Debunking broscience: eating most of your calories/carbs late at night makes you fat

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
First, I wanna say that this is a good read and makes sense for those who can eat a meal before bed and not feel like complete shit afterwards.

Personally, I have a hard time eating a ton of calories even a few hours before bed. When I did do this, I gained weight. I believe that weight to be a buildup of undigested food mostly but I did gain more fat. I would wake up feeling bloated followed by a huge shit in the mornings. I felt like I was wasting alot of those calories. I wish that I could eat meals before bed without that bloated uncomfortable feeling all night. It is somewhat comforting to sleep with a full belly. Maybe I am just old?

To your point tho, I was probably eating more calories than I needed too.

I cut off eating before bed a little less than 2 months ago. Usually 4-5 hours before and have definitely seen a reduction in fat storage. I will say that I am doing an intermittent fasting protocol too so I could be an exception. Am I eating less calories? Slightly but we are talking around 200-300 calories as I would have a small snack before bed.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that your study is wrong(obviously it isn't if it worked for those studied) but not eating before bed has worked for me.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
If I don't eat a regular full meal before bed I wake up hungry early, can't sleep anymore, shaky, feel flat, etc... I also eat big before taking a nap. Always.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I eat before bed and in the middle of the night .. It depends on what your eating and how hard do you really train .. everyone thinks they bust their ass but do u really ??

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I eat before bed and in the middle of the night .. It depends on what your eating and how hard do you really train .. everyone thinks they bust their ass but do u really ??

yes....yes I do :)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Eat before bed time & Don't eat before bed time

View attachment 4599View attachment 4600

Ziggy, not eating before bed wasn't the only thing that changed here and you know it. Your posts are kind of disingenuous because of it.

Your trt+ is well managed
Your training became more consistent
You ate less

To attribute your weight loss entirely to not eating before bed?

In the words of Peter Griffen

C'mooooon

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hundreds, more like thousands of BB's have won local to Pro shows using the night time protein only model and 7 years ago some fuk debunks the last 5 decades.

O fuk'n K

Like Jenner I am also one who can (once I am in that condition) eat just about anything in moderation and maintain 10.2 - 10.5%.

Not everyone has the genetics, training discipline and their gear use down to their own personal science.

By all means take this and run, please!

Is nothing in this sport or life ever allowed to change? Should we just bury our heads in the sand?

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's not about "things" it's about the fact that every fuuking person's body etc is extremely different...that's it, plain and simple :)

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Food for thought: people who have success with a cut back on cals/carbs before bed are probably cutting back a lot on cals/carbs overall.. In a sense it might be useful mentally for some dieters who feel like they're only having to give up some of one meal period.
As for me, I've worked nights for years and if i don't eat big before bed then I don't sleep, simple as that..and the better i sleep the leaner, happier and more energetic i am. Easy decision for me to keep dinner before sleep rather than in the evening before work.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Food for thought: people who have success with a cut back on cals/carbs before bed are probably cutting back a lot on cals/carbs overall.. In a sense it might be useful mentally for some dieters who feel like they're only having to give up some of one meal period.
As for me, I've worked nights for years and if i don't eat big before bed then I don't sleep, simple as that..and the better i sleep the leaner, happier and more energetic i am. Easy decision for me to keep dinner before sleep rather than in the evening before work.
My hypothesis, as mentioned in the body of the article, is that it has to do with eating mentality. Those who are naturally controlled eaters will do well with heavy meals before bed while the more impulsive ones would go overboard. Of course they will blame the distribution rather than the fact they eat too much but whatever.

Also, I'm commenting on a beast (49 pages!) tendon paper tomorrow that might catch your interest. I made sure to double check your tendon 101 thread (why the **** is that not in my sub-forum?!) to see if you'd already covered it so I'm good to go :)

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
My hypothesis, as mentioned in the body of the article, is that it has to do with eating mentality. Those who are naturally controlled eaters will do well with heavy meals before bed while the more impulsive ones would go overboard. Of course they will blame the distribution rather than the fact they eat too much but whatever.

Also, I'm commenting on a beast (49 pages!) tendon paper tomorrow that might catch your interest. I made sure to double check your tendon 101 thread (why the **** is that not in my sub-forum?!) to see if you'd already covered it so I'm good to go :)

It's funny, I was just about to ask if you read that tendon thread and was going to ask your thoughts on it. Hell yeah I'd love to see anything more on that subject.. I aggravated my elbow tendon again at work but this time around im doing much better much faster thanks to what i picked up researching that thread..knowledge really is power.
Hah yeah i wasn't sure where to put it, might be better in here ?

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
It's funny, I was just about to ask if you read that tendon thread and was going to ask your thoughts on it. Hell yeah I'd love to see anything more on that subject.. I aggravated my elbow tendon again at work but this time around im doing much better much faster thanks to what i picked up researching that thread..knowledge really is power.
Hah yeah i wasn't sure where to put it, might be better in here ?

Got the same shit going on, Myth. I can't do any pulling lifts at all with my right hand. Two weeks ffs.
Looking forward to it, Zilla!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would guess carb backloading is similar to the concept of this study. Which I did experiment with in the past.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Ziggy, not eating before bed wasn't the only thing that changed here and you know it. Your posts are kind of disingenuous because of it.

Your trt+ is well managed
Your training became more consistent
You ate less

To attribute your weight loss entirely to not eating before bed?

In the words of Peter Griffen

C'mooooon

There's more to it yes, but honestly think I couldn't have done it still eating at bedtime

Maybe it's just me but it's practically ridiculous how fat I can get over night

So I always try to debate these eat at bed time debunking's

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Egg whites and oatmeal before bed is my shit.. feed the machine at all times

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
There's more to it yes, but honestly think I couldn't have done it still eating at bedtime
Maybe it's just me but it's practically ridiculous how fat I can get over night
So I always try to debate these eat at bed time debunking's
If this was an actual scientific debate, pretty much what this sub-forum is trying to replicate, then you would be laughed at for trying to argue against my "debunking" with anecdote. That is literally what would happen.

Your welcome to share your experience as I said before man but let's not pretend it's a form of "debating" the article please :)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If this was an actual scientific debate, pretty much what this sub-forum is trying to replicate, then you would be laughed at for trying to argue against my "debunking" with anecdote. That is literally what would happen.

Your welcome to share your experience as I said before man but let's not pretend it's a form of "debating" the article please :)

Hey if anecdotes are what they like, several people have already stated here in this thread eating at night doesn't make them fat.

So some say yes

Some say no though...

Now what?

If only there was a way to control the subjects and variables and then analyze the results of this to demonstrate an answer to this conundrum in a neutral and replicable manner!!!

Oh well. Guess we will all be ripped and hungry or fat and happy but never achieve a reasonable balance.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Ripped = balanced and happy

Fat = 6 feet under

it's all personal choice....:)

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think if your already fat eating at night will only add to your fatness .. If your low bf and eating food that isn't fattening you won't get fat.. Pretty simple.. also like u said before how hard do u really train?? I get 3 trading sessions in a day sometimes so eating at night ain't no thing for me .. my body screams for it actually

New Threads