Pinched nerve/shoulder injury come back

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello guys/gals/jen

Had a ongoing issue with my left shoulder and some discs or IDK what in my back 7 months back( i had on and off issues, have for 8/10yrs now, neck/lower back/shoulders)

I went to a othro, othro surgeon, reg doc, ER one day, chiro + another who did acupuncture, cant even tell you how much cash i spent in 4.5 months.

Everyone had their own opinion, x rays and other tests showed inflammation and just minor shit. But i couldn't lift a gallon of milk with my right hand because the imbalance it would put to the left.

Then was sent off to PT as always, prolly do once a year for neck/back/shoulder.........4 visits in, things drastically diminished( ive been to PT for those issues 2012.5/2014/2016/2017)

But i typically injure myself in some way, this time i woke up out of bed like this....Thats what dumbfounded me so much with this whole thing

Ive been back lifting 5wks. I stopped nacro's i was getting 7.5wks ago as my pain ceased.....Not too sure why. But i can finally do 10 pushups, before my left side would give out after 5-8 reps.

Still use a 7.5 or 10lb for my left tri as that is still the weakest link, i lift or exercise 6 days a wk.........Just as carefully as i can. Im not too old, 33, but i fear for years ahead with these issues.

When i am 45+, 55+ i can only imagine what ill have by than. I played hockey for 11 yrs, but not a big guy....6ft/210/215. Just have have rotaotor issues and some lower back when i was 18-23 and now they linger and pop back up here and there.

But threw the thick of this, i dont think ive ever had pain this bad. 6 - 5mg/325mg tylenol narco a day, plus a 5 - 10 or 15mg anti-inflammatory. I went to Italy and was on a flight for 8hr back and forth. It was pure hell

But long story short, when should i begin pushing the envelope ? or begin to start tapering up...?? I am just so fearful or re-injury, i like a fa king china doll right now and sick of it

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I have a fair amount of experience with nerve damage and nerve pain. In 2004, I received a pretty serious neck and head injury that required several surgeries, some titanium and 3 years of straight rehab, including balance rehab.

My neck and right hand are always burning due to damage to C5 nerve, they use heat and nerve gliding(videos on Youtube) and a medication called gabapentin and I get a ton of relief. My discs from C3-C6 are fused and a titanium cage was placed around the C5, where the neck was fractured. This is permanent for me and I get a couple epidurals a year to calm that C5 nerve root and the C7 disc down.
So based off my experience only. I use heat, light stretching and nerve gliding to control the issue. Hopefully yours is no where near that but I do understand what nerve pain feels like.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yea, never felt anything quite like it. Nothing helped, it was just terrible.

I made me a ghost here, and now the gym is as if i am 21. my lifts are just so weak, but i keep up with lots of reps and use machines still. Any re-injury would just kill me

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Stay tough brother, if it is only a pinched nerve it will calm down. I would be more concerned if it was running into your hands and fingers.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Stay tough brother, if it is only a pinched nerve it will calm down. I would be more concerned if it was running into your hands and fingers.

it did for the longest time. Both arms all the way to my fingers. thats was what really freaked me out, then to goto the othro & have him say im fine. Then go another 4-5 wks of it and go back, this time i ended up seeing a ortho surgeon and he too, "naw your okay, that's just minor inflammation and irritation."

yea, glad its over, just so weak and gym progress slo

Last edited:

Chillinlow

Reaction score
All these visits did you ever get a MRI ? Most Doctors make judgement calls and everyone has a opinion or a badass fix. Only a MRI will show what's going on in there.

Also a good PT programs makes huge difference some do a lot better then others and have different equipment available and more knowledgeable staff. Did you ever run electro shock therapy or the new heat machine or laser treatment etc?

First step MRI IMO

Last edited:

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im going through the same shit..I keep tweaking my neck and left trap area..Im doing something wrong on one of my presses..

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All these visits did you ever get a MRI ? Most Doctors make judgement calls and everyone has a opinion or a badass fix. Only a MRI will show what's going on in there.

Also a good PT programs makes huge difference some do a lot better then others and have different equipment available and more knowledgeable staff. Did you ever run electro shock therapy or the new heat machine or laser treatment etc?

First step MRI IMO

I had one, that was what i was talking about in my first post. I would get the in depth check out and nothing would ever show. The MRI (have had lots before so i know the drill) and x-rays showed very little. As if i was almost alright.....

But i was in killer pain, agony n such. So it was extremely annoying when i would be told i am pretty much GTG, just some minor stuff going on. Nothing to get excited about, its very very minor and they are surprised i am in such terrible pain from it.

Im finally back, tiny bit of pain and lifting.......Just only lifting paper plates it seems

MindlessWork

Captain Obvious
Reaction score
Have a bone spur in my right shoulder myself, and it has grown large over the years to the point it is now causing pain when I bench. I realized I have neglected it for nearly 50 years (broke the clavicle near the tip and was never quite set right). Chiro therapy eased it a bit but yes gonna have to go get the thing removed or get a resection done.

Chillinlow

Reaction score
Have you tried electro shock therapy? You can buy your own off Amazon or from Walgreens cheep helped me with some nerves in my back. Or least I think it did can't 100 percent say was that but I believe it did help.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Stay smart brother, good to see you back!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Have you tried electro shock therapy? You can buy your own off Amazon or from Walgreens cheep helped me with some nerves in my back. Or least I think it did can't 100 percent say was that but I believe it did help.

Perhaps you don't mean electro shock therapy
View attachment 4952

But electro stim therapy:)

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

acupuncture is pretty good, although the relief is short lived.

But aside that, no

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
back to 205 bench, 285 dead, 255 squat. basically like a jr. in hi school.

But it feels good to move a lil weight and not being hurting. Its been since May since i could do 25 push ups, basic power lifts with min/med. amounts of weight.

I do not want to get overzealous and go back re-start this cuz i went for bigger weight then i am ready for.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score

But it feels good to move a lil weight and not being hurting. Its been since May since i could do 25 push ups, basic power lifts with min/med. amounts of weight.

I do not want to get overzealous and go back re-start this cuz i went for bigger weight then i am ready for.

Good to hear your feeling better

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score

Slow and steady brother. Patience and persistence are your friends.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I want to just rack real weight.

It's been a long time moving 135/185/225

Reaction score
Im no doctor or therapist so I can't say exactly what you should do, but have you tried you're pressing movements with palms reverse facing? this puts the shoulder joint in a more relaxed position, easier on the rotator cuff. Might help if you have any type of impingement going on.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Last night, 305 pull. Felt good. Did reps of 2.

I just warmed up n kept adding more weight than normal.

Did 7 min of cardio during my sets too cuz it was dead in there.

The cardio was actually very helpful. I did my last 2 sets of 2 after it with 305.

New Threads