Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 541 Posts

Bench Press stuff

Since benching is on my mind, a couple of papers with intriguing results to share (PM for full paper as always):

Effects of Pre-exhaustion on the Patterns of Muscular Activity in the Flat Bench Press
    - Pre-exhausting a muscle (chest, front delt or tricep) before benching only increases the activation, the whole point of pre-exhausting, of the tricep, not the chest.
    - This was accomplished via 4x10 lying tricep extensions before attempting a 95% 1RM. Incline fly for chest & front raise for delts did nothing of note.

Effect of Barbell Weight on the Structure of the Flat Bench Press (free to read)
    - Here they looked at the muscle activation levels of the prime movers during the bench press (chest, front delt, triceps & lats) across a range of intensities from 70%-100%1RM for a single rep.
    - Chest maxed out at 70%1RM before dropping once they got beyond 90%1RM.
    - Front delt & lat activation steadily increased, maxing out at 100%1RM.
    - Triceps basically equalled chest for max activation at 90%1RM and then overtook everything at 100%1RM. Basically, triceps are the most active muscle group when maxing out on bench.

Interesting results. For a variety of reasons I think

Last edited by MrRippedZilla; 12-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    The toughest achievements involve long, isolated, battles with your self.

AWOL - PMs related to fat loss only please.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

Beezy (12-06-2017),BigJohnny (12-06-2017),BRICKS (12-06-2017),DF (12-06-2017),Gibsonator (12-06-2017),Jin (12-06-2017),Metalhead1 (12-06-2017),NbleSavage (12-06-2017),snake (12-06-2017),Solomc (12-09-2017),tinymk (12-06-2017),Zeigler (12-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,508 Times in 5,574 Posts
    Always nice when the research backs up experience. Beat the living shit out of your triceps for a big bench.

(Assumes technique is solid)
    Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

ECKSRATED (12-06-2017),ToolSteel (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 573 Posts
    JM press is going to take a front seat on push days for a couple months.
    Bigorexia is real.
    And you're too small.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 541 Posts
    The implications for hypertrophy are fairly profound too.

- Going too heavy on the bench, say below 5RM, is probably not going to do you much good in terms of chest growth. Not that trainees do this on a regular basis but it's still worth mentioning. The chest is still a fast twitch muscle group so 5-10RM sounds pretty good.

- For those who want to bring up their triceps, I think the pre-exaustion data has a lot of practical value.
    The level of tricep activation increases on a compound lift following an isolation lift. The tricep is also a fast twitch muscle group and, as we can see, responds well to heavy loads/lower volume.
    So, doing some extensions/isolation move of choice for a few sets of 8-10 and following that up with a big compound like CG bench for sets of 3-6 makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. It also backs up my experience with clients - triceps respond damn well to some load, no need for the pissy weight 20 rep "feel the burn" pushdowns.
    The toughest achievements involve long, isolated, battles with your self.

AWOL - PMs related to fat loss only please.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

ECKSRATED (12-06-2017),motown1002 (12-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    JM press is going to take a front seat on push days for a couple months.
    Close grip too. I recommend close grip over jm because it's closer to being a comp bench and will carry over more (in my experience). Jm press is good when done right but it can be a dangerous exercise when going heavy. Be careful. People ask me all the time how to get a stronger bench and my answer is always the same, heavy close grip. I'm talking 1-4 rep range. It's a power movement so u d dont need higher reps. Use extensions and other shit at higher reps for hypertrophy.
    Last edited by ECKSRATED; 12-06-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    Strengthfirst

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECKSRATED For This Useful Post:

BigJohnny (12-07-2017),Jin (12-06-2017),Maijah (12-07-2017),tinymk (12-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post

- Going too heavy on the bench, say below 5RM, is probably not going to do you much good in terms of chest growth. Not that trainees do this on a regular basis but it's still worth mentioning. The chest is still a fast twitch muscle group so 5-10RM sounds pretty good.

- For those who want to bring up their triceps, I think the pre-exaustion data has a lot of practical value.
    The level of tricep activation increases on a compound lift following an isolation lift. The tricep is also a fast twitch muscle group and, as we can see, responds well to heavy loads/lower volume.
    So, doing some extensions/isolation move of choice for a few sets of 8-10 and following that up with a big compound like CG bench for sets of 3-6 makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. It also backs up my experience with clients - triceps respond damn well to some load, no need for the pissy weight 20 rep "feel the burn" pushdowns.
    I should have read this before I posted. Very well said zilla.

It's funny u say that about pre exhausting the tris. When I used to "bodybuild" and had an arm day I would always start with tri cables extensions then move to close grip bench and go heavy. I always felt strong as **** on close grip we I did that.

And yes u can absolutely destroy your triceps with volume and heavy loads.
    Strengthfirst

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKSRATED For This Useful Post:

MrRippedZilla (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,421 Posts
    Okay so you confirmed my shitty bench is do to my shitty triceps. Thanks

On another note; I have been doing a pre-exhaustion for my chest for the last 8 weeks. Looks like this: cable cross overs (10 reps) and right to flat bench (10 reps), 4 sets. The idea is to take out those tris but damn, I'm not convinced it does much more for the chest then just bench. I'm old school and gauge the quality of my workout by not only the weights and reps but also my DOMS. (Shut it Doc Panda!) I think there's much to be said for just plan old benching for chest development.

Any thought Zilla on the pre-exhaustion workout for hypertrophy?

Side note: Went back to regular bench this week with reps of 10 and looked back in my records. That last 2 months costed me some serious poundage.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post

no need for the pissy weight 20 rep "feel the burn" pushdowns.
    Well sh*t...
    Itís such a great pump though.

Thanks
    I am also a close-grip bench instead of JM presses guy...I like to do between 1-4 reps on CG's and then I will finish em off with high volume moderate weight pushdowns or a rep out on close-grips. I have mixed and matched these for over a decade and my bench has always been solid. You gotta pound those triceps, I have a whole training day to max effort movements like floorpress, board or pinpresses and follow these with heavy close-grips.
    Great info Zilla!!
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

Jin (12-06-2017),MrRippedZilla (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,123 Posts
    I was big on close grip bp until I started floor pressing and pin pressing. It's a step up from regular close grip bp. Just my experience.
    Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional..

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,508 Times in 5,574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ECKSRATED View Post
    Close grip too. I recommend close grip over jm because it's closer to being a comp bench and will carry over more (in my experience). Jm press is good when done right but it can be a dangerous exercise when going heavy. Be careful. People ask me all the time how to get a stronger bench and my answer is always the same, heavy close grip. I'm talking 1-4 rep range. It's a power movement so u d dont need higher reps. Use extensions and other shit at higher reps for hypertrophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    I am also a close-grip bench instead of JM presses guy...I like to do between 1-4 reps on CG's and then I will finish em off with high volume moderate weight pushdowns or a rep out on close-grips. I have mixed and matched these for over a decade and my bench has always been solid. You gotta pound those triceps, I have a whole training day to max effort movements like floorpress, board or pinpresses and follow these with heavy close-grips.
    Great info Zilla!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I was big on close grip bp until I started floor pressing and pin pressing. It's a step up from regular close grip bp. Just my experience.
    Interesting contrast

Ecks and Tiny do you guys think you prefer close grip because of the specificity for PL competition versus seek who is looking for maximum hypertrophy?
    Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Interesting contrast

Ecks and Tiny do you guys think you prefer close grip because of the specificity for PL competition versus seek who is looking for maximum hypertrophy?
    Yes I do. Just over the years I have found these work best for me to get a big press on bench
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast