What should I do?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I’ve been eating heavily for a while now and I’m still not gaining weight. The last month and a half I’ve been eating so much and doing 3-4 (40-50g) protein shakes a day to the point where it’s making me nauseous constantly. I work out for 35 to 45 minutes a day, 4 days a week. I’m not gaining muscle or weight. Been working out on and off for two years now. If anything I’m loosing weight. I think it’s putting me in a depressed state of mind. I have thought heavily about steroids (mainly testosterone) I have no way of getting gear and I don’t personally know anybody who uses them. I was thinking about making a drs apt to see if there was anything they could do. I am just looking for some advice, any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

Ironwood

Reaction score
How old are you? Need some stats - ht, wt? 3-4 protein shakes a beast does not make. Eat some real food and supplement with shakes. Always good idea to get blood work done. Also, define “working out”.

Reaction score
I’ll be 26 in April. I have 6 meals a day, a lot of snacks, not including shakes. I’m 6”3, 165lbs. Very high metabolism. I have a golds gym in my basement and lots of dumbbells. I do biceps, triceps, and shoulders Monday/Thursday. I do chest/back/abs Tuesday/Friday.

jrsgym

Reaction score
Diets off. Post your diet, please. Have you checked out the Diet, Nutrition and Supplement section?

Last edited:

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
honestly stop drinking shakes. You're not going to gain weight from drinking shakes to add calories. Sure, maybe 1 a day but you need solid foods.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ll be 26 in April. I have 6 meals a day, a lot of snacks, not including shakes. I’m 6”3, 165lbs. Very high metabolism. I have a golds gym in my basement and lots of dumbbells. I do biceps, triceps, and shoulders Monday/Thursday. I do chest/back/abs Tuesday/Friday.

It's because you don't train legs. God punishes those who don't squat.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fundamentally, if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain weight. Start keeping a diet journal and log your calories. Incrementally increase your calories until the scale starts moving in the direction you want it to go.

Ironwood

Reaction score
6 meals is great, but what is your total calories? 30-40 min workout is nothing. Try to get that to an hour plus. I see from your profile you got some great advise from some of the vets here already. Make sure you follow it.

And good lord, add some squats to your workout. Don’t neglect your legs if you really want to gain weight.

Reaction score
Diets off. Post your diet, please.

Yesterday: 7:00am I had 2 packets of oatmeal, 3 hard boiled eggs and a yogurt.
8:00am 40g protein shake
9:30am 3 large scoops of cottage cheese and strawberries.
11:30am 40g protein shake
12:30pm 2 chicken, mayo and spinach pita sandwiches
2:00pm 2 hard boiled eggs and a yogurt.
3:45pm big chicken breast, noodles, broccoli and a salad with more egg in it.
5:30 hungry man mean (38g of protein), 2 venison beef sticks.
7:00pm 2 small cans of tuna and a pickle
9:00pm 40g protein shake before bed

that was yesterday and I had some more snacks in there somewhere but every day for almost the last two months that’s about how much I eat. I usually have to force myself because I get nauseous.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday: 7:00am I had 2 packets of oatmeal, 3 hard boiled eggs and a yogurt.
8:00am 40g protein shake
9:30am 3 large scoops of cottage cheese and strawberries.
11:30am 40g protein shake
12:30pm 2 chicken, mayo and spinach pita sandwiches
2:00pm 2 hard boiled eggs and a yogurt.
3:45pm big chicken breast, noodles, broccoli and a salad with more egg in it.
5:30 hungry man mean (38g of protein), 2 venison beef sticks.
7:00pm 2 small cans of tuna and a pickle
9:00pm 40g protein shake before bed

that was yesterday and I had some more snacks in there somewhere but every day for almost the last two months that’s about how much I eat. I usually have to force myself because I get nauseous.

Start weighing your portions of meat and counting calories. Figure out your TDEE and eat more. Dump the protein shakes except for maybe 1 per day.

My guys can eat 4500 calories per day with zero shakes.

You might be surprised at how little your chicken breasts actually weigh after they are cooked.

Start subbing beef or salmon for the chicken breast for added calories.

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
Start eating some pizza, five guys, calzones and some beef. 6’3 165, you need some groceries. Trust me, those foods got me to 340 fat ass pounds. Just don’t take it as far as I did! Lol

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
These guys are right on. Once you start measuring your food and counting the cals, you will see right away you are not consuming as much as you thought. Throw in some beef and turkey in there. Getting the calories you need to grow eating clean foods is not easy. And for gods sake, train those legs. POB punishes all that do not train legs! lol

Reaction score
These guys are right on. Once you start measuring your food and counting the cals, you will see right away you are not consuming as much as you thought. Throw in some beef and turkey in there. Getting the calories you need to grow eating clean foods is not easy. And for gods sake, train those legs. POB punishes all that do not train legs! lol

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am trying really hard to eat all my calories. How does everyone eat so much without feeling over-full all the time. Do you ever get used to it? Hah I know I should train legs but I’m more worried about upper body. I will start legs when I start seeing results. Plus my legs get a work out everyday from going up 3 flights of stairs 10 times a day carrying my two year old and food etc...lol

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am trying really hard to eat all my calories. How does everyone eat so much without feeling over-full all the time. Do you ever get used to it? Hah I know I should train legs but I’m more worried about upper body. I will start legs when I start seeing results. Plus my legs get a work out everyday from going up 3 flights of stairs 10 times a day carrying my two year old and food etc...lol

That's where eating higher calorie protein sources comes in. 4oz chicken breast has about 185 calories. 4oz sirloin has about 275. 4oz salmon has about 235.

Almonds are small and mighty. avocados same way. full fat Greek yogurt if you're ok with dairy. cook with olive oil.

Reaction score
That's where eating higher calorie protein sources comes in. 4oz chicken breast has about 185 calories. 4oz sirloin has about 275. 4oz salmon has about 235.

Almonds are small and mighty. avocados same way. full fat Greek yogurt if you're ok with dairy. cook with olive oil.
Thank you. I will be going grocery shopping tomorrow. So say I eat 4,000 calories a day. About how long would it take for me to notice weight gains?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Train your legs. Then you will be hungry. They are the largest muscle group. I always eat the most on leg day because I am the hungriest after training.

Those flights or of stairs ain't gonna do jack.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Those flights of stairs are.......................CARDIO..................ugh. That's all you need, big upper body and pencil legs. Not a good look. I add Olive oil, coconut oil, red palm oil in my meals. Helps with the cals. I put almond oil on my baked red potatoes. Good stuff.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
In my opinion, you need to substantially up your carb intake. Thats what I had to do. Set your protein goal at 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight (id actually set it at 1.2 grams per pound of your goal weight). After you figure out your TDEE and protein requirement, increase your caloric intake by 15-20% and make sure about 50% of your daily calories comes from carbs. I guarantee you will gain weight. Oh, and learn how to squat, it will up your testosterone production, same with deadlifts.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Thank you. I will be going grocery shopping tomorrow. So say I eat 4,000 calories a day. About how long would it take for me to notice weight gains?

I dont think anyone saw this question... So the answer to your question is, if you are consistant/disciplined with your new "bulk" diet that we have discussed, and you keep track of your diet via myfitnesspal, you will probably start gaining weight pretty fast... at your current size, probably a few pounds a week. But only if you are squatting and deadlifting too... you need to incorporate compound lifts into your lifting plan, without them, your progress will probably be half as slow at best.

New Threads