Do you re-take your opener if your DQ'd

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Do you re-take your opener if your opening lift is not passed or do you move up?

I was taught and had it driven into my head, if my opener is not passed I retake it as a 2nd lift. I am a heavy opener in meets(about 20 pounds from where I expect to finish) and I tend to stick to this plan. Although, I have several friends who will go to their planned 2nd lift or meet in the middle and go up half way to their 2nd.

I know there is no wrong answer and everyone is different and has a preference.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Eh depends how it moved. But most likely i Would retake it get in the books then go balls to the wall on the third.

I've never missed an opener. I know shit happens but no one should miss an opener. Ever.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You shouldn't ever miss an opener \, yeah retake it.

Opener is a hard tripple around 90%
2nd hard double around 95%
3rd go for broke

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Eh depends how it moved. But most likely i Would retake it get in the books then go balls to the wall on the third.

I've never missed an opener. I know shit happens but no one should miss an opener. Ever.

Only ones I missed was because of an extreme bad travel day prior where I shouldn't have lifted at all but did and tore pec.

Openers are to be smoked!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score

I missed my opener bench at the IPL World Championships in Vegas. Just hit a PR squat and misgroved the bench low. Missed it. I thought to myself "better get your shit together". I came back and smoked it and my got 3rd for a PR 275 masters total. Shit happens, glad I got my head refocused and back on track...

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I missed my opener bench at the IPL World Championships in Vegas. Just hit a PR squat and misgroved the weight low. Missed it. I thought to myself "better get your shit together". I came back and smoked it and my got 3rd for a PR 275 masters total. Shit happens, glad I got my head refocused and back on track...

You gotta be missing a number there, 275 total for full power lol, yeah typo lol!

Just bustin your balls but it is funny

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
You gotta be missing a number there, 275 total for full power lol, yeah typo lol!

Just bustin your balls but it is funny

Yes sir Full power raw(sleeves). I need my balls busted from time to time LOL

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to repeat the opener. I don't care what the cause is. When you miss a lift you expend energy so your planned second may not be so secondy anymore.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
depends why i missed it. if it was something stupid (jumped a command) i might go to the 2nd but i normally would not raise the weight

Reaction score
I have only missed one opener ever and it was due to not knowing what the **** I was doing (first meet ever.) I didn’t even think twice about retaking it, I just did it.

Personally I would retake my opener every time due to a fear of bombing out. The only time I would see someone going straight to a second for good reason would be for a huge money meet and maybe they just missed due to a technicality like a missed command or fall back on the top of a squat.

New Threads