New guy(workout help)

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been working our for a while and I had some free time comming up so i thought I would increase my workout regime, I was thinking of a pull push legs regime.
I am planning on doing around 12-15 exercises(3 sets) on my push days(4-5 for chest, tri and shoulders each) and around 8-10 on my pull days (4-5 for my back and bycip)
What do you guys think, should I tone it down a bit or should I go for it

I am a 28 year old dude, my weight is around 166 pounds, around 14 percent body fat and my diet is mostly chicken and eggs.
Ps: I am planning on staying natural

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
So, 36-45 sets on each day? Probably way too much, especially considering your light weight. I'd skip things like triceps/isolation exercises and focus on large, compound movements. You need heavy weight and lower amount of sets IMO. The most important thing though is diet. Even if you're short 166 is super light.

welcome to The Underground

Reaction score
I used to be alot bigger something like 200 pounds but I lost all that weight beacuse I wanted to have a six pack(only managed a 4 pack), so what do you suggest, I bring it doing to 25-30 sets per day max and more or less no tri isolations?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I used to be alot bigger something like 200 pounds but I lost all that weight beacuse I wanted to have a six pack(only managed a 4 pack), so what do you suggest, I bring it doing to 25-30 sets per day max and more or less no tri isolations?

Whats your height and what are your goals?

i assumed a 160 pound guy would want to get bigger, but maybe that's not what your going for.

Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned my height and goals up there aswell,
I am around 5 feet 10 inches(175 cm) and my current goal is to get a six pack, if possible maintain this weight and lose body fat

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned my height and goals up there aswell,
I am around 5 feet 10 inches(175 cm) and my current goal is to get a six pack, if possible maintain this weight and lose body fat

5'10" 160lbs and you have body fat??
Do you not have any bones?

Reaction score
5'10" 160lbs and you have body fat??
Do you not have any bones?

I wish I didn't have any, sadly I still do have some around the belly,
Ps: I am not 160 I am 166, and want to lose around 6 pounds of fat.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Honestly, you have almost no muscle and no abs. Personally I'd focus on gaining muscle. This with increase your metabolism and make it easier to cut weight later down the line.
There's nothing impressive about a 5'10 guy at 160lbs with abs. I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the truth.

Why hey not set your sights on a better goal? 200lbs with abs.

Reaction score
What Jin said.
It's not just about losing fat. 160, we'll say 15% (for ease of calculation and because people usually think they're lower than they are), you have about 24 pounds of fat. If you can lose just four pounds of fat while getting to 200, you'd be at 10% bodyfat and likely have abs. Even gaining to 180 while dropping six pounds of fat, that'd put you at 10%.
Otherwise, you're just gonna look like a skinny prick-- Abs, but no traps or shoulders or arms or chest or legs...

JackC4

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome stay natty my friend

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
That is volume overkill. Would take a couple of hours in the gym. Probably have better things to do than spend that kind of time in a gym.

Reaction score
Honestly, you have almost no muscle and no abs. Personally I'd focus on gaining muscle. This with increase your metabolism and make it easier to cut weight later down the line.
There's nothing impressive about a 5'10 guy at 160lbs with abs. I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the truth.

Why hey not set your sights on a better goal? 200lbs with abs.

Well Jin it's okay, but I do disagree I do have a 15.5 arm and that is between than most ppl I see, also like I said before I do have a four pack I want to lose those few extra pounds that will show my six pack

Reaction score
That is volume overkill. Would take a couple of hours in the gym. Probably have better things to do than spend that kind of time in a gym.

Honestly for the next two months I actually don't and I don't mind spending all the time in the gym. I would prefer it to stay at home actually

Reaction score
What Jin said.
It's not just about losing fat. 160, we'll say 15% (for ease of calculation and because people usually think they're lower than they are), you have about 24 pounds of fat. If you can lose just four pounds of fat while getting to 200, you'd be at 10% bodyfat and likely have abs. Even gaining to 180 while dropping six pounds of fat, that'd put you at 10%.
Otherwise, you're just gonna look like a skinny prick-- Abs, but no traps or shoulders or arms or chest or legs...

I was a crisply over estimating, I did thay eltronic scan think yesterday day and it said my body fat was around 12 percent and i didnt bealive it

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Diet is mostly chicken and eggs? goddamn man, live a little.

Reaction score
Diet is mostly chicken and eggs? goddamn man, live a little.

Just beacuse you say that I will have ice cream today, I have been traveling last two weeks and have not been to the gym. I have actually lost weight in my time away for the gym and sadly it is probally muscle mass :(

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Too much volume my man but you heard that already.

Oh, and abs are possible at 200 lbs. unless your 5 foot nothing.