Tricep Mass

G

Georgia

I will be working triceps today and was wondering what are you guys & girls favorite exercises for putting on mass on the tricep?

Right now I do:

1) Rope Pushdown

2) Seated Dips

And sometimes:

3) Cable pushdown with EZ bar

I need some more ideas to put on mass on my arms. Feed me some ideas! Remember I go heavy and I want mass!

Z

Zeek

Forget the seated dips and do real dips! Don't take it as wide and strap some weight on yourself as you build up strength on them.

G

Georgia

We have one of those...but I'm always bad about leaning forward and harnessing my chest. I will give it a go today and see what happens. So I get on the narrow portion of it? It goes from narrow to wide (the grip on the dip station).

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So looking at your bicep thread it looks like you're doing more exercises for bi's than tri's? IMO it should be the other way around, as tri's are a bigger group.

Usually I do something like:

Rope pressdowns to pre-exhaust
Close-Grip Bench
Overhead DB Extensions (or skull crushers, usually alternate)
Dips
(Sometimes) single-arm reverse grip pressdowns - amazing iso movement

G

Georgia

Yeah...I do right now...I just do more sets for tricep to sorta balance it out. Because I know more exercises for bi's than tri's.

What about:

Rope pressdowns

Weighted Dips

Close Grip Bench

Overhead Dumbbell Press

??

Z

Zeek

overhead presses will tire your shoulders for no reason. Unless you mean something else.

Weighted dips build mass! as does close grip heavy benching. Don't go so close grip that your wrist hurts when you bring the weight down.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think by DB press he means the overhead DB extension?

G

Georgia

Yeah. I see a lot of guys doing them in the gym. Two hands on one dumbbell over your head pressing upward. It does look taxing on the shoulders trying to hold a heavy weight back there.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yeah that's what i do...it's a great mass builder for me...i love the stretch at the bottom of the movement.

Reaction score
DEf weighted dips, and tricpes ext are mass builder moves. Close grip go slow and heavy as you can for 6-8 reps def you feel that one

cokezero

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
georgia try putting the rope pressdowns at the end of your workout. I finish my tris out with the rope everytime and I burn them out. They fill full of blood.

Dont forget dumbell or cable kickbacks. I like those to start with to get the muscles warm then off to the weighted dips.

I do:
Kickbacks
weighted dips
close grip bench
rope press down

I use to do skullcrushers but went to heavy one night and something went wrong in my elbows. That was 4 months ago and I still feel it everyday if I'm not careful so play it safe.

If you don't feel like your getting a good pump, slow your reps down and go real slow focusing on negative resistance.

Reaction score
I like what cokezero just said, you can do fst-7 with the rope press down that shit will burn your tri`s for sure....

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Close Grip, skullz, dips. those are your mass builders right there.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
my 3 fav's are Close grip bench
Incline Skullcrushers
Tricep pushdowns(v-bar or straight bar)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
close grip bench
bench
OHP
JM Press
Tate Press
Dips
Squats.. Yes squats. Do heavy squats and they'll make you big all over. My biceps were looking stringy. So I did heavier squats and they grew. Made my PP grow too. True story.

G

Georgia

So verdict from most of you guys for MASS is the definitely include weighted dips & close grip bench

Will be doing those two today. I may start the workout with kickbacks since I worked shoulders yesterday and don't want to tax them with the overhead extension/press

Will be doing rope pushdowns at the end of my exercise. So that will be 4 exercises. Twice as many as I have been doing. Sweet deal guys.

CLSMTH700

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x2

I actually end my tri-cep work out with ropes as well. & I usually like do one or two sets to fail or close to fail ... I think I just happened to do this instinctively after a while with tris . I may be guilty of not doing enough reps on some days when I am pressed for time at the gym ... but I do hit them more than biceps. Also I will on occasion hot them during another work out in the same week ahead of scheduled time and seems to respond well. my 2 cents

georgia try putting the rope pressdowns at the end of your workout. I finish my tris out with the rope everytime and I burn them out. They fill full of blood.

Dont forget dumbell or cable kickbacks. I like those to start with to get the muscles warm then off to the weighted dips.

I do:
Kickbacks
weighted dips
close grip bench
rope press down

I use to do skullcrushers but went to heavy one night and something went wrong in my elbows. That was 4 months ago and I still feel it everyday if I'm not careful so play it safe.

If you don't feel like your getting a good pump, slow your reps down and go real slow focusing on negative resistance.

I like what cokezero just said, you can do fst-7 with the rope press down that shit will burn your tri`s for sure....

Reaction score
doing the tricep pushdowns with straight bar with the fst-7 is great to end your tri workout

Bippal

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seated half presses. And pull downs. Never needed more than that when you figure in bench.