DL training ?

Reaction score
What do you guys do when training DLs? I notice a lot of people drop the bar as they are descending. I tend to handle it more like a bench press, slow up and slow down and barely touching the plates to the floor if at all. This is fine now while the weight is light but I see how this might invite injury with heavier weight. That point between up and down I mean.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Controlling it on the way down is fine. Let the weight touch the floor and settle but remain tight the entire time. When u get to heavier weights it does get more taxing controlling the weight so figure out what works for u. For me i can't control the weight slowly in the way down with heavier weight (85% and up) because it destroys my lower back.

Reaction score
But then again that's because I can isolate my lower back. Seems like going all the way down would benefit powerlifting since more activation is going on.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about deadlifts here? Besides Ecks, not sure you other two are.

Reaction score
New on this site, didn't realize it was a power lifting thread! I just get more out of shin level to my lower back than resetting each time.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
New on this site, didn't realize it was a power lifting thread! I just get more out of shin level to my lower back than resetting each time.

Well welcome to the board. But like Ecks pointed out it appears you're doing more of a Romanian DL. Still though, the approach and even form is different from one to the other.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
But then again that's because I can isolate my lower back. Seems like going all the way down would benefit powerlifting since more activation is going on.

Well a deadlift is from the floor to lockout. What you're doing isn't wrong at all but it's just not a deadlift.

Reaction score
Seems like mid shin is about where I stop due to the plates touching the floor. Can't really go lower. Maybe I'll start letting the weights rest each rep if that's proper.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Controlling it on the way down is fine. Let the weight touch the floor and settle but remain tight the entire time. When u get to heavier weights it does get more taxing controlling the weight so figure out what works for u. For me i can't control the weight slowly in the way down with heavier weight (85% and up) because it destroys my lower back.

He beat me to it. I focus on reloading each time; like resetting but I don't regrip. Think about a set of 6 as 6 singles with a 2 second rest; just enough time to exhale and refill your lungs for some inner support and find your starting point. But hell, what do I know?!

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Timeout on the field......

Why do they call it a deadlift when your not actually lifting something dead?
In actuality it should be called an "Inanimate Lift"
View attachment 4608

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score

The deadlift is a concentric only lift as the lowering of the bar isn't important to the loft except for resetting for the next one. Going slow on the eccentric portion is a waste of precious ATP. If you're not going all the way to the floor and pulling the next rep off the floor then you're not doing a deadlift. It would be either a RDL or SLDL.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

You are doing them wrong if it's targeting your lower back it's a hamstring builder when doing Romanians.

It will hit the posterior chain but it's a hamstring movement.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

He beat me to it. I focus on reloading each time; like resetting but I don't regrip. Think about a set of 6 as 6 singles with a 2 second rest; just enough time to exhale and refill your lungs for some inner support and find your starting point. But hell, what do I know?!

Not supposed to fill the lungs or chest we fill the belly the abdomen.

Get air in to high up makes us light headed and can faint.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
seems like mid shin is about where i stop due to the plates touching the floor. Can't really go lower. Maybe i'll start letting the weights rest each rep if that's proper.

what? Lol!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
The deadlift is a concentric only lift as the lowering of the bar isn't important to the loft except for resetting for the next one. Going slow on the eccentric portion is a waste of precious ATP. If you're not going all the way to the floor and pulling the next rep off the floor then you're not doing a deadlift. It would be either a RDL or SLDL.

Correct, get to a safe position and let the bar go fast, rest and pull!

New Threads