My Weightloss Journey

Reaction score
(my thread title should read "My Weight Loss Journey")

Thought I would share my experiences since I started to loose weight.

I just joined this site today. This really looks like a great place to get REAL info.

A little history on me ...

Age: 53 | Height: 5'7" | Starting weight: 420 lbs. | Current weight 311 lbs. | Current Goal Weight: 250 lbs. | My current short term goal: Getting under 300 lbs. on September 21st (The last day of summer).

At the end of December 2016, I had seen my internal medicine doctor and basically she gave me the business. My weight at that time was 420 lbs. I basically told her I have given up on losing weight. She didn't enjoy hearing that and asked me if I would consider Bariatric Surgery. I went to a surgeon she recommended and she and I had a big chat.

Not sure what happened, but for the next three months, I took to trying to lose weight, while trying to get my insurance to cover the operation. Three months later, just thru dieting (or, as I like to say, using my "New Eating Routine"), I lost around 70 lbs.

Now, the surgery option went out the door. The insurance didn't cover it, and even if it did, It would have been very expensive and I wasn't about to put my me and my wife into even more debt, especially since we climbed out of a lot it over the last few years. So, since the operation was not going to be my "edge", and knowing I can't do this just with dieting alone, I joined a local fitness center. It has a great combo of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment and a lively atmosphere, with very friendly people. I join at the beginning of April, 2017, and have been really enjoying myself. I used to work out a lot and stopped in my late 30s. Yes, that was a mistake. I'm currently workout 5 days week.

I mainly do weight lifting (cables, machines, and dumb bells), and I do a lot of walking with my *new eating routine*. Today is my 30th week. I am now down to 311 lbs. 109 lbs. down :)

On average I consume about 1,800-2,000 calories at day (at times a little more, like 2,100). I use a tracking app to log all my food. I think I'm burning about 300-500 calories a day

I gave up all fast food, but occasionally I have a turkey sub at subway. I gave up all "starchy" carbs like potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. I stick to meats like chicken, pork, beef, with lost of veggies and fruits. I use meal drinks, yogurt, and meal bars for snacks. I do have a few Healthy Choice Steamer meals during the week for lunches, etc, as they are convenient and low in calories. I try to keep my protein high, and keep my fats moderate.

To be honest, I have never really watched what I ate, ever. I mean, never. I scarfed down whatever I wanted to my whole life. However, reaching 420 lbs really gave me a wake up call. I won't begin to tell you some of things I was experiencing being that big (and make no mistake, I am still big for sure).

I know there's a lot of people out their over 50 who might be in my shoes (over weight, etc.), and frankly I'm the last person who ever thought I could do this, but it's happening. I am so "effing" motivated to hit the gym, and to eat right. I never want to go back to the way I was feeling 7.5 months ago.

I know I'm not doing everything perfectly (lifting, dieting, etc.) but I am doing things more correctly now than I ever have before.

Thanks for listening folks.

Last edited:

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not only a great intro, amazing progress.

Welcome (and we won't tell your wife about stall #2 at the airport).

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
off to a great start man keep at it!!!!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Congrats on the progress

Reaction score
Not only a great intro, amazing progress.

Welcome (and we won't tell your wife about stall #2 at the airport).

Please don't, I have a reputation to uphold. And thanks :)

Reaction score
You are a big boy. Great work so far...I think your goal is definitely achievable and then some. Goodluck.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome job man. Welcome to UGBB

Zombialja Bones

Lady Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, cheers to all the progress you've made and the path that's still in front of you.. :)

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Welcome and good work so far. Keep grinding and meet your goals.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Wow, nice work, and I'm sure it's not easy, keep grinding. Welcome to the UG.

New Threads