New Guy Needing Guidance

Reaction score
Hey new to the forum and thanks for awesome site! I’m 39 5’9” 230. I’m over weight and starting back in gym. I want to lose weight and get hard. I was once a 215 monster 10 years ago. So question is. Or are.

Should I go back in balls to wall and bulk and eat right with low reps and heavy weights. Or go in high reps, lots cardio to get weight off first. I just don’t want to get injuries being older and outa shape.

And any supplements recommendations are highly welcomed.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You'd have better had been sub 9% to call yourself a 215 pound monster! I kid, I kid (sort of).

High weight low low reps and tons of cardio works best for me for cutting. At least off cycle. I suggest just starting but not starting too heavy. Ease back into it.

Welcome to The Underground

Last edited:

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You'd have better had been sub 9% to call yourself a 215 pound monster! I kid, I kid (sort of).

High weight low low reps and tons of cardio works best for me for cutting. At least off cycle. I suggest just starting but not starting too heavy. Ease back into it.

Welcome me to The Underground

Same

Low reps. Big weight. Cardio balls to walls.

Like 7/8 min warm up n any machine for cardio. Then 20min to end things
Followed by a big shake made with 1% milk, liquid egg whites, whey n some form of powered oats.
Casein is nice to have for slowing things down took

But mainly focus on food aside the post wo shake.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I guess we have different thoughts on the size of a monster...lol... Welcome to the UG.

Reaction score
welcome buddy ,have fun stay safe.
1am 50 and young , 39 and old,ffs
happydays,
OH YES

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I'd do high and low reps. Do it all. Eat good do some cardio and drop that fat.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, the glory days. I remember when I was a beast..... NO wait. I don't remember. Still trying.. Anyway dude, you are not old. Wait til you get Stans age. That's when the joints hurt and you don't heal up very easy. You have some good years left. But seriously, definitely hit the cardio. As far as the gym goes, I would ease into it. If you haven't been in a long time, balls to the wall the first time will hurt and will be hard to hit the gym the next day. Just take your time for a couple weeks and see how your body responds. Then if everything is a go. Balls to the wall!!! Get that diet in check. That's always a priority.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Start back slow. If you haven’t been at it for awhile you may have some mobility issues you need to work out before going balls to the wall again. It’s amazing how quickly muscles tighten up as we get older and it’s real easy to get injured if you don’t have the mobility for proper movement patterns.

Reaction score
It used to be gospel that high rep, low weight was the way to drop body fat. That was debunked years ago. Anytime you are lifting weights (unless training for a specific sport), your goal should be to add more muscle, resulting in increased metabolic rate, & therefore burning more calories 24/7.
The best bang for your buck re putting on the most muscle is big compound movements/lifts ie squats, deadlifts, bench press. No need to waste time w/ concentration curls or cable tricep pushdowns. These used to be the ones to refine, chisele, shape specific muscle groups ie concentration curls to “shape” biceps. This has been debunked too. The shape of one’s muscle is genetically determined along w/ layer of body fat “clouding” shape.
Besides, the compounded lifts will give you the most density & thickness, along w/ them burning a lot more calories than isolation movements. As far as rep range, this also is not gospel. Variables involved re speed of rep/cadence, etc. But the gold standard for muscle hypertrophy (your goal), is 8-12 reps. That’s a big range so i like to hit all of them in one workout. Or you can vary it from workout to workout. I do believe in muscle confusion- your body adapts relatively quickly to stimulous, workload, type of exercise, etc.
Sorry for writing an encyclopedia. ��
Hope this helps.

jyoung8j

Elite
Reaction score
Take your time!! Read and learn and listen to your body!! Welcome to ugbb..

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info!!! It’s always helpful to be able to ask guys that have done it and are doing it questions. Thanks again.

Reaction score
No problem. Good luck conquering your goals!
Sorry, accidentally replied under your Reputation. Newbie here. I’ll get the hang of it soon, i hope. Lol

New Threads