Nexium Prilosec & proton pump inhibitor Study Investigation & Lawsuit

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
The study examined medical records of over ten thousand patients taking PPI's like nexium who were followed for an average of more than 13 years

that showed a 20 to 50% increased risk of chronic kidney disease

No alarm bells going off there ?

Not if you understand the difference between association and causation....

Once again, the average age of the patients in this study was 60 years old. That population is already at a higher risk for problems. About 14% of the US pulsation suffers from kidney disease with the two main culprits being high blood pressure and diabetes. Just bc something is posted in a study does not mean it's applicable in the way you want it to be. You would know this if you knew how to interpret the data.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Which was my response to Doc not POB since we are talking about getting facts straight and interpreting with precision
I don't understand why it's this difficult for people to learn new things. You clearly don't know how to interpret data. It's obvious. So why not accept the flaw, learn, and become a more valuable member? Nope, instead you try to defend yourself and deflect. I don't understand.

Back on the ignore list you go. Not your fault Z, you are who you are, it just saves me from wasting time in the future :)

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
I had horrible reflux for a period of time, which completely went away when i stopped drinking beer �� every day with dinner.. It also started to come back when i started trying to drink beer again.

In general i think it's worth experimenting with eliminating things from your diet before turning to meds. I found my reflux triggers seem to be beer, too much tomato sauce, and curry.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I had horrible reflux for a period of time, which completely went away when i stopped drinking beer �� every day with dinner.. It also started to come back when i started trying to drink beer again.

In general i think it's worth experimenting with eliminating things from your diet before turning to meds. I found my reflux triggers seem to be beer, too much tomato sauce, and curry.

Brownies and tomato sauce are two things that trigger it for me but I'll be damned if I give either of those up. I'd be more inclined to sell my first born into child slavery than giving those two foods up.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Reflux sucks. I can go two days on one Prilosec. The other pills are useless and I hate Tums plus it has zero effect. Tagament is only good for about 12 hours for me.

A variety of things can trigger it for me all the above mentioned plus any kind of Thai and Mexican food. I drink a lot of milk daily so that does keep it in check. Ive been getting it since my 30s. Back when wintergreen Copenhagen was a vice that would trigger it too. I have noticed stress can trigger it as well. Full stomach or empty it doesnt matter.

I use to think a cleaner diet was the answer however I got HB even when I was competing and had a strict diet. I still dont eat anything fried so honestly I stopped worrying about it and take my pill.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
For the last three posts, it is pretty well known that mint, caffeine, nicotine and alcohol all relax the cardiac sphincter. That's the sphincter between your stomach and esophagus. Thus the after dinner mint, or drink, or cigarrete (Or chew) or cup of coffee. This leads to a feeling of less fullness. And also to reflux.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
For the last three posts, it is pretty well known that mint, caffeine, nicotine and alcohol all relax the cardiac sphincter. That's the sphincter between your stomach and esophagus. Thus the after dinner mint, or drink, or cigarrete (Or chew) or cup of coffee. This leads to a feeling of less fullness. And also to reflux.

Fortunately alcohol also relaxes the wife's other sphincter.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do not and never have....thank god

and I'm sure it's due to the fact that I eat bland as hell...always have

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's typically not eating that does it for me. I don't get normal feelings of hunger. I get heartburn first. So I eat. And what I eat makes no difference. When I was a moron and thought "eating clean" was a thing and all I ate was boiled chicken breast brown rice broccoli egg whites oats sweet potatoes and cottage cheese (seriously for 2 years that's all I ate) i still had heartburn throughout the day.

I am gonna wind up with throat cancer from this shit.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well, there you go...just goes back to the...our bodies are all different and what works for me...doesn't work for you!

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
It's typically not eating that does it for me. I don't get normal feelings of hunger. I get heartburn first. So I eat. And what I eat makes no difference. When I was a moron and thought "eating clean" was a thing and all I ate was boiled chicken breast brown rice broccoli egg whites oats sweet potatoes and cottage cheese (seriously for 2 years that's all I ate) i still had heartburn throughout the day.

I am gonna wind up with throat cancer from this shit.

Get the Omeprozole, Prilosec or whatever. I had all kinds of issues that went away once I did, not the least of which is much better sleep now. I know you have to get hungry at some point while you're sleeping and wake up with that f-ed up sore throat.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's this difficult for people to learn new things. You clearly don't know how to interpret data. It's obvious. So why not accept the flaw, learn, and become a more valuable member? Nope, instead you try to defend yourself and deflect. I don't understand.

Back on the ignore list you go. Not your fault Z, you are who you are, it just saves me from wasting time in the future :)

I interpret well enough to know that the product isn't a good long term remedy

The lawsuit and the investigation are what I was referring to doc as alarm bells

has nothing to do with the interpretation of what I read it's just common sense

And if you can't interpret that then you aren't as smart as you should be

as far as ignore goes I've never asked you or called on you for anything

i wont even notice you are ignoring me

Last edited:

Patriot1405

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nexium Prilosec & proton pump inhibitor Study Investigation & Lawsuit

I’ve had reflux for the last 10 years. Mid forties for some reason I started to feel like shit. Used to throw up in my sleep, would actually wake up because of bile in my throat. Long story short, had and endoscopy and colonoscopy and all was fine. Been on omeprozole ever since. Tomato sauce definitely triggered if for me. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, raising my bed with blocks of wood also helps keep the bile from reaching my throat. Long as I take my pill all is fine, also take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with water every morning.

Last edited:

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. The primary purpose of proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole and nexium) is to decrease the acidity of the stomach not to prevent reflux per se. Please keep this in mind. This is very important though, because it mitigates the damaging effects of that acidic reflux. Untreated, that acid can lead to a number of problems, like Barretts esophagus which is a precancerous condition. So whichever way you wish to interpret the data in the article in the OP, the risks of not taking a proton pump inhibitors far outway the risks of taking one. So feel free to interpret how you will. I would post a bunch of literature but I am off to anesthetize yet another patient for an EGD for reflux.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. The primary purpose of proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole and nexium) is to decrease the acidity of the stomach not to prevent reflux per se. Please keep this in mind. This is very important though, because it mitigates the damaging effects of that acidic reflux. Untreated, that acid can lead to a number of problems, like Barretts esophagus which is a precancerous condition. So whichever way you wish to interpret the data in the article in the OP, the risks of not taking a proton pump inhibitors far outway the risks of taking one. So feel free to interpret how you will. I would post a bunch of literature but I am off to anesthetize yet another patient for an EGD for reflux.

Back on the prilosec as of this morning

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bananas are the worst for me. Fml

New Threads