Albuterol: Women require a lower dose compared to men

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I thought this was worth sharing, for safety reasons more than anything else:
A Model-Based Meta-Analysis Evaluating Gender Differences on Blood Flow Responses to Brachial Artery Infusions of Acetylcholine, Albuterol, ATP, Bradykinin, Estradiol, Glyceryl Trinitrate, L-NMMA, Nevibolol, Norepinephrine, Sodium Nitroprusside, Substance P, and Verapamil

This was a model based analysis (ie simulated, not real), following up on the work done here, looking at potential gender differences in the dose response to different drugs. It's an incredibly interesting paper, not many of it's kind out there, but I'm going to keep this short and sweet in order to not lose anyone. Here is the key quote:
"Albuterol (253%) exhibited the greatest difference in blood flow responses to intra-brachial vasodilator infusions...Considering the differences in the gender-stratified responses to the same pharmacological compounds analyzed in this model-based meta-analysis, recent meta-analyses evaluating patient management using pharmacotherapy provided evidence that women experience greater numbers of adverse drug reactions (ADRs) as compared to men (17-19)."

This means that the dose of Albuterol required to get the same response was 253% higher in men as seen in the top two graphs:
nihms854792f4.jpg
What all this means is that women can get the exact same effect as men at a much lower dosage and, therefore, are more subject to side effects if they aim for the same dosage.
So, considering the usual dosage is 16mg/d (4mg 4xday), women would get the same benefits at 4mg/d and I pretty don't see a need to go above 8mg (2mg 4xday) under any circumstances.

Sidenote: yes, I'm fully aware that infusion data may not be fully translatable to what we do in real life. However, considering the data as a whole supports these results and the fact that blood flow = fat mobility, I think it's safe to say that this reflects reality fairly well.

Last edited:

New Threads