squats help??

Reaction score
I'm feeling squats too much in hams/glutes. I have long legs. Any tips on how to keep the tension on the quads? I've been going below parallel.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I squat to specifically focus on quad development I will keep my stance narrow just short of shoulder width, squat to pararell only, no pause at the top, keeping contant tension on the quads. I use so many different variations when I squat that all contribute to overall leg development but if you want to isolate your quads this is what I'd recommend.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well if youre going for weight, hams and glutes/hips is good. But to build the quads, as previously stated^^
Also keep it high bar and drive the knees forward intentionally.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest doing Bulgarian split squats as a finisher.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You ever try front squats?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather load up and do hack squats over front squats. I'm not a fan of front squats for quads. Nope

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Try putting all the weight on your toes when u squat. Seriously try it. I used to do them back in the day. Light weight but pretty much on your tippy toes. Quads will be burning.

I'd also suggest split squats like tren said. Def one of my favorite movements.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Really any thing you do that involves knee flexion will work your quads. This means if you back squat, drive the knees forward. If you front squat, drive the knees forward. If you hack squat, keep the feet low on the platform. If you lunge, keep the steps short. Many options here.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Seriously I want all u guys to try the squat on your tippy toes. After normal squats put 135 on the bar and do a set of 15 on your tippy toes and tell me how bad your quads are burning.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seriously I want all u guys to try the squat on your tippy toes. After normal squats put 135 on the bar and do a set of 15 on your tippy toes and tell me how bad your quads are burning.

It appears you are suggesting some form of a sissy squat. Never tried with weight on my back. I have tried it as it was intended holding a plate across my chest. It's worth a try.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest doing Bulgarian split squats as a finisher.

Guys write this down and remember this moment. We agree.

Assuming you are squatting correctly I wouldn't care if you don't "feel" it in the quads. You are still using them, it's impossible not to.

So focus assistance on quads of so desired.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Guys write this down and remember this moment. We agree.

Assuming you are squatting correctly I wouldn't care if you don't "feel" it in the quads. You are still using them, it's impossible not to.

So focus assistance on quads of so desired.

ill take that as a win.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
It appears you are suggesting some form of a sissy squat. Never tried with weight on my back. I have tried it as it was intended holding a plate across my chest. It's worth a try.

Haha yes sissy squat is a perfect name. Or the leg press u can do it on.

Reaction score
Try usin' the smith machine and keepin' your legs shoulder width apart. Also finish up with some partial reps to burn out your quads.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather load up and do hack squats over front squats. I'm not a fan of front squats for quads. Nope

Love/hate the hack squats. I found that feet/knees together, like one big piston, slow and deep, blows my quads up like nothing else. These and back squats are my quad mainstays

Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion, but partial reps tend to really hit my quads good. Try partial reps on the upper half of the squat with no lock out at the top