Ladies get moving, what's holding you back !

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, we all know we need to exercise.
How many books and videos do you own? How many gym memberships have you had in your life?
You may even be an expert on the perfect exercises for your body.
But you're not doing it! Why? Well, sometimes the problem isn't necessary lack of knowledge, it's lack of motivation.

Find Your "Why"

In order to be successful at any endeavor, we must have a good reason for doing it in the first place.
Exercise is no exception. What will get you up in the morning on those cold, dark days when you just want to stay in bed?

Most people say "because I want to lose weight" or "I want to be fit".

While these are good goals, they are not good enough reasons for long term success.
You must dig deeper.
What is important to you?
What do you value in life?

Answer these questions, then see how a regular exercise program can support your values.

Make a Commitment

Once you find your "why", it's time to make a commitment.

Here's a definition of commitment you may not have heard: a commitment is the ability to carry out a worthy decision, even when the excitement of making that decision has passed.

How many times have you been excited to start an exercise program, only to become bored or distracted by other things? As soon as the excitement passes, so do your exercise plans.

Don't worry about falling off the wagon at times, just re-commit and start again.

Set Daily, Measurable and Realistic Goals

If your only goal is to lose 40 pounds it will be a while before you feel successful.
After all, it can take a while to see such results.
Rather, set daily measurable, achievable goals that allow you to feel successful every day.
Keep a weekly diary and set goals each day for what kind of exercise you will do, how long you will workout, how hard you will exercise, etc.
Praise your self, and focus on your daily progress !!!

Keep Track of Your Progress

After you set your goals and write them down, you want to also chart your progress. Be sure to write down your daily achievements to compare to your goals. This will become extremely motivating as you see yourself meeting your goals.

With consistent exercise, you will also see your workouts becoming easier and your ability to work harder and longer.
Seeing measurable progress on paper will keep you motivated while you work towards the bigger goals you have set for yourself.

Get Objective Feedback

You may know what a good workout feels like - you have that endorphin "high" after exercise, or you have energy to spare all day long.
But do you know what an effective workout feels like? It is hard to know how effective your workout is every day without waiting for weeks or months to see the results. What if you could see day after day how many calories you burned, or what your heart rate was each workout?
Using a heart rate monitor can tell you if you are working too hard or not hard enough. What about calories?
An accelerometer can tell you all day long how many calories you are burning and keep you motivated to move!
When you look for ways to add activity to your day it becomes a fun game and you can instantly see the results.

Avoid the "All or Nothing" Mentality

Have you had plans to exercise five times one week and the first day something happened and you didn't exercise?

When this happens, many people give up on the rest of the week This is known as the All or Nothing Mentality. Keep away from this.it doesn't work.
If you approach your exercise and nutrition program in that manner, you set yourself up for failure. Allow for flexibility in your exercise plans and know one missed day is not a setback.

Be Accountable!

Research has shown that exercisers with some kind of support system have a better chance of continuing exercise.
You need someone who will also hold you accountable for your exercise. Working with someone like a personal trainer, a coach or a mentor will give you the support you need and you can work together to identify barriers to keeping your commitment and develop strategies to overcome these obstacles.

Just like results from exercise, building motivation and consistency will take time.

Fitness is not just about reaching a destination,
it is a journey where you will learn much about yourself and grow from your experiences.
Keep your short term goals in mind, and enjoy the journey to reaching your ultimate goals.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice! Now we just need more women...lol

G

Georgia

We need to sticky this at the top of the women's forum for motivation! I am motivated just by reading this!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not sure we are going to have a ladies only section, not sure it's necessary as on most other boards it's dead. the general aas thread can be used for women that cycle IMO and the chat section can be used for other stuff...

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not sure we are going to have a ladies only section, not sure it's necessary as on most other boards it's dead. the general aas thread can be used for women that cycle IMO and the chat section can be used for other stuff...

I hea ya, I posted this on the "female bodybuilding" forum, I like having a female forum, justwish there were more ladies :(

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

x2x...if we have enough ladies here to warrant their own sub fourm we will do it, but not until it is necessary.

Until then things will be mixed.

MTgirl

Lady Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :). Nice to see some familiar faces!

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yaay mt girl made it

Whackor

Lady Member
Reaction score
I look for the ladies forum on other sites. We all know women don't use the same gear as guys and when it does cross over the doseage is quite different. Just saves time looking through the mixed threads to find the info we need to learn from. Some avatars do not dipict male vs female and I don't see a M or F option. But I agree with the overall consensus of keeping it all together at this point. Women do lack in membership on a great deal of these boards.

G

Georgia

Well a lot of that has to do with respect. We give them respect they feel welcome and want to be here...that goes for male or female. If I ever cross the line and am taken as disrespectful that is me being misunderstood. I cut up but always give people respect unless they lose it. I welcome every, male or female, to this forum...especially females because that is something that is very rare on boards...a large # of female members. Hope that is different here.

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well a lot of that has to do with respect. We give them respect they feel welcome and want to be here...that goes for male or female. If I ever cross the line and am taken as disrespectful that is me being misunderstood. I cut up but always give people respect unless they lose it. I welcome every, male or female, to this forum...especially females because that is something that is very rare on boards...a large # of female members. Hope that is different here.

Well said Georgia :)

BikiniDare

Lady Member
Reaction score
obviously i am coming in late on this thread but i really am glad to find ladies on here with such a passion for living this lifestyle. i am still pretty new to this community and am looking forward to getting to know you ladies and the knowledge you can hit me with!! thank you for saying what you know and chiming in when you do!!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
obviously i am coming in late on this thread but i really am glad to find ladies on here with such a passion for living this lifestyle. i am still pretty new to this community and am looking forward to getting to know you ladies and the knowledge you can hit me with!! thank you for saying what you know and chiming in when you do!!

You are very welcome and great to have you here!:) Unfortinately, there are not many of us...so post up lady!

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome, BikiniDare. The guys outnumber the girls here, so the girls have to be more active. But SI has quality, if not quantity - yet.

theminister

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome, BikiniDare. The guys outnumber the girls here, so the girls have to be more active. But SI has quality, if not quantity - yet.

I'd prefer quantity over quality when it comes to women at any one time.... just kidding ;)

{'Calcul08'}

Lady Member
Reaction score
Was doing some searching about a little extra motivational boost and suddenly found myself registering upon reading this thread.

Think what's holding most ladies back is the workout status quo (how hard you worked is worth very little when no results come of it) - which either leaves them with acceptance of their state&shape or wanting to see&work towards change and bettering their lives with a regular dosage of working out.

MrsHoneyBear

Lady Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great post, just signed up today and this is the first post I looked at.

New Threads