Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Interesting contrast

Ecks and Tiny do you guys think you prefer close grip because of the specificity for PL competition versus seek who is looking for maximum hypertrophy?
    Close grip is huge for strength gains. I wouldnt say its the best option for hypertrophy but can still be done for it. It's a power movement. Pin press and floor press shouldn't be your first choice for hypertrophy either. There's better choices.
    Strengthfirst

Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,123 Posts
    The floor press is without question definately a tricep mass builder. A whole upper body mass builder even. It is all upper body movement without any leg drive assistance. Not to mention it has no stress on my shoulders. Another key element I can feel huge tension on my triceps using big weights while minimizing joint discomfort like I get with like skull crushers. I would have to say floor presses are probably at the top when it comes to maximising hypertrophy and probably even gaining strength. But again, this is my own experience
    Last edited by Seeker; 12-06-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional..

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

ECKSRATED (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Okay so you confirmed my shitty bench is do to my shitty triceps. Thanks

On another note; I have been doing a pre-exhaustion for my chest for the last 8 weeks. Looks like this: cable cross overs (10 reps) and right to flat bench (10 reps), 4 sets. The idea is to take out those tris but damn, I'm not convinced it does much more for the chest then just bench. I'm old school and gauge the quality of my workout by not only the weights and reps but also my DOMS. (Shut it Doc Panda!) I think there's much to be said for just plan old benching for chest development.

Any thought Zilla on the pre-exhaustion workout for hypertrophy?

Side note: Went back to regular bench this week with reps of 10 and looked back in my records. That last 2 months costed me some serious poundage.
    Honestly, I always thought that pre-exhaustion was kind of stupid. Isolating a major muscle group before a compound lift is going to limit my total load on that lift, so why the **** would I do it? Mechanical load is THE greatest stimulus for muscle growth, I had no interest in limiting that.

Your experience goes together well with the data. An ever more relevant study for you is this. They did 1x10RM fly before 1x10RM on bench and found chest activation was the same but delt & tricep activation went up. Basically, your chest is tired so the other muscles take other the load - complete opposite of what pre-exhaust is "supposed" to achieve but, at the same time, makes a lot of logical sense. Pre-exhausting chest before bench doesn't work. It just doesn't.

The fact that it works for triceps, and not chest or delts, is really interesting (I know I've said that a lot in this thread but it is!). Makes me think about methods to bring up other weak points - biceps, etc. Backs up some training methods I use for clients.
    Last edited by MrRippedZilla; 12-07-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    The toughest achievements involve long, isolated, battles with your self.

AWOL - PMs related to fat loss only please.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

snake (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    On the CG vs floor press topic, both are good compound lifts for hypertrophy and I personally don't see a big difference in this regard. I'll add dips into this category too, despite not being a fan of it myself since I don't like the idea of teaching my shoulder to get into that sort of a position, it will work well for growth. Going pretty heavy on any of these 3 after some lighter isolation work seems like a solid strategy.

In terms of specificity to the bench, I agree with Ecks - the CG bench seems to have a lot more going for it. It's a more explosive lift compared to the traditional bench and that makes it much more interesting to experiment with.
    Like, we know muscle activation is key to getting stronger but it's also even more important when it comes to generating power (explosiveness), which is done by increasing the rate of force development (RFD). Well, one of the key factors to RFD is activating your muscles as early as possible. And we already know that doing some isolation work before the CG bench will increase tricep activation even more. So your improving the explosiveness of an already explosive lift. By rapidly improving the activation rate of your triceps, the main muscle group involved in heavy bench work, and your ability to generate power - your bench should benefit tremendously.
    I *think* I basically described why what works for Ecks works for Ecks. And it makes perfect sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 3,951 Posts
    I'm gonna try doing some tri work before my next close grip day and see how it goes. Shit I havent done that in years. I also wanna try hitting some tricep work before my max effort bench day days. My competition bench grip is pretty narrow with alot of tricep involved, so maybe itll work on bench for me too. Good discussion here.
    Strengthfirst

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKSRATED For This Useful Post:

MrRippedZilla (12-07-2017),ToolSteel (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    So pre exhausting your Tris before a compound lift leads to better tricep stimulation/growth, however doing the same does not for chest? Did I read that right?
    "You wouldn't know Gains if it was giving you a rim job". -Pillar of balance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maijah View Post
    So pre exhausting your Tris before a compound lift leads to better tricep stimulation/growth, however doing the same does not for chest? Did I read that right?
    Yep, you read it right. That's what makes it so interesting - the effectiveness of pre-exhaustion seems to depend on the muscle, and lift, in question.
    And keep in mind we have 3 studies showing this now. Pre-exhausting chest before bench is counterintuitive.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

Maijah (12-07-2017),snake (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,411 Times in 2,200 Posts
    I'm in the same boat as X and tiny. My competition bench has my pinkies barely touching the rings. "Close grip" is maybe an inch or so narrower on each side.

There are many people with a strong wide bench. But the best of the best always seems to be fairly narrow.
    You can't inject wisdom

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSteel For This Useful Post:

tinymk (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
    Yep, you read it right. That's what makes it so interesting - the effectiveness of pre-exhaustion seems to depend on the muscle, and lift, in question.
    And keep in mind we have 3 studies showing this now. Pre-exhausting chest before bench is counterintuitive.
    I never did it but I'm going to flip that; one set of bench and right to cables and see what comes of it. I'll let you know what I think in a few months.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

MrRippedZilla (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    For what it is worth, he is a quick video of the meat and potatoes of a big bench(for me).
    Floorpresses,
    2-1/2" & 4" pinpresses(measured from the chest to the bar). Deadweight on the pins no rebound effect.
    Close-grips with 100lb of chains. Brutal....The harder you push the heavier it gets.
    Close-grip bench--closest accessory exercise to a competition bench. I bench narrow so I am in 2 fingers from my competition grip.

Hope it is useful to someone on the board..

Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

BigJohnny (12-07-2017),Metalhead1 (12-08-2017),ToolSteel (12-07-2017),Zeigler (12-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    Sorry but I couldn't help noticing the dude at the water fountain!
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

tinymk (12-07-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12