Strengthening Balance

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
So I was wondering, who works on balance? I did Bulgarian split squats again tonight and I had to prop 1 hand on a damn chair just so I wouldn't tip over. I've never had very good balance and just can't seem to get into any decent groove while trying to improve it .

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
years of wrestling and grappling gave me great balance..I never actually practiced balancing

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
First time I did those I fell over a few times. Def takes some time to get used to.

I remember pillar had me do them with a single dumbell in the opposite hand of the foot on the floor. That's hard as fukk too. They have become one of my favorite leg movements now (db and bb). Never actually practiced balancing tho

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering, who works on balance? I did Bulgarian split squats again tonight and I had to prop 1 hand on a damn chair just so I wouldn't tip over. I've never had very good balance and just can't seem to get into any decent groove while trying to improve it .

It gets easier. Make sure you are leaned forward a bit to keep a neutral spine.

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
I had to use a dumbbell in the opposite hand as well. 5 sets of 10, 4 of which I used 100s. I love the BSS, but I just have to prop a damn hand on something. Even using light weights, so I can't just claim to be uneasy with the dumbbell in my hand. Lol

Reaction score
I started reading alot about foot strength / balance and how it correlates to longevity. It convinced me and now im sucking at BSS with the rest of you.

Reaction score
I do a-lot of balance training with my older clients. a-lot of standing on 1 foot and doing dumbbell curls, presses or leaning forward to touch an object low to the ground. I train them 10 reps per side for 2 sets. You can see when someone has unstable feet, ankles or just bad balance form under developed proprioception. It usually only takes a few weeks 2-3 times per week before they show improved performance.

New Threads