Debunking broscience: eating most of your calories/carbs late at night makes you fat

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I think zilla your write up is geared more to the body builder or athlete that's already in top shape instead of a person getting there ., or am I wrong like usual lol
Your kind of right lol. At least your trying bundy, I cannot fault you for that :)

Your right that people who are more "controlled" eaters, like bodybuilders & athletes, will naturally do better eating most of their cals at night vs impulsive eaters (most of the population).
But, my article also contains controlled studies (same calories, different distribution) in obese and normal men & women and never found a negative effect of eating most of your cals at night. So...

As POB said, this very thread shows that you have mixed experiences on this so the only way to truly answer the question is to look at a controlled group of people who are consuming the same calories and the only difference between the groups is where those calories are placed (morning, night, etc). We then analyze the results and try to see if they're replicable in order to come up with a solid answer.
The controlled studies in my article did exactly that and found that eating most of your cals at night never, in 5 attempts going back to 1987, resulted in fat gain and occasionally was better for body comp in general.

That is why trying to "debate" my article with anecdote is useless. The evidence in the article far outweighs any anecdote.
Again, I don't mind people sharing their experiences - plenty of it in this very thread. But to say that it is a form of "countering" the article? No, it really isn't.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I'm only able to eat when people donate 10cents to my charity fund.....

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
Old post but dealing with this fight and body is getting sneaky. Will find myself waking up in the middle of the night when my restraint is non existent heading towards the kitchen.

As far as the eating late, I accept it based on my experience not my extensive bro science background. Show me a photo of myself in the AM and I can tell you if I ate later then I should have the night before. Didn't the research mention the body release of specified chemical was higher when avoiding a meal later then 2 hours before sleep? Was that mentioned here?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Old post but dealing with this fight and body is getting sneaky. Will find myself waking up in the middle of the night when my restraint is non existent heading towards the kitchen.

As far as the eating late, I accept it based on my experience not my extensive bro science background. Show me a photo of myself in the AM and I can tell you if I ate later then I should have the night before. Didn't the research mention the body release of specified chemical was higher when avoiding a meal later then 2 hours before sleep? Was that mentioned here?
Damnit. This got bumped and got me excited thinking rippedzilla was dropping some new knowledge.

Anyways, I know where you are coming from. I am a mid night snacker too and find that manipulation of my blood sugar can be used as a sleep aid. It sucks for dieting but nothing like a carb coma to put me to sleep.

Reactions: Jin

DeplorableCracker

Reaction score
I eat a fat ass peanut butter sandwich right before bed every single night...lol

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
My Muscle Feast protein and carbs:

pre-workout - Whey Protein Isolate + Whole Oat Powder
post workout - Whey Protein Isolate + Pure Dextrose
before sleep - Micellar Casein + Whole Oat Powder

Sickman

Paragon
Reaction score
I eat a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit or jelly in it before bed. If you can stomach it, cottage cheese is really high in casein protein, which is digested slower. I think this is beneficial to do before sleep because your body will need time to digest it.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Justin Bieber touched this subject adequately already...

Reaction score
I think the main issue is that insulin and HGH act antagonistically. And sleep is when we release GH the most, so people try to avoid food/carbs before sleep to maximize GH. Thing is, insulin is released in response to elevated blood sugar. There's fuel to elicit repairs and growth. Whereas GH is released when insulin is absent to promote lipolysis, liberating fatty acids as fuel. So up to you guys to decide which one is more important. But since they act during opposite states, that's why when you can manipulate via exogenous administration, you get big fucking humans!

New Threads