Best time for cardio?

Reaction score
Whats up fellas ? Ok i know there is probly no right answer but in your opinions when is the best time to do cardio for burning fat and without jeopardizing muscle. Thanks guys

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Best time for me is in the morning before I eat, if I can get my lazy ass out of bed.

Reaction score
Best time for me is in the morning before I eat, if I can get my lazy ass out of bed.

Lol thats what i am thinking i just got my treadmill delivered finally and i am thinking just out of bed on empty stomach would use fat for energy but i also am alittle worried mg boy might try to use muscle for energy also not sure about the science behind it all i was hopeing one of you could enlighten me alittle.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
There are plenty of studies out there talking about this. I have read that fasted cardio burns about 20% more fat than non fasted cardio. But think about it. How much really is 20%? Not as a whole, but of the fat you are burning during that session. Fasted cardio works better for me because I am pretty lean already and just trying to get the rest off. Im not sure what bf you are, but if your bf is high, or not in single digits, I wouldn't worry about when, just do it. That's the hard part anyway. Get your heart rate into the fat burning range and have at it.

Just My opinion. :)

juuced

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree on fasted cardio first thing when you wake up. I do take a baby aspirin and a small cup of black coffee first.
I will also sip on water with BCAA's during the cardio.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
any time you can motivate yourself to do it is a great time. I'd say not before resistance training but I know a pumpkin who does this and you can't argue with a pumpkin.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
did anybody say never yet? oh alright then, alex I'll take never for 500 please

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Whats up fellas ? Ok i know there is probly no right answer but in your opinions when is the best time to do cardio for burning fat and without jeopardizing muscle. Thanks guys

Feeling triggered

Lol thats what i am thinking i just got my treadmill delivered finally and i am thinking just out of bed on empty stomach would use fat for energy but i also am alittle worried mg boy might try to use muscle for energy also not sure about the science behind it all i was hopeing one of you could enlighten me alittle.

Triggered

There are plenty of studies out there talking about this. I have read that fasted cardio burns about 20% more fat than non fasted cardio. But think about it. How much really is 20%? Not as a whole, but of the fat you are burning during that session. Fasted cardio works better for me because I am pretty lean already and just trying to get the rest off. Im not sure what bf you are, but if your bf is high, or not in single digits, I wouldn't worry about when, just do it. That's the hard part anyway. Get your heart rate into the fat burning range and have at it.

Just My opinion. :)

Triggering intensifies

I agree on fasted cardio first thing when you wake up. I do take a baby aspirin and a small cup of black coffee first.
I will also sip on water with BCAA's during the cardio.

AUTISTIC SCREECHING

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What time of day is best is whatever time of day you can make time for it. First let's just recognize that yes it can be good for you but it's not really the best way to lose fat. Especially not if you are doing lengthy sessions and/or frequently.

Doing cardio fasted is not more effective and nobody can provide evidence of this. Only time it MAY help is when you are 9% and going for 5%. Stop doing fasted cardio for wrong reasons. Hell most guys recommending it can't even tell you what "fasted" even means. Most make this ridiculous definition that seems to revolve around insulin because insulin makes you fat. Except it doesn't. Then they recommend bcaa for fasted cardio so you don't use muscle for energy. But then their head explodes when you tell them leucine in bcaa raises insulin and the body is always using muscle for energy.

Here is the deal without any ****ing bullshit broscience that people treat like a god damn religion

Your body is using protein fat carbohydrate (and others like phosphocreatine) for energy at all times. One is usually the primary source. Protein isn't the primary source except in rare circumstances because the process of using it is inefficient. Using fat for energy less efficient than carbs. Using carbs is slightly less efficient than phosphocreatine.

Just maintain a deficit. Eat enough protein. Don't go nuts in cardio. Lift heavy. Be consistent over time.

Reaction score
What time of day is best is whatever time of day you can make time for it. First let's just recognize that yes it can be good for you but it's not really the best way to lose fat. Especially not if you are doing lengthy sessions and/or frequently.

Doing cardio fasted is not more effective and nobody can provide evidence of this. Only time it MAY help is when you are 9% and going for 5%. Stop doing fasted cardio for wrong reasons. Hell most guys recommending it can't even tell you what "fasted" even means. Most make this ridiculous definition that seems to revolve around insulin because insulin makes you fat. Except it doesn't. Then they recommend bcaa for fasted cardio so you don't use muscle for energy. But then their head explodes when you tell them leucine in bcaa raises insulin and the body is always using muscle for energy.

Here is the deal without any ****ing bullshit broscience that people treat like a god damn religion

Your body is using protein fat carbohydrate (and others like phosphocreatine) for energy at all times. One is usually the primary source. Protein isn't the primary source except in rare circumstances because the process of using it is inefficient. Using fat for energy less efficient than carbs. Using carbs is slightly less efficient than phosphocreatine.

Just maintain a deficit. Eat enough protein. Don't go nuts in cardio. Lift heavy. Be consistent over time.

Thanks pob i am trying to get the recomp program dialed in that spongy sent me. So i am trying what many deem impossible which is trying to lose body fat while building muscle. I am 6ft 2 and about 270 around 18% body fat i train with free weights 5 days a week trying tk lift as heavy and hard as possible with as many compound exercises as possible. I am taking my diet seriously eating as clean as possible im taking in around 3500 calories a day
I know its not great and needs work.

7am 4 eggs 1 slice cheese 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 tbsp peanut butter splash 2%milk

9am 2scoop muscle milk 2 cup 2% milk scoop supergreens 1/2 banana

11am 6oz chicken breast 1/2 cup brown rice 1/2 cup green bean or broccoli

1pm 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt raws almonds and teaspoon honey

3pm 6oz chicken breast 1/2 cup brown rice 1/2 cup greenbean or broccoli

530pm post workout shake 2scoop muscle milk 2 cup 2%milk

7pm 8oz chicken breast or steak 1/2 cup green beans or broccoli

930pm 2scoop muscle milk 2cup 2%milk

i am taking 500 mg test cyp. And around 300 mg tren as soon as i get it should be soon.
My main issue is trying to figure out the optimal calorie intake to where i can build as much muscle as possible without adding any more body fat. I know you OG guys have seen it time and time again a newb comming in wanting to get huge and ripped over night. I know it dont work that way and it takes years of dedication and alot of blood sweat and tears. I am willing to put it in i just need some help along the way. If i can learn from guys like pob spongy and the rest of the OG’s and maybe save some myself some time money snd wasted efforts i am truly grateful thats why i joined this forum and i truly appreciate the advice i am given. I know most of you have been there snd done that and thats whats up. There is a TON of knowledge on this forum.

juuced

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just maintain a deficit. Eat enough protein. Don't go nuts in cardio. Lift heavy. Be consistent over time.[/QUOTE]

The word of God! AMEN

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
any time you can motivate yourself to do it is a great time. I'd say not before resistance training but I know a pumpkin who does this and you can't argue with a pumpkin.

The pumpkin does most of his cardio before weight training because after weight training it is too easy to say fk cardio. Actually I say that before too, but i still do it.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
when i was doing it mornings always was the best...After the weights im not into anymore

jrsgym

Reaction score
2-3x per week after training. Except leg day.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
The pumpkin does most of his cardio before weight training because after weight training it is too easy to say fk cardio. Actually I say that before too, but i still do it.

Do you take some carbs in in between?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When i do cardio it's in the morning, but only because it wakes me up and gets me in a good mood.

I've done all sorts of different types and intensities and what I've learned is calories burned = calories burned regardless of how you burn them. True, some forms of cardio will break down muscle more than others and intense cardio will certainly benefit the cardiovascular system... But cardio is just one of those things not to overthink unless you are competing or at a very low body fat already.

Reaction score
yes. morning fasted before food has shown to be best. Really the best time is when you have time, even 30 minutes of steady state cardio after lifting is good.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
The second Tuesday of every week without fail.

New Threads