Cardio to build muscle?

Reaction score
Hello all. The forums favorite pirate here.

ive always been taught that doing cardio on a bulk can aid in muscle gain. If any of you agree, disagree or have something to chime in about this I'd love to learn.

Also how long? How much do you consider too much? How many times a week?

Thanks

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
I mean honestly when people do cardio it actually costs you energy, some of that energy comes from breaking down muscle into BCAA and then the liver converting it into glucose.
So I'm almost 100% sure its not helpful for building muscles directly per se.
I think where that notion comes from is the fact that cardio improves blood circulation and cardiovascular efficiency, meaning more nutrition and oxygen goes to your muscles.
Honestly my only cardio is biking 2 miles on a free wheel bike to and from the gym....its basically nothing.
But thats just my opinion, will see what other people have to say.

Reaction score
I mean honestly when people do cardio it actually costs you energy, some of that energy comes from breaking down muscle into BCAA and then the liver converting it into glucose.
So I'm almost 100% sure its not helpful for building muscles directly per se.
I think where that notion comes from is the fact that cardio improves blood circulation and cardiovascular efficiency, meaning more nutrition and oxygen goes to your muscles.
Honestly my only cardio is biking 2 miles on a free wheel bike to and from the gym....its basically nothing.
But thats just my opinion, will see what other people have to say.
Doesn't it take a lot of extreme drawn out cardio for your body to resort to using muscle tissue as fuel?

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes I don't know anyone who burns muscle with cardio..If you lift hard eat hard how can u lose muscle ? You would need to do hours and hours of intence cardio similar to a pro mma fighter

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
Well the problem is the the hormones released during cardio.
Cortisol, Adrenaline and most importantly Glucagon.
Hormones dont usually tell apart muscle from fat and just break down anything for energy.
Thats why people talk about Catabolic windows and such, and a lot of body builders eat frequently, its so their body doesnt resort to literally eating it self right away.
Then again Im not an expert
, far from actually just a couple things i know.

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
Yes I don't know anyone who burns muscle with cardio..If you lift hard eat hard how can u lose muscle ? You would need to do hours and hours of intence cardio similar to a pro mma fighter
Yea you are right, but like how much cardio do bb do? max ive seen is like 20 minutes on a treadmill post workout. I see some people go up to an hour and wonder why they cant build muscle

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought that whole "cardio kills gains so don't do it" BS too. That's why I've always been fat. Recently I've been doing 80min of cardio 5x/wk with strength increasing and BF decreasing. That was off cycle.

What BB said is truth.

Bottom line one is that cardio is essential for good health and better aesthetics.

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought that whole "cardio kills gains so don't do it" BS too. That's why I've always been fat. Recently I've been doing 80min of cardio 5x/wk with strength increasing and BF decreasing. That was off cycle.

What BB said is truth.

Bottom line one is that cardio is essential for good health and better aesthetics.
I guess ill up my cardio then and see

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I guess ill up my cardio then and see

Keep in mind I have a lot of lean mass already and I was lifting heavy for low volumr to maintain that mass and eating sufficiently.

Last edited:

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea you are right, but like how much cardio do bb do? max ive seen is like 20 minutes on a treadmill post workout. I see some people go up to an hour and wonder why they cant build muscle
Some do very little some need hours of it.A hour a day of medium paced cardio goes along way on fat burning

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I think we just had this convo in the chat box yesterday...i was definitley a cardio kills my gains guy...going to start doing more thanks for the wake up call BB!

Reaction score
Bro bundy your right about all pros do cardio.

what I can take away is that I probably need to find the right amount of cardio for ME.

For my first show my coach had me max 40 min a day and I got fkn diced on that.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I think we just had this convo in the chat box yesterday...i was definitley a cardio kills my gains guy...going to start doing more thanks for the wake up call BB!

same here, i don't believe thaat anymore but i still dont do cardio, or abs, thats why they don't look like bundys lol.
OP wtf is up with your avi, like what is that??? wierdo.
Bee, stfu and stop pretending like you know shit about shit young punk

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Bundy and Jin are right. I've been doing 60 to 75 minutes of cardio 5 times a week. Fat is melting off and my weight isn't changing. That means gains. I don't know anybody who looks big AND lean that doesn't do cardio.

itismethebee

Elite
Reaction score
same here, i don't believe thaat anymore but i still dont do cardio, or abs, thats why they don't look like bundys lol.
OP wtf is up with your avi, like what is that??? wierdo.
Bee, stfu and stop pretending like you know shit about shit young punk
F**k you,old C**T

New Threads