How to warm up to a max PR

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a 315lb bench next week. My bench is up from 235x5 (=290 max) to 250x5 so I figure I should be able to hit around 315 for a max. All of my Max's I've warmed up with something like ----x10 ----x8 ----x5 ----x3 ----X1 and then max the lift. what would be the best way to warm up to this bench max?

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Ecks! I'm gonna go in and completely ****in smash this PR into the ground next week, I'll let y'all know exactly how amazing I feel after

Last edited:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
me personally, i wasn't able to smash 315 til i was hitting 275 for 3-4 but that's me. Ecks warm up looks legit. You got this man!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think this is short sighted to be honest burns. I am always the 1rm party pooper but I believe this for a reason.

Here is my suggestion instead. Focus on building your 3rm. Less pain, more gains.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I think this is short sighted to be honest burns. I am always the 1rm party pooper but I believe this for a reason.

Here is my suggestion instead. Focus on building your 3rm. Less pain, more gains.

Yes it's a party pooper but I def learned from you that testing your max too often is a mistake and waste of time.

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score

Ahhh :/ alright but as soon as I'm hitting a good 290x3 I'm gonna max it

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
135x10
185x3
225x1 maybe a double
245x1
285x1
315x1

I agree with Ecksrated. Point is to get warm and focused on your warm ups, not fatigued.
I personally will do my last warm-up at 50lb less then my opener paused.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Well pillar ruined this thread. Go hit 300 for a double instead.

A little rule I used to follow when I first started lifting was when I could bench 135 ten times I would add a plate and try 225. When I got 225 ten times I would add a plate and try 315. And so on. Never failed me. I think it's good to test every so often if you're not a competitive powerlifter to make sure you're getting stronger. Not every ****ing week tho.

And there's no right way or wrong to warm up for a max effort attempt. Gotta find what works for u. Some guys add more reps and some take huge jumps. Everyone is different.

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
Ego got the best of me and I hit 300x1, I could tell that had I attempted 315 there's no way I'd have gotten it back up once the bar touched my chest without my spotters help. Figured out that despite my best efforts to focus on engaging lats and tucking my elbows that I actually flare my left elbow at a 90* angle while the right is tucked. 90% sure I have a pinched nerve in the right shoulder so I'm speculating that the left is taking more of the load. Regardless I've made the choice to go back and worry about form here again, my ego keeps destroying any good form I have. I'd rather be a good lifter now and a great one/strong one later.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
how often do you do dumbell chest & overhead press?

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Success begins with balance/ stability on all 3 lifts(bench-squat-dead). If you would have got the lifts on video, several of us could give you some constructive criticism.
Bar placement on the chest is critical to stability in the elbows. I place the bar so my arms are at 45 degrees on chest. Punch off chest straight up and as I near lockout I force my elbows to rotate out, kinda like a corkscrew, forcing the weight to lockout. If I "flare" just a hair to quickly, I lose my strength through transition into a lockout.

A slingshot is one good way to get used to your elbows seated in the right angle, have a good spotter, work with something you can hit without the slingshot and do sets of 3-5.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Tiny is on the money. I find that improving the setup to your bench can easily add 20-25% to your RMs. Easily.

I don't want to hijack this thread completely but...does anyone have any experience warming up heavier than the PR attempt? I'm talking bench specifically.
I ask because, for me, getting a feel for a heavier weight than I can handle (partial rep or just an isometric hold) tends to benefit my 3RM tremendously. I don't do any 1RM stuff nor do I work with any elite PLers so I'm interested to hear opinions on this.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Tiny is on the money. I find that improving the setup to your bench can easily add 20-25% to your RMs. Easily.

I don't want to hijack this thread completely but...does anyone have any experience warming up heavier than the PR attempt? I'm talking bench specifically.
I ask because, for me, getting a feel for a heavier weight than I can handle (partial rep or just an isometric hold) tends to benefit my 3RM tremendously. I don't do any 1RM stuff nor do I work with any elite PLers so I'm interested to hear opinions on this.

That's interesting and I'm willing to give it a try to see how it works zilla. I tend to get stronger and more confident the heavier I get into my session. On max effort days my last set (heaviest set) always feels the best.

And burns don't beat yourself up man. Form breaks down when u get up near your max. That's why we practice technique so much with lighter weights.
U can still lift heavy just focus of heavy triples and sets of 4 from now on. No need to test again for a good 3 months.

New Threads