Nexium Prilosec & proton pump inhibitor Study Investigation & Lawsuit

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. The primary purpose of proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole and nexium) is to decrease the acidity of the stomach not to prevent reflux per se. Please keep this in mind. This is very important though, because it mitigates the damaging effects of that acidic reflux. Untreated, that acid can lead to a number of problems, like Barretts esophagus which is a precancerous condition. So whichever way you wish to interpret the data in the article in the OP, the risks of not taking a proton pump inhibitors far outway the risks of taking one. So feel free to interpret how you will. I would post a bunch of literature but I am off to anesthetize yet another patient for an EGD for reflux.

What a nightmare the whole heartburn situation is

Damn if you do in the long run damn if you don't in the short

is there anything someone with heartburn can do to solve the issue besides

heartburn medications or somethings that people who don't have heartburn

can do to steer clear of it ?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
There are certain things like what I mentioned that can be limited, reduced, or eliminated entirely. Unfortunately they're all the fun stuff, nicotine, caffeine, alcohol. Losing weight helps if that's something that needs to be done. Obesity causes slower gastric emptying. Avoid foods known to cause this problem specifically with you. Eat smaller meals. Dont lay down right away after eating. I gueas this can go towards your thoughts on not eating before bed, but I've found even just waiting 30-60 minutes to hit the sack after eating helps. And like i said before, put a couple 2x4's under the bed of your bed. Three inches is all you need (incidentally, this is also what I tell Mrs. Bricks). It sucks because as iron athletes we tend to carry more weight, eat big and often, etc... But honestly, man, I'd take the meds too. We tell people not to eat or drink after midnight prior to anesthesia because of potential reflux. Barretts is nothing compared to aspirating acidic stomach contents into your lungs. That is no bueno man.

Last edited:

Chaos501

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. The primary purpose of proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole and nexium) is to decrease the acidity of the stomach not to prevent reflux per se. Please keep this in mind. This is very important though, because it mitigates the damaging effects of that acidic reflux. Untreated, that acid can lead to a number of problems, like Barretts esophagus which is a precancerous condition. So whichever way you wish to interpret the data in the article in the OP, the risks of not taking a proton pump inhibitors far outway the risks of taking one. So feel free to interpret how you will. I would post a bunch of literature but I am off to anesthetize yet another patient for an EGD for reflux.

When they diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia and Barrett’s esophagus I was a bit nervous... now I get a scan every year and take Nexium.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been taking nexium for 20 yrs, 40mg x1 a day. If I miss I feel it on the 25th hour...no joke.

New Threads