Cardio to build muscle?

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
My wife's friend is a cardiologist, I saw her last year and she said I have a condition called diastolic dysfunction=heart contracts normal, but wont relax as well. She said the best treatment.... aerobic exercise, pfffft what does she know! But serious I need to start banging out some cardio, and I better not lose any MUSCLE.....Jin, Bricks, BB and uh, bee......lol

Reaction score
same here, i don't believe thaat anymore but i still dont do cardio, or abs, thats why they don't look like bundys lol.
OP wtf is up with your avi, like what is that??? wierdo.
Bee, stfu and stop pretending like you know shit about shit young punk

Wtf kind of tattoo is that you have did you draw that when you were 12?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well the problem is the the hormones released during cardio.
Cortisol, Adrenaline and most importantly Glucagon.
Hormones dont usually tell apart muscle from fat and just break down anything for energy.
Thats why people talk about Catabolic windows and such, and a lot of body builders eat frequently, its so their body doesnt resort to literally eating it self right away.
Then again Im not an expert
, far from actually just a couple things i know.

I will never be able to get this post out of my head. I talk shit about cardio more than anyone but Jesus at least I can admit it's because it's boring. Cortisol adrenaline and glucagon?

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
I will never be able to get this post out of my head. I talk shit about cardio more than anyone but Jesus at least I can admit it's because it's boring. Cortisol adrenaline and glucagon?
Dude dont get me wrong, I lost 45 lbs with just running and diet in around 3 months, I love cardio and I can run alot
In clincal studies it does show a spike in all those hormones and they are all in fact catabolic, I like cardio but I see these 6ft and 150 lb dudes running on the treadmill and you ask them what there are doing and they say "Cutting" you know damn well they dont need cardio, thats the last thing they need.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I recently started doing cardio after my second doctor got on me for not doing it. At least he only recommends 30 minutes of low intensity steady state cardio done whenever versus my other doctor who wa.nted me to do HIIT cardio BEFORE working out. I tried that HIIT for a couple of weeks then dropped it all together because I couldn't squat or deadlift squat after doing it.

Now, if you want a laugh... I asked my doctor why he recommended HIIT cardio prior to lifting weights and he couldn't give me a reason. I then asked him how many times he has done it and his answer was NEVER... IDK why one would give such advice without reason or trying it themselves.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I keep this simple; too much cardio is where it starts to fuuk with your squats. Everything and anything up to that is in play. You can do some serious cardio and have an okay squat or you can do some serious squatting and have an okay cardio program. The body can not serve 2 masters at a high level for any length of time. Do both at a high competitive level and you soon will be doing neither.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardio is a necessary evil. There's no disputing the benefits of it for your body; both inside and out.

That being said, can we stop acting like we enjoy it? We are mostly muscle heads and it takes a lot of O2 to fuel all that muscle. And it doesn't matter if you're 240 lbs with 35% BF or if your 240 lbs of rock hard muscle. Your joints couldn't give a shit less if you chose the wrong cardio for your body.

I have put my time in on road running; well for the lack of definition, let's call it jogging. I can not stand when some real runner who is able to pound out 8 miles starts to talk to about how great they feel after a run. Yeah me too! I feel so much better now that I can breath. Nothing like a good waterboarding to make you enjoy being able to get enough air into your lungs.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Every pro bb does cardio

Yes. Cuz they need to stay 7-9% all year so they can cut to 4.5-5.5% to hit the stage.

If u let to much fat build up you ll be doing too much cardio pre stage time n lose muscle.
IMO they just have to keep a physique with good lines n muscle separation

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Dude dont get me wrong, I lost 45 lbs with just running and diet in around 3 months, I love cardio and I can run alot
In clincal studies it does show a spike in all those hormones and they are all in fact catabolic, I like cardio but I see these 6ft and 150 lb dudes running on the treadmill and you ask them what there are doing and they say "Cutting" you know damn well they dont need cardio, thats the last thing they need.

Dude, why in the FK, yes, capital letters, would you pay any attention to what someone 6' 150 lbs sais about bodybuilding?

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
All I'm doing is cardio and calisthenics via MMA and guys ask if I'm bodybuilder haha

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Bundy and Jin are right. I've been doing 60 to 75 minutes of cardio 5 times a week. Fat is melting off and my weight isn't changing. That means gains. I don't know anybody who looks big AND lean that doesn't do cardio.

^ This.
Just before I got hurt I added in cardio doing treadmill trying to keep my hr about 130 for 45 minutes after every workout.
I'm 6'2 and 255 and in 3-4 weeks of this my weight was the same but I dropped 1.5 inches off my waist.

Chillinlow

Reaction score
I mean honestly when people do cardio it actually costs you energy, some of that energy comes from breaking down muscle into BCAA and then the liver converting it into glucose.
So I'm almost 100% sure its not helpful for building muscles directly per se.
I think where that notion comes from is the fact that cardio improves blood circulation and cardiovascular efficiency, meaning more nutrition and oxygen goes to your muscles.
Honestly my only cardio is biking 2 miles on a free wheel bike to and from the gym....its basically nothing.
But thats just my opinion, will see what other people have to say.

So which one is it ? You do cardio or you don’t? You are all over the place dude I’m with Gibs just stfu please

Reaction score
I think the distinction to be made is between anaerobic (ex: sprinting) and aerobic (ex: jogging) cardio, the former of which can very much build muscle (look at elite sprinters) and the latter of which leaves you looking like a beanpole (cue long-distance runners). Obviously there's lots of other factors too and it's likely much more complex at the physiological level

New Threads