective

Maximize fat losswhile maximizing LBM preservation and/or slight LBM increase

Current Protocol

Diet

Low carb, low fat,high protein, carb cycling applied and carb meals consumed only post workout
Deficit 500-700 kcalper day

200gr omelette (4eggs) - 320 kcal 20 prot 0 carbs
50gr white bread -40 kcal 1 prot 10 carbs
100gr proteinisolate powder - 380 kcal 75 prot 20 carbs
200gr turkey breast- 280 kcal 60 prot 0 carbs
175gr light cottagecheese - 150 kcal 15 prot 0 carbs
+ 200gr basmati rice- 160 kcal 3 prot 32 carbs - only after workouts in training days

Total 1200 kcal 170 prot 30 carb rest days -deficit ~ 500 kcal
1360 kcal 172 prot 62 carb workoutdays - deficit ~ 600-700 kcal

Supplementation

Test Prop 500mg /week
Fat Burner
Omega 3-6

Training

5-6 times a weekweights - 45-60 min / session

Day 1 - Chest - 4compound exercises + 1 isolation at end
Day 2 - Biceps - 4compound exercises + 1 isolation at end
Day 3 - Triceps /Forearms - 4 compound exercises + 1 isolation at end
Day 4 - Shoulders /Traps - 4 compound exercises + 1 isolation at end
Day 5 - Back - 4compound exercises + 1 isolation at end
Day 6 - Legs /Calves - 4 main exercises + 1 isolation at end

3-4 sets perexercise, 8-12 reps, 1-2 min timeout between

2-3 times a weekHIIT - 20 min / session after weights
3 times a week LISS- 30 min / session after weights

Concepts Applied

Intermittent Fastinga la Leangains (16/8) - eating from 12 PM to 8 PM
Fasted Training inthe morning (Weights 1st /Cardio 2nd)
HIIT 2-3 times aweek (20 min sessions with 1:1 sprint/rest ratio of 2min/2min)
Low carb diet (30grrest days, 60gr workout days)
Carb cycling (30grrest days, 60gr workout days)
1 cheat day a month(full blown cheat day with eating as much fast food as I want without countingcalories, usually 2 large pizzas and pasta), usually starts after a trainingsession and 2nd day is a lower calorie day for caloric mitigation

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I remember your 30 page thread from the other board. Glad you're taking things a bit slower and aren't pinning tren:)

Your plan will work, but it's way more complicated than it needs to be. But whatever works for you; if you like adhering to a lot of structures, then so be it.

Your calories are too low, especially considering how much you plan on training. Your metabolism will shut down with such an extreme deficit.

You say you'll train in the morning and have carbs post WO, but also say you're eating only from 12-8pm. How does that work? IMO drop the fasting. You've got enough going on.

I would recommend against fasted weight training- have some carbs pre workout. 30g or 60g isn't really carb cycling. You may want to consider going higher carb on back and leg day- to 150g or so.

Where is your AI? You're probably gonna have significant aromatization at your BF and that dose of prop.

Finally, it seems like this diet isn't your cup of tea based on your cheat day. I'd suggest finding a diet that doesn't make you want to eat so excessively on that day.

Most folks would probably advise you to drop the AAS, but I know you won't;)

Welcome!

Reaction score
I remember your 30 page thread from the other board. Glad you're taking things a bit slower and aren't pinning tren:)

Your plan will work, but it's way more complicated than it needs to be. But whatever works for you; if you like adhering to a lot of structures, then so be it.

Your calories are too low, especially considering how much you plan on training. Your metabolism will shut down with such an extreme deficit.

You say you'll train in the morning and have carbs post WO, but also say you're eating only from 12-8pm. How does that work? IMO drop the fasting. You've got enough going on.

I would recommend against fasted weight training- have some carbs pre workout. 30g or 60g isn't really carb cycling. You may want to consider going higher carb on back and leg day- to 150g or so.

Where is your AI? You're probably gonna have significant aromatization at your BF and that dose of prop.

Finally, it seems like this diet isn't your cup of tea based on your cheat day. I'd suggest finding a diet that doesn't make you want to eat so excessively on that day.

Most folks would probably advise you to drop the AAS, but I know you won't;)

Welcome!

Thanks for your thoughts. But if I am 500-600 kcal in deficit be it a training or non-training day , is that really too much considering I also run Test Prop to keep my LBM ? What should my deficit be like? Based on my calculations and a solid amount of previous research into the matter, I am in the higher range of a deficit but still in the safe range because of the AAS usage. I prefer a higher deficit to speed things up.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. But if I am 500-600 kcal in deficit be it a training or non-training day , is that really too much considering I also run Test Prop to keep my LBM ? What should my deficit be like? Based on my calculations and a solid amount of previous research into the matter, I am in the higher range of a deficit but still in the safe range because of the AAS usage. I prefer a higher deficit to speed things up.

I'm not an expert.

That amount of AAS will indeed preserve lean mass, but considering you're still new at this you'll most likely be able to lose fat while gaining muscle. More calories might aid in the muscle growth.

Can you fill us in on your training and AAS background?

Reaction score
I'm not an expert.

That amount of AAS will indeed preserve lean mass, but considering you're still new at this you'll most likely be able to lose fat while gaining muscle. More calories might aid in the muscle growth.

Can you fill us in on your training and AAS background?

I have been losing fat, preserving muscle and also putting a small amount of muscle in the process since January. I have some pics to show my progress, will attach below. I have been using Test Prop since the beginning, marking half a year since my start. I love the stuff more than anything. It makes me what nature failed to make me at birth. I have been training with circuits 3-4 times a week in the first 3 months and then switched to regular training 4-5 times a week. As you can see, the progress is huge. Lately though, It's been stalling and I hate my belly fat and just want to use all my weapons to maximize its destruction. Information is power, as you know, and I intend to apply it. I have been also using a diet similar to the one posted above to reach my current condition, it's been working good. I was consuming 1400-1500 kcal per day, which is just 200-300 below my BMR and 400-500 below my TDEE in training days. So nothing extreme with that.

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
  • progress2.jpg
    progress2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 20
  • progress3.jpg
    progress3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170520_121752.jpg
    20170520_121752.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Great progress.

You're probably stalled because you aren't eating enough. I'll let the others take over from here for a bit. Almost everybody is based in the states so people aren't on the board yet.

I think your TDEE is higher than you've calculated. Also I'd say you're under your estimated BF.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great progress.

You're probably stalled because you aren't eating enough. I'll let the others take over from here for a bit. Almost everybody is based in the states so people aren't on the board yet.

I think your TDEE is higher than you've calculated. Also I'd say you're under your estimated BF.

Not just enough but enough of what.

You can't eat a low fat and a low carb diet and expect to perform optimally. That's a shitty way to eat. We aren't dogs and we don't run on protein in the gym or really in general.

I haven't done the math but 1300 seems low as ****.

Plus the amount of cardio and weights you are doing is ridiculous. And what's this about training fasted?

Imo you shouldn't be cutting. You weight less that is 180lbs. You are small. You should he putting that test to better use and trying to grow. This whole plan seems ill conceived imo.

If I wrote this plan

4 days of weights
2 days of some HIIT (maybe) done after lifting

Moderate protein high carb low fat diet

Done.

Reaction score
Ok, but my BF is still high, so I need to cut absolutely without any doubts. My belly is fat, I have fat ALL AROUND my waist and torso, especially lower area. It's simply lots of fat, it needs to go before any bulking is attempted. Once and for all. I hate to have a belly and high BF. I can increase carbs and fats as you suggested and I can go to the gym 5 times a week. That's still sound advice to my eyes. Training fasted burns more fat, I can link studies and articles even from this site. As for weight, it's still in the normal range for my height.

Not just enough but enough of what.

You can't eat a low fat and a low carb diet and expect to perform optimally. That's a shitty way to eat. We aren't dogs and we don't run on protein in the gym or really in general.

I haven't done the math but 1300 seems low as ****.

Plus the amount of cardio and weights you are doing is ridiculous. And what's this about training fasted?

Imo you shouldn't be cutting. You weight less that is 180lbs. You are small. You should he putting that test to better use and trying to grow. This whole plan seems ill conceived imo.

If I wrote this plan

4 days of weights
2 days of some HIIT (maybe) done after lifting

Moderate protein high carb low fat diet

Done.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, but my BF is still high, so I need to cut absolutely without any doubts. My belly is fat, I have fat ALL AROUND my waist and torso, especially lower area. It's simply lots of fat, it needs to go before any bulking is attempted. Once and for all. I hate to have a belly and high BF. I can increase carbs and fats as you suggested and I can go to the gym 5 times a week. That's still sound advice to my eyes. Training fasted burns more fat, I can link studies and articles even from this site. As for weight, it's still in the normal range for my height.

Go ahead and link those studies we will be happy to show you it's a bad idea.

If you focused more on building muscle you would have better long term success is what I am getting at.

Reaction score

If you focused more on building muscle you would have better long term success is what I am getting at.

So I should eat at maintanance or surplus and build muscle even though I have a quite high BF still ? That's what you're suggesting me to do now? I can't build a lot of muscle otherwise, since I'm on a cut.
I got your point about training less , but how do you suggest me to eat and what should I do ?

Reaction score

I think POB is telling you that increased muscle = increased metabolism.

Reaction score
I think POB is telling you that increased muscle = increased metabolism.

Yes I know and I agree to it, but everything at the right time right? When cutting , the best way to achieve a reasonably low BF is still by caloric deficit.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Yes I know and I agree to it, but everything at the right time right? When cutting , the best way to achieve a reasonably low BF is still by caloric deficit.
You can lose bodyfat without being in a caloric deficit. If you build more muscle, you will burn more fat. A caloric deficit does not burn only fat.

There is a fine line in how you eat as well as how much you eat.

Reaction score
You can lose bodyfat without being in a caloric deficit. If you build more muscle, you will burn more fat. A caloric deficit does not burn only fat.

There is a fine line in how you eat as well as how much you eat.

Indeed it's possible to do that, though on my cut I am completely protected from losing any muscle and I may even be able to continue to add some while still in a deficit. You can see in the photos that it has been done relatively well. Test allows to drop calories way more than it would be naturally possible and shed BF faster while holding onto LBM. As for metabolic slowdown, it can be fixed via a ocassional refeed/cheat meal/day or T3 supplementation. You can see in my pics I look pretty good, not just skinny with no shape. All that is the result of a deficit on test P. So tell me what do you suggest me to do now , diet-wise? How many kcals over maintanance , how many carbs etc? Basically I may be aggitated for nothing and my BF could still be going lower doing what I do, but I'm just feeling like it's too slow atm so am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

The only way is by caloric deficit. I think you are still missing my point. I will make it one last time and then whatever

You look like shit not because you have fat on your abdomen. It's because the tiny amount of Fat free mass you have is insignificant in comparison to your fat mass. You are cutting which will just leave you skinny. Then it comes time to start gaining weight and some of that weight will be fat. You are doing this backwards

How do I know?

Because I fell into the same trap when I started out. I kept freaking out over fat on my belly. When I got the **** over it and just focused on building more muscle suddenly I was leaner. And it was easier to stay lean too. I could eat whatever I felt like and I stayed lean.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Indeed it's possible to do that, though on my cut I am completely protected from losing any muscle and I may even be able to continue to add some while still in a deficit. You can see in the photos that it has been done relatively well. All that is the result of a deficit. So tell me what do you suggest me to do now , diet-wise? How many kcals over maintenance , how many carbs etc?
I am not a dietitian and everyone is different. If it were me, I would start off closer to maintenance levels for a while(maybe 200-300 below) and see where it takes you. Definitely up your carbs a bit. As far as to fat, you have to have some fat in your diet. Try something simple like olive oil. I am definitely not saying to start frying your chicken lol. If after a month or so you feel like its working or not, you can adjust from there. I will tell you that nothing will protect you 100% from losing muscle in a deficit. You may slow it down but in a deficit, you will lose some muscle. There is no way around it. I am not saying that you wont burn more fat than muscle but you are going to lose some muscle. If eating in a deficit only burned fat, there would be 400lb bodybuilders on stage at 3% body fat because they wouldn't loose muscle during prep and would just keep growing. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

New Threads