Supplements for lowering hematocrit?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think we're all aware that blood donation can be used to manage hematocrit, but I'm curious if anyone has had any experience using supplements to lower it (i.e via grape fruit or something else)

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
a whole bag of dicks, every day.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
but honestly, no. Just regular blood donations

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Either eating grapefruit daily or taking grapefruit seed extract has been touted to lower hematocrit on another forum.

I've been rather lucky being on TRT since April 28, 2017. My hematocrit peaked at 48.6 in November 2017, and my last labs in February 2018 had it at 45.7. I haven't eaten grapefruit since December, lol.

Another thing that may help is hydration. I was the most hydrated ever for this last set of labs per instructions from my doctor's office. They wanted me to drink at least a gallon of water the day before my blood work and to be well hydrated prior to getting it drawn. As a result, I had a quart of water prior to having my blood drawn that morning, as well as drinking 1.5 gallons the day before.

EDIT: I have yet to donate blood!

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
but honestly, no. Just regular blood donations

I was thinking about this the other day as I too donate regularly to combat a high-normal crit.

If hematocrit is just a ratio of red cells to the rest of your blood, wouldn't you have to do a "double red cell" donation in order to lower crit? Wouldn't a regular "whole blood" donation just lower your overall blood volume but do nothing to change the ratio itself?

Like a pitcher of sweet tea that's too sweet, just pouring some out won't change how sweet the rest of it is.

Has anyone done before and after bloods, testing specifically for changes in crit?

Last edited:

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Iron,

Those are my thoughts exactly. My crit was very high a few years ago and I got a script to get rid of blood once a week. Hardly moved the level. I think the idea is, what ever the cause of the high crit level, once its gone blood levels will level out.....maybe..,.. lol

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day as I too donate regularly to combat a high-normal crit.
If hematocrit is just a ratio of red cells to the rest of your blood, wouldn't you have to do a "double red cell" donation in order to lower crit? Wouldn't a regular "whole blood" donation just lower your overall blood volume but do nothing to change the ratio itself?
Like a pitcher of sweet tea that's too sweet, just pouring some out won't change how sweet the rest of it is.
Has anyone done before and after bloods, testing specifically for changes in crit?
You may be interested in this thread. Jol's response on page 3 is worth highlighting - the main goal is to reduce blood viscosity in general. Targeting RBCs just tends to be the main way of doing it - hence the focus on HCT.

Coincidentally, this topic came up a few days ago with my endo & the family (both my parents are endos too).
The latest data shows that regular donations may not be effective for TRT folks who are sensitive to these blood count side effects (they have issues even when T is in the normal range). The majority opinion, including mine, was that for these patients you need to lower the dose regardless of whether or not it's in the normal range to begin with.
Most folks here are not going to be lowering the dose - TRT, cycling or otherwise. So, before the "why bother donating if it doesn't do much" crowd pop up, a transient benefit from donating is better than sitting on your ass and doing nothing, which is the alternative.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I’m headed to a Hemotologist today to see what I’ve got to do to Lower my hemoctit levels,mine are a tad high to donate,min is running 53.5....and I’m not even doing a cycle atm....mine is just on trt !!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Just my experiences but here they are. My crits get check every time I donate blood I'm always at the 49 mark: ± 1. I once gave blood and then got blood work done 2-3 days later, my crits came back 2-3 points lower. I don't know how much that matters but it was lower than before and lower then any other recent blood work.

As for lowering my TRT, I can say this for a fact. I'm popping a 49 on 200 mg of test or 500 mg of test. I know what they say about the increase but for some reason, I don't see that either way.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Targeting RBCs just tends to be the main way of doing it - hence the focus on HCT.

I'll have to take a look when I'm not in the middle of class.
Question though, if the target is RBC's specifically, wouldn't the double red cell donation make the most sense?

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Question though, if the target is RBC's specifically, wouldn't the double red cell donation make the most sense?

On the face of it yes, but then you have to account for the fact you need to wait twice as long to donate again when doing double reds. Plus not all donation centers do double reds at all drives plus it takes considerably longer so they can’t do as many double reds appointments.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
What Doc said.

One of the main issues with regular donations is that the impact is transient. Within a few weeks (give or take, RBC generation speeds up on AAS) you'll be back to where you were. A way around this that I've seen used successfully is platelet donations, which can be done every 2 weeks without negatively impacting Iron (well, Ferritin actually). This is discussed in that thread I linked but basically, depending on the machine in use, some RBCs also get damaged during the process so you end up lowering them too.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just my experiences but here they are. My crits get check every time I donate blood I'm always at the 49 mark: ± 1. I once gave blood and then got blood work done 2-3 days later, my crits came back 2-3 points lower. I don't know how much that matters but it was lower than before and lower then any other recent blood work.

As for lowering my TRT, I can say this for a fact. I'm popping a 49 on 200 mg of test or 500 mg of test. I know what they say about the increase but for some reason, I don't see that either way.

Same for me except I'm 48 +/-

For guys who have high crit and RBC - do you have sleep apnea?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I’m headed to a Hemotologist today to see what I’ve got to do to Lower my hemoctit levels,mine are a tad high to donate,min is running 53.5....and I’m not even doing a cycle atm....mine is just on trt !!

What did they say?

New Threads