decreasing reps in between sets vs. increasing reps between sets

Reaction score
]I've realized after looking through many bodybuilding workouts/programs a lot of people like to change the number of reps they do throughout their sets of each excercise. Although I see a lot of people who start the excercise with lower reps and increase the number of reps each set, and I see a lot of people who start of with higher reps and decrease the number of reps throughout sets.
]I understand the concept of lower reps = more strength, higher reps = more muscle growth/endurance. But what I don't understand is the differences between decreasing reps between sets and increasing reps between sets.
Could someone explain??

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
sup man. what ur missing is that a lot of guys start off high reps at a lower weight to warm up the muscle and get the movement right, then lower reps at a higher weight for thier working sets. then maybe doing a dropset last set where you decrease the weight and hit higher reps again to burnout.

NoQuarter

Reaction score
Having s hard time reading your post, bad color.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
It is a pretty simple concept, really.

When increasing the weight, your reps will go down and when decreasing the weight, your rep range will go up or at least it should. Even if you keep the same weight throughout your whole workout, the number of reps that you can perform will decrease as your muscles get tired and you use up energy storage. This applies if you are giving max effort anyway.

I guess that could even vary if you don't push yourself hard and only target reps instead of hypertrophy.

I am not sure what you are asking though.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
]I've realized after looking through many bodybuilding workouts/programs a lot of people like to change the number of reps they do throughout their sets of each excercise. Although I see a lot of people who start the excercise with lower reps and increase the number of reps each set, and I see a lot of people who start of with higher reps and decrease the number of reps throughout sets.
]I understand the concept of lower reps = more strength, higher reps = more muscle growth/endurance. But what I don't understand is the differences between decreasing reps between sets and increasing reps between sets.
Could someone explain??

Your entire premise of the question may be incorrect.

If I bench 100lbs for 4 sets of 12 like every doosh with a bodybuilding mag does. You benched 4800lbs.

What if you did 8 sets of 6 instead? You could probably use a lot more than 100lbs if it's only sets of 6. Say you did 120lbs. Now you benched 5760lbs.

New Threads