Best time for cardio?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
6'2 270 lbs and 3500 cals per day would appear you're at a pretty decent deficit already. It also looks like you're training pretty hard also staying with compounds and going heavy. You should be able to drop some bf with your current protocol. Instead of boring ass cardio which you really don't need at this point, try incorporating some additional anaerobic activity. Weight training is one already but try some outdoor sprints, hill sprints, sled pushes, tire flips. Even pool laps. I get a helluva a pump doing any of those and can totally feel my heart racing. You'll get muscle conditioning and a cardio vascular experience this way.

Last edited:

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Do you take some carbs in in between?

No, I do not. I always drink a gainer shake before training, and yes, I could probably eat a side of beef immediately after. Last year at this time doing a "bulk" I did no cardio. Currently doing a serious recomp and doing an hour of cardio every training day, usually split 30/30 before/after or in that ballpark to get my hour. So far the fat is coming off nicely and my weight is staying between 255-258.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
No, I do not. I always drink a gainer shake before training, and yes, I could probably eat a side of beef immediately after. Last year at this time doing a "bulk" I did no cardio. Currently doing a serious recomp and doing an hour of cardio every training day, usually split 30/30 before/after or in that ballpark to get my hour. So far the fat is coming off nicely and my weight is staying between 255-258.

And you don't think it affects your weight training to do it before hand?

I always thought you should do weights first while you are "fresh" and muscles are full of glycogen. Then, When that's been depleted, do your cardio and burn more fat. Or maybe that's a completely false assumption?

Calling Mr. RippedZilla

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't personally noticed a difference either way.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the level of cardio. If Bricks is doing light to moderate cardio prior to lifting then I don't think it will affect his training like he claims it doesn't. One way or the other, like Bricks said, if weightlifting is intense, then cardio after will be too draining, but also vice Versa. But from what I've learned doing cardio after has better health benefits. The best way in my opinion is to just split them up. Bricks has the good life,he can do a split.

Last edited:

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Two of my cardio days a week are sprints on the stepmill. That day is taxing, but it gets done. I also take a nap after I eat after the gym. But there's now way I'm doing one in the morning and coming back in the evening to do another. All in one session.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Two of my cardio days a week are sprints on the stepmill. That day is taxing, but it gets done. I also take a nap after I eat after the gym. But there's now way I'm doing one in the morning and coming back in the evening to do another. All in one session.

Lol ok man. Haha

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score

Nap time!!!! Been incorporating this "technique" more and more as I get older....

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Like pob said. They have debunked that fasted cardio. And honestly for the cop out answer that’s the simple truth the best time for you to do cardio is when You have the most juice. Why try to wake up fasted and half ass your cardio when you can do it later on when you have more energy or vice versa I get this question from my clients all the time and I tell them the same. Work with Your body and Its schedule.

New Threads