Sterilizing and capping

Ardor

Reaction score
I know this is my first post in a very long time. I’ve been pretty occupied with my newborn baby boy. But over the past few months I’ve been doing a little bit of research on how to home brew. The one question that I keep coming back to is how do people who do this get the sterilized solution in a sealed vial without two pinholes in the rubber stopper? I’m pretty anal about inspecting stuff and don’t ever remember seeing pinholes in the rubber stoppers of gear i used to get back in the day. I mean at any given point there’s air that’s ultimately going to be coming in contact with the solution prior to it being sealed so even if you were to sterilize the vials and stoppers wouldn’t you still be at risk to possible contamination during the process of actually putting the stoppers on the sterile vials and sealing?

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
i know nothing about home brewing but my best guess is the tops are crimped on in some sort of fashion, after the sweet nectar is put in there

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
i know nothing about home brewing but my best guess is the tops are crimped on in some sort of fashion, after the sweet nectar is put in there

This!...................

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A quality source isnt using pre-sterilized vials.

Since you are not doing this for retail sale and just home brewing who cares if there is a hole in the stopper to fill it. Much easier than sterilizing capping and crimping.

Reaction score
It come down to area sterilization and air quality. Are most UGL labs using super expensive hoods, body suits, and whatever else a super lab may use (research)? No, many, not all, are using sterile pipettes or a sterilzed glass funnel, or just pouring directly into sterilized vial, and crimping on caps. In a good UGL, there is minimal chance of contamination going from media bottle to vial, then crimping. Body hair and skin are what some find if the lab does not take body cover precautions.
There a other methods.
To answer your question, vials are bought seperate from caps, and the caps are crimped in using a crimper. There are videos showing this.

If going into srerile vial, I use 20G on syringe filter, 24G for vent, and you can't see any marks when done. Depends on quality of sterile sealed vials.
I only use syringe filters for small test runs.

I brew for myself and will never supply anyone. The risks are too great when you have a family. Idiots will most likely travel with your gear, and if caught, will snitch you out fast when threatened with everything under the sun.
Even family, I have seen it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I work for a pharm company as a microbiologist. i deal with contamination etc.

When i brew, i purchase pre-sealed vials. i have a tool to take the cap off and i make sure to take the rubber out in sterile manner.
I fill the vial with filtered product and put the rubber cap back on. Put a new metal cap on and clamp it.

I used to use syringe filter but the process is ****ing hell. I get filter units now and use hand pump.

if i did get open vials, i would clean the inside a vial with a cleaner and dry. Rubber stopper, i would clean with cleaning solution and dry as well. after that i can fill the vial and cap it with rubber.

Reaction score
This is all you need. purchased unsealed vials.
Purchase rubber stompers
purchase fliptop caps
then purchase a Crimper to air close the rubber stomper on the glass vile and the flip top cap over the rubber stomper (of course AFTER you have filled said vial with sterile gear... all these products can be purchased here.
www gpzmedlab com (THEY SELL NO GEAR, JUST STERILE SUPPLIES AND THEY ARE BASED OUT OF FLORIDA..

New Threads