Exercise dosing to retain resistance training adaptations in young and older adults

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Exercise dosing to retain resistance training adaptations in young and older adults

A common question among lifters is "how much volume do I need in order to maintain my gainz?" and this paper certainly helped us get closer to an answer. It is in beginners, and they only trained legs, but its better than the alternative (which is nothing at all). Full paper, as always, is available via PM :)

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/f...e_Dosing_to_Retain_Resistance_Training.7.aspx

Abstract:
Resistance training (RT) is a proven sarcopenia countermeasure with a high degree of potency. However, sustainability remains a major issue that could limit the appeal of RT as a therapeutic approach without well-defined dosing requirements to maintain gains.
PURPOSE
To test the efficacy of two maintenance prescriptions on muscle mass, myofiber size and type distribution, and strength. We hypothesized the minimum dose required to maintain RT-induced adaptations would be greater in the old (60-75 yr) versus young (20-35 yr).
METHODS
Seventy adults participated in a two-phase exercise trial that consisted of RT 3 d·wk for 16 wk (phase 1) followed by a 32-wk period (phase 2) with random assignment to detraining or one of two maintenance prescriptions (reducing the dose to one-third or one-ninth of that during phase 1).
RESULTS
Phase 1 resulted in expected gains in strength, myofiber size, and muscle mass along with the typical IIx-to-IIa shift in myofiber-type distribution. Both maintenance prescriptions preserved phase 1 muscle hypertrophy in the young but not the old. In fact, the one-third maintenance dose led to additional myofiber hypertrophy in the young. In both age groups, detraining reversed the phase 1 IIx-to-IIa myofiber-type shift, whereas a dose response was evident during maintenance training with the one-third dose better maintaining the shift. Strength gained during phase 1 was largely retained throughout detraining with only a slight reduction at the final time point.
CONCLUSIONS
We conclude that older adults require a higher dose of weekly loading than the young to maintain myofiber hypertrophy attained during a progressive RT program, yet gains in specific strength among older adults were well preserved and remained at or above levels of the untrained young.

What they did...

We've got some young (average age 27.5) and old (average age 64.1) beginners going through a 16 week progression phase followed by a 32 week maintenance phase involving either 1/3 of the original training volume, 1/9 of the volume, or nothing at all (detraining) exclusively for the legs.

The training programme consisted of:
- Leg extensions, leg press and squats.
- 3 sets of 8-12 for all movements, done 3x week
- 90 seconds rest between sets, total session time was approx. 35mins.
- Progression was based on increasing weight on the bar, which was done when the subjects could complete 12 reps for at least 2/3 sets prescribed.

During maintenance:
- The 1/3 volume group did everything the same except cut training frequency down to 1/week.
- The 1/9 volume group also cut frequency down to 1/week but also only did 1 set per movement. Intensity (weight on the bar) and exercise selection were maintained for both groups.
- The detraining group did no lifting whatsoever.

What they found...

The older subjects were unable to maintain hypertrophy (or the switch in myofiber types from IIx>IIa) in any of the groups but were able (mostly) to maintain strength with 1/3 volume. So the authors were correct in hypothesizing that the minimum training volume to maintain gainz in older subjects would be higher.
The younger subjects continued to make both strength & muscle gainz even with 1/3 of the original volume and were still able to maintain muscle/strength with 1/9 volume.

Discussion

This study ranks pretty damn high when it comes to practical applicability. It was published in 2010 and, honestly, I'm disappointed that no one has taken the excellent ground work laid down here and gone a bit further with it by addressing some of the limitations here. Those limitations consist of not tracking diet, only training legs and using beginners.

Dietary changes influence muscle adaptations and play a huge role in prescribing a "maintenance level" of training volume. In fact, the biggest question I get when it comes to maintaining gainz revolves around how much volume to use when dieting. It's a difficult question for me to answer here for fear of not providing enough detail but the size of the deficit (not just initial, but total deficit across the time frame of dieting) and carb intake are the big 2 influences on training volume. The bigger the deficit & the lower the carb intake = the more training volume should be adjusted down.
The data taken as a whole does suggest that legs require more volume than the upper body for growth, maintenance, etc so safe to assume that the volume required to maintain upper body gains would be less than that used here. My own data certainly backs this is up with muscle loss coming from the legs first in most cases.
Beginners obviously respond better to training than advanced trainees due to the simple fact that its a brand new stimulus and that leads to another relatively safe assumption - advanced trainees will require more volume than prescribed here to maintain gainz.

The fact the young subjects continued to progress lifting once per week, for 3 sets per movement = 9 total sets per week with an uptrending dose-reponse is pretty ****ing amazing. It also supports what I've commonly advised folks in that keeping things simple is the ideal approach for beginners. Use the least volume necessary to achieve results and no more. It's better for long term progression since you have more room to play with going forward and efficiency is maximized - which is always a good thing.

Another interesting result was that the preservation of strength during detraining was not dependent upon preserving muscle. In other words, losing muscle does NOT automatically equal losing strength. This builds on previous data showing muscle to be much easier to lose than motor unit activation, neuromuscular coordination, etc during detraining. Of course this does question the validity of using strength as a proxy for muscle loss during dieting and should give you readers an idea as to why I use 8-10RM numbers as an indicator rather than 1-3RM.

Summary

The main takeaway for most is that it takes a lot less work to maintain your gainz than you probably thought originally.

In young beginners, training legs only, one 9-set session per week is more than enough to maintain hypetrophy & strength.
In older beginners, that same volume is only enough to preserve strength and more is needed for muscle. Experimenting with 2 session per week (same volume) seems like a good idea (equivalent to 50-66% of the original training volume).

It's impossible for me to prescribe specific recommendations for those who don't fit into the population studied here (beginners, legs only, etc) since it will take too long and is based mostly on experience but if someone has a specific example they want me to comment on then feel free to post here or PM me.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Diet info for them would have been nice. Having said that, what constitutes an older adult?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
CONCLUSIONS
We conclude that older adults require a higher dose of weekly loading than the young to maintain myofiber hypertrophy attained during a progressive RT program, yet gains in specific strength among older adults were well preserved and remained at or above levels of the untrained young.

What they did...

We've got some young (average age 27.5) and old (average age 64.1) beginners going through a 16 week progression phase followed by a 32 week maintenance phase involving either 1/3 of the original training volume, 1/9 of the volume, or nothing at all (detraining) exclusively for the legs.

Good read!

Do you feel the same conclusion can be applied to the older well trained athlete?

As for the volume needed in each workout and through out the week; I'm much lower then most guys of any age. I wish I had a dime for every time I heard, "That's all you do?". For me, doing more just leads to acute or repetitive motion injuries.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Diet info for them would have been nice. Having said that, what constitutes an older adult?
64.1yrs average in the 60-75yr "older" group. That's actually another valid critique here - no intermediate 36-59yr group.

Good read!

Do you feel the same conclusion can be applied to the older well trained athlete?

As for the volume needed in each workout and through out the week; I'm much lower then most guys of any age. I wish I had a dime for every time I heard, "That's all you do?". For me, doing more just leads to acute or repetitive motion injuries.
In that an older, well trained, athlete requires more volume than a younger, well trained, athlete? Yes, I feel the same conclusion applies. The old "use it or lose it" motto is a lot more applicable to muscle as you age I'm afraid.

We're built from the same cloth when it comes to volume. I've always done well by keeping it relatively low and clients are always surprised by the results of low volume programmes. They see the sheets and think "well, that's not going to be enough!" and then, lo and behold, it works pretty well. Quality>quantity.

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great summary & good info for Grey Beards like myself & Snake.

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
According to this I'm not old, just intermediate! Hell yes

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Ripped. Very informative.
Also appreciate your well written Cliff Notes.
I wonder, in either age group, Had they been advanced trainers if the required maintenance volume would have changed.
You know would "muscle memory" have factored in some how.
Because like Snake, for many years after realizing my own improvements had diminished dramatically (this was pre blood work and subsequent TRT) my own training volume brought the question of " You're done already? " out frequently.
Good stuff man. Thanks!

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I wonder, in either age group, Had they been advanced trainers if the required maintenance volume would have changed.
It would've gone up for both but more so the older folks who didn't maintain their gainz in any of the studied volume groups anyway.
Of course we want to know exactly how much more volume it would take and unfortunately, for reasons beyond my comprehension, this paper was never followed up on despite its practicality. My guess based off data on my clients is that 50% volume is fine for younger, experienced lifters while the older folks may need 66% (not enough feedback for me to be certain on this though - not my targeted demographic).

New Threads