Meet day foods

Reaction score
I have a meet coming up in 2 1/2 weeks so training is starting to taper down to an end. I spent the whole weekend at the Arnold watching lots of lifting going on at the XPC finals and even helping some training partners out who were competing there. I saw lots of food the whole weekend and everyone seems to have their own trick.

Personally, I stick to things I know. I am not trying to have some sort of issue on the platform because my stomach disagreed with some random food choice I made. Uncrustables, pretzels, deli meat sandwiches, gummy bears or sour candy, gatorade powder, and bananas are all staples for me.

What does your meet day lunchbox look like?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Peanut butter and jelly, salt n vinegar chips, bananas, water and gatorade.
Evan mensing was eating chicken and rice between each lift at one of my meets. Everyone's different.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
You know I am not a competative powerlifter, so take what I say at whatever value you want... But just curious how you do with legumes...? (I like lentils and chick peas). From what I have read and experienced, they break down really slowly giving you a more stable blood sugar level for several hours longer than simpler foods to process... That could keep you in the "zone" for longer, while you use the simple sugars to give you fast energy as needed....

But, obviously, it would suck to lift super bloated and gassy, so it all depends on how you process them...

Last edited:
Reaction score
You know I am not a competative powerlifter, so take what I say at whatever value you want... But just curious how you do with legumes...? (I like lentils and chick peas). From what I have read and experienced, they break down really slowly giving you a more stable blood sugar level for several hours longer than simpler foods to process... That could keep you in the "zone" for longer, while you use the simple sugars to give you fast energy as needed....

But, obviously, it would suck to lift super bloated and gassy, so it all depends on how you process them...

I think I can tolerate them well enough to eat them but I don’t think I want to try to squat 600+ after eating them haha.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
, they break down really slowly giving you a more stable blood sugar level for several hours longer than simpler foods to process... ...

This makes no sense to me. You have x amount of glycogen storage the source of carbohydrate makes no difference.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Depends on how big of a meet K&K.

A really long meet one or two sammiches. A bunch of snacks. I always liked dry salty snacks like pretzels.

Plenty of water.

Stim drinks.

That's about all you need.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. You have x amount of glycogen storage the source of carbohydrate makes no difference.

Certain simple sugar carbs hit the blood stream considerably faster than slower fiber-rich complex carbs such as legumes... because of this, legumes are able to maintain a more gradual/stable blood sugar level for a longer time period. All I am suggesting is that potentially having more stable blood sugar levels on meet day (instead of high/low spikes) taxes the body less and could equate to a more solid performance on the platform... but this is all in theory.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Certain simple sugar carbs hit the blood stream considerably faster than slower fiber-rich complex carbs such as legumes... because of this, legumes are able to maintain a more gradual/stable blood sugar level for a longer time period. All I am suggesting is that potentially having more stable blood sugar levels on meet day (instead of high/low spikes) taxes the body less and could equate to a more solid performance on the platform... but this is all in theory.

But when you eat carbs with protein, fats, or fiber the digestion process is slowed down.

New Threads