Quarter squats

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
That's completely wrong.

Show me any pro or decent powerlifter that quarter squats intentionally.

Not wanting to argue but I know how I was taught for over a decade.

You won't see guy like Dan Green agreeing with you, sorry brother but we just don't do it because of muscle memory.

Now we do squat high but only because we missed depth.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You won't see a powerlifters train quarter squats but you will see them go narrow with different box heights or no box, front squat and even leg press.

We use contrast and boxes and never compromise with intent cutting short a squat unless we just can't get it to depth.

A few guys leg press like Brain Carroll and his team.

I know of many lifters that trained way too often off a high box only to bomb out on squats majority or the time.

Depth for lights is tricky you gotta break but not wanting to go too low because the lower you go the heavier it gets.

We train was we compete to have a great self conscious feel of depth and still many will use an up command during prep and competition

During prep we know we are going to attempt a weight we have never got under and a lot of times weeks out weight below that is hard to get depth but we also know we will be fresh and stronger at the meet and the weight will feel much better.

The body and mind is tricky on what we teaches it, in any sport athletes focus on technique to not generate bad habits and when a bad habit arises slumped start to happen and is why there is a bench and like in MLB a minor league system.

I'm strictly talking powerlifting and what has been taught to me by people you all watch break records at the highest level.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Show me any pro or decent powerlifter that quarter squats intentionally.

Not wanting to argue but I know how I was taught for over a decade.

Na, no argument; you know I do things a little differently than most.

I was actually never really taught by anyone over my years so I was forced to learn. Trust me, you would change your mind if you opened it. Give me a chance, all your efforts and at that point, if you still disagree, I will accept that. You really have nothing to lose.

That offer is open to anyone.

Reaction score
I would just be worried about aggravating a tendon or something being in such a prime position for too long. Box squats or pin squats could be really good for that.

Piggy backing off this thread, do you think you could potentially perform iso squats in the same way you could do iso pulls and see some carry over?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
This is done on a box, both low and high.

We don't wanna teach our non box to go to low or high and is why a lot of teams give up commands.

You need to feel the sweat spot without a box but on a box go high and low.
This is exactly what I was going to say. 18” box is awesome for overloading the bar weight. And much safer than squatting high in the air imo.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I would just be worried about aggravating a tendon or something being in such a prime position for too long. Box squats or pin squats could be really good for that.

Piggy backing off this thread, do you think you could potentially perform iso squats in the same way you could do iso pulls and see some carry over?
Man.... I love some iso pulls when used properly. But idk if I hate myself enough to even consider iso squats :32 (18):

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sheiko prescribes paused squats with the pause coming at different sticking points the lifter might have rather then just in the hole.

And yes I said prescribes....because Sheiko

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Sheiko prescribes paused squats with the pause coming at different sticking points the lifter might have rather then just in the hole.

With light weight? Still wouldn't do it, contrast makes more sense.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score

I did those before my last meet at my sticking point and it helped tremendously. Those and pin squats right at my sticking point.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Fukk I just wanna squat again. That's all. Lol

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I did those before my last meet at my sticking point and it helped tremendously. Those and pin squats right at my sticking point.

I was wondering if you'd tried pin squats. Makes sense to utilize them at your sticking point

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I was wondering if you'd tried pin squats. Makes sense to utilize them at your sticking point

Yea I like pin squats alot.

I didn't start this thread cus I think quarter squats are a good thing to do. I was just thinking outloud and wanted to see what u guys thought. And i got some good responses.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Yea I like pin squats alot.

I didn't start this thread cus I think quarter squats are a good thing to do. I was just thinking outloud and wanted to see what u guys thought. And i got some good responses.

It's definitely a good thread. I've learned quite a bit myself, and it's nice seeing two different schools of thought (i.e. snake and sfg)

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
If I ever heal completely and can compete again I'm gonna try some quarter squats during prep. See what happens.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
With light weight? Still wouldn't do it, contrast makes more sense.

Yup. It's Sheiko so it's light weight with a bazillion reps. 50-60% for these. And the pause is always somewhere coming out of the hole ie 3/4 of the way up to lock out - so you should still always be hitting depth. There is never any reason to do a comp style squat and not at least intend to hit depth imo - we all know what happens during meet prep. Anyone who says they've gone a full peak without cutting some squats high is lying. But I can't imagine cutting a squat short on purpose can have any benefit. We are trying to groove a motor pattern.

I'm 100% on board with high box squats for overload. They are great for getting you used to handling heavy weights. Reverse bands are ok too, but I prefer the high box for my own training.

New Threads