Differences between LH & HCG

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
This paper won't interest most since it deals with the molecular side of things but it got my attention after discovering how piss poor the knowledge of some GPs is. They think LH & hCG is the same thing - it isn't. Hell, some even think this stuff is completely irrelevant to men and that only women should be concerned about LH, etc...these people are responsible for treating you folks. It's scary.

Luteinizing hormone and human chorionic gonadotropin: origins of difference

Abstract
Luteinizing hormone (LH) and human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) are widely recognized for their roles in ovulation and the support of early pregnancy. Aside from the timing of expression, however, the differences between LH and hCG have largely been overlooked in the clinical realm because of their similar molecular structures and shared receptor. With technologic advancements, including the development of highly purified and recombinant gonadotropins, researchers now appreciate that these hormones are not as interchangeable as once believed. Although they bind to a common receptor, emerging evidence suggests that LH and hCG have disparate effects on downstream signaling cascades. Increased understanding of the inherent differences between LH and hCG will foster more effective diagnostic and prognostic assays for use in a variety of clinical contexts and support the individualization of treatment strategies for conditions such as infertility.

Main take home points

- hCG is more stable than LH and has a longer half-life, which gives it a greater level of receptor binding affinity due to being more biologically active. This is one of the reasons why hCG is prescribed rather than LH itself.

- LH & hCG bind to the same receptor but then trigger a different set of signals afterwards. LH works primarily through the AKT & ERK1/2 pathways while hCG is much more potent (up to 5x) at activating the cAMP pathway as seen below. This is actually an incredibly important distinction because by activating cAMP we get higher levels of PKA = more cholesterol entering the mitochondria, the rate limiting step for steroid synthesis. The activation of this cAMP-PKA pathway also allows us to suppress NROB2, which is good news for fertility. Finally, activating cAMP may, at least partially, explain why folks report feeling better with hCG being added to their TRT - you're replacing certain pathways that neither LH nor Testosterone are capable of replacing.
1-s2.0-S0303720713005248-gr3.jpg

Conclusion

hCG is not the same as LH and may offer folks some distinct benefits that are primarily driven via cAMP activation. These benefits include maintaining ITT levels, testicular size, fertility and possibly improved mood & general well being by backfilling pathways that other stuff (test, LH) isn't capable of backfilling.
If any of you are dealing with a medical practitioner that doesn't understand the importance of LH to men or considers hCG & LH to basically be the same thing, I recommend switching to another practitioner as soon as possible. Inept is the right word here :)

Last edited:

juuced

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for an interesting post. I havent been using much of my HCG during my TRT but I think I am going to start using it more.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Good stuff Zilla. Thanks for posting this. Since I started on TRT a couple years ago, Ive often felt like something was "missing" from my sense of normalcy. I never knew why, although I had heard hCG would help.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
I have ran TRT with and without HCG. Undoubtedly feel “better” with it. Cannot point to any one thing when I say better....just a bit more upbeat maybe...

Now what it has seemingly never helped me with is keeping the boys good and plump, or as reported by others increasing ejaculate.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I have ran TRT with and without HCG. Undoubtedly feel “better” with it. Cannot point to any one thing when I say better....just a bit more upbeat maybe...

Now what it has seemingly never helped me with is keeping the boys good and plump, or as reported by others increasing ejaculate.
That may have a lot to do with dosing and when the hCG was introduced within the grand scheme of things (how long you were on TRT, cycle history, etc).

I vaguely recall data (I *think* this paper) showing AAS users to respond poorly to hCG compared to healthy folks & those with idiopathic hypogonadism (IHH). They gave everyone 5000ius and measured the impact 72hrs post. The fact that both the AAS and IHH folks lacked Leydig cell stimulation to begin with leads to me suggest it's poor levels of Leydig cell sensitivity that is to blame. I know the authors in that paper hypothesized that it may also have something to do with the Corticotropin-release receptor (CRH) priming Leydig cells to have a more enhanced response to hCG in patients with unstimulated HPG axis too...which is interesting.

In any case, it means that a higher dose & a longer run may be needed to get those extra benefits :)

Last edited:

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. I had a hard time finding what I considered quality HCG so I stopped it for a while. I could definitely tell the difference.

Thank you Rip for what you do for us. I know it’s A LOT of work. I think sometimes we tend take you for granted here but you are very much appreciated.

New Threads