Bench bar path

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread and have some guys try it out for a few sessions and see how they like it. It has worked tremdously for me on my bench since I was told to try it out.

So basically everyone who is taught how to bench is told to push the bar off their chest and push up towards their face right? Well doing that put a lot of stress on your front delts. U don't want that. Instead imagine you're stuck between two walls that are closing in on you and u have to push them apart. You would brace your feet and upper back and then push downwards because that's your strongest muscles naturally taking over. Do it right now. Imagine two walls are closing in on you and see how u would push the wall away, downwards correct?

Ok now let's apply that to your bench. I've missed my third attempt twice at my first two meets because I was always pushing up towards my face. The bar drifts up, my elbows would flare and I would get stuck about half way up. This last meet I did, I smoked my third attempt. Probably had 20 more pounds in me. Before my third attempt I reminded myself about the wall thing. Kept saying push down push down. Amazed how well it works.

Pushing down, really it's just straight up if u arch enough, keeps all your stronger muscles (lats, pecs and triceps) tight and engaged with the bar. It'll take a few weeks if not months to really get used to it and get the pattern burnt into your brain but I promise it will improve your bench press. And let's be honest that's the only lift that matters lolololoo

I gotta thank joliver for teaching me this. He doesnt come around much anymore so I thought I'd share with u guys and hopefully improve your bench like he did to mine.

Let me know if u try and how it goes for you.

Ecks

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I wanna make a little video showing the difference between the two bar paths but not sure anyone really would care. Lo . If you'd like to see it on video let me know. Maybe I can put something together.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
sounds interesting will give it a try!

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
That was always my natural bar path, and I've always thought I was messing it up.
Make the video Ecks, I'm sure many would appreciate it.
Matter of fact since tearing my pec in July of last year pushing that direction has been the only way I'm comfortable under the bar. I kept thinking to myself that it more resembled a decline now than flat.

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
Hence the decline bench is most lifters greatest/strongest press. That's why you should try to mimic that bar path and form onto the flat bench.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You are saying that was the cue to get you to drive into the bench?

My bar path changes dependimg on my weight. At 250 plus I push back towards the rack. Below 250 I push straight up or else my shoulders hurt.

Reaction score
I understand the bar bath ..some of the powerlifters I've been training with have taught me a lot of techniques for proper power benching...technique on all the big three really. I'd watch the vid

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
I do reverse curls with the bar after i bring it down, touch off on gut, take a breath and it blasts itself back into stratosphere ;)

honestly post op, using lighter weight/high rep ive been experimenting every exercise and i found the same to be true, though i floor press now vs bench to save my shoulder/s. But found if i kept bar path at/slightly below nipple the whole time its like i have found new found strength and in my head it made sense because it mimics decline in a sense

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
By down do you mean towards your stomach??

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i can't do the up and back move, it kills my shoulders i press straight up

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
It's funny you bring this up, because I kind of accidentally discovered the same thing while rehabbing my shoulder. Strength is still down but on the rise, and I feel much more stable.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
You are saying that was the cue to get you to drive into the bench?

My bar path changes dependimg on my weight. At 250 plus I push back towards the rack. Below 250 I push straight up or else my shoulders hurt.

Not even drive into the bench but just press correctly. On my second attempt last meet the bar drifted up a little bit and elbows flared but it was light enough for me to muscle thru and finish the rep. I knew on my third attempt if I did that again id get stapled so I kept reminding myself to push away from my face.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
By down do you mean towards your stomach??

Well not necessarily down but more just straight up. it feels likes your pushing down if u have a good arch.

I should have said just try not to finish so high up over your face.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
This is my normal range of motion on bench. If I did it any other way, my shoulders couldn't handle it. I know what you mean though. I see guys bench up towards the rack and it gives me a shoulder pain just watching it lol.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
This is my normal range of motion on bench. If I did it any other way, my shoulders couldn't handle it. I know what you mean though. I see guys bench up towards the rack and it gives me a shoulder pain just watching it lol.

You'll notice 95% of people benching, especially powerlifters, push back and in their video u can hear people yelling back back back. Noooooo

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
I find the bar path is pretty well controlled when I do my presses @ Planet Fitness... :)

SmithMachineBenchPress.gif

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Well not necessarily down but more just straight up. it feels likes your pushing down if u have a good arch.

I should have said just try not to finish so high up over your face.

thats what she said

New Threads