Quarter squats

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
For strength training u see guys doing board press or block pulls with weights heavier than their max. How come u never see guys doing quarter squats with the same thing in mind?? Heavier percentages but let's say half the range of motion? I know guys overload with bands and chains but I'm talkin raw weight. What u guys think? I think it would carry over well if used properly in your training. Kinda like static holds with heavier weight so u get yiur CNS used to those loads.

Discuss

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I do practice some walkouts with weights over my max and feel they really prioritize getting tight under the bar. Damn tight. Literally, for some reason I cannot do a quarter squat. I go to the floor and back up. I have tried to many times and found it humbling. For me and my situation and injuries I stick to a full depth squat except walkouts.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I always did 1/4 squats the last 4-6 weeks before a meet. They are great for breaking through plateaus too! They get your body acclimated to taking out that heavy stuff. Gives you that, "Yeah, I got this" feeling when you have to Max out.

You ever see some dude take a single out and get those saucer eyes? He should have been doing 1/4 squats.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
1/4 squats can be useful. Just like you said. I’ve used them on a couple young atheletes. You never see a basketball player doing a full squat to get a rebound. Of course we train full rom but we throw in 1/4s aswell.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
FD 1/4" pokes his significant other's pooper, but when all you got is 1/4".........................

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For you as a powerlifter I can't see where 1/4 squats would benefit your overall maxes % wise compared to what you're doing now and some of the other options you've mentioned above. I can see where certain athletes in specific sports using moderate weight might benefit from it. Using a box jump for example. I think it's a retarded exercise for the typical lifter that produces no benefit whatsoever for progress. But for a small group of athletes in specific sports it can be useful. Plus overloading a bar with just raw weight where you can only manage a 1/4 squat is probably more risky than worth any reward you might get out of it.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I do practice some walkouts with weights over my max and feel they really prioritize getting tight under the bar. Damn tight. Literally, for some reason I cannot do a quarter squat. I go to the floor and back up. I have tried to many times and found it humbling. For me and my situation and injuries I stick to a full depth squat except walkouts.

Agreed 100%. Walkouts were the first thing that came to my mind.

I haven't personally tried them yet, but I would think top range heavy partial squats would be an alternative to the quarter squat

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
This is done on a box, both low and high.

We don't wanna teach our non box to go to low or high and is why a lot of teams give up commands.

You need to feel the sweat spot without a box but on a box go high and low.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Training quarets squats teaches you how to get red lights.

Anyone serious in powerlifting knows how hard it can be prior to a meet getting depth at times and becomes a focal point.

Wanna teach yourself a bad habit that can be hard to correct teach yourself how to cut short your squats and then see how hard it is to regain that feel of just getting enough depth for whites.

Reason it's ok on a box is the box isn't like squatting without one, you sit way more back on a box and go wider.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Quarter Squats for Bodybuilding has proven for many to be money, powerlifting it's taboo.

Money for bodybuilding? Not that I've ever heard or seen. Just slightly above parallel or parallel for quad focus but quarter?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Some good points for sure. Injury is probably the biggest con so far. I think if used occasionally it could Def benefit certain lifters. If u have problems hitting depth then it's probably not a good tool to implement into your training. Ray Williams is one of the best squatters EVER and barely ever hits depth in the gym and never has a problem on the platform. He's one of a kind tho.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Money for bodybuilding? Not that I've ever heard or seen. Just slightly above parallel or parallel for quad focus but quarter?

He's probably talking abut constant tension on the muscles.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He's probably talking abut constant tension on the muscles.

Then don't lock out on top. Just like any other exercise when trying to keep constant tension on a muscle during reps. Same applies for squats. As I do when focusing specifically on quad development. Hit just above or parallel

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Donte was big on them with his Dogshit program.

Maybe in between quarter and parallel

I call all high squats quarter squats lol

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Donte was big on them with his Dogshit program.

Maybe in between quarter and parallel

I call all high squats quarter squats lol

haha I had a feeling we might have been referring to something similar

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x2 on practicing walk-outs to get acclimated to the heavier weight - I do this when in a strength-building meso-cycle.

Another vote for yer box squats with > 1RM load so as to avoid compromising comp squat form.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Training quarets squats teaches you how to get red lights.

Anyone serious in powerlifting knows how hard it can be prior to a meet getting depth at times and becomes a focal point.

Wanna teach yourself a bad habit that can be hard to correct teach yourself how to cut short your squats and then see how hard it is to regain that feel of just getting enough depth for whites.

Reason it's ok on a box is the box isn't like squatting without one, you sit way more back on a box and go wider.

That's completely wrong.

New Threads