Improvements on my current plan?

Reaction score
21/M/5'9 81KG 19% Body Fat.
Goal - Lean Bulk, Gain Muscle while also burning fat

3 Days:

Day 1(Upper Body)(Monday,Thursday)-
Incline Dumbell Bench Press or Pectoral Flys (4 Sets of 6)
Bench Press (4 Sets of 6)
Bent Over Row (4 Sets of 6)
Lat Pulldown (3 Sets of 8) or Assisted Wide Grip Pull Ups (3 Sets till failure)
Shoulder Press (4 Sets of 6)
3 Supersets: Arnold Dumbell Press(8 Reps) then Bent Over Shoulder Fly (12 Reps) or Barbell Row (8 Reps) then Side Lateral Raises (12
Reps).

Day 2(Lower Body)(Tuesday,Friday)-
Squat (4 Sets of 6)
Leg Press (3 Sets of 8) or Leg Extension (3 Sets of 8) or Leg Curl (3 Sets of 8) (Whatever is free)
Deadlift (3 Sets of 6)
Seated Calf Raises (3 Sets of 20) or Calf Press (3 Sets of 20)

Day 3(Arms)(Wednesday,Saturday)-
Barbell Curl (6 Sets of 12,10,8,6,4 Reps then final set half weight of 4 rep set till failure)
Tricep Pushdown (6 Sets of 12,10,8,6,4 Reps then final set half weight of 4 rep set till failure)
Single Arm Curl (4 Sets of 12,10,8,6 Reps)
Skullcrushers (4 Sets of 12,10,8,6 Reps)
Superset: Single Bicep Cable Curl and Tricep Cable Extension (4 Sets of 15 Reps)
Chinups (3 Sets till failure)
Bench Dips (3 Sets till failure)

Sunday-
DDP Yoga/Cardio/Abs Depending on mood

Alternate "or" Exercises during week. For example if I do Incline Dumbell Press Monday, I'll do Pec Flys on Thursday in it's slot

Diet:
Meal 1: Peanut Butter, 2 Scoops Protein Powder, Bananan, and Milk Shake. MyProtein BCAA Plus Pills
Meal 2: High Protein, Low Fat Yoghurt
Meal 3: Sandwich/Wrap usually a 6-Inch Subway Chicken Breast Sub
Meal 4: 2 Scoops Protein Shake with Creatine
Meal 5: Pre-Workout Food like Protein Bar or Fruit
Drink: MyProtein MyPre 2.0
Meal 6: Post Workout Shake. MyProtein BCAA Plus Pills
Meal 7: 200g Chicken/Lamb/Beef with Stir Fried Veg

Was looking to add Cardio in the mornings. 30 Seconds Skipping then 10 Burpees, 30 Seconds Skipping then 9 Burpees etc etc...

Bicepticon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks, well thought out!
To me, it looks like you need more calories from carbs...post workout.

herrsauce

Reaction score
You are working on the right idea, my friend. For someone young and new to lifting, I advocate three-four full body days, with each set around a major lift, i.e. squat, bench, military press, and deadlifts. I like to separate deads and squats by a day or so in order to really give them my all. Those are high value lifts.

Additionally, I think a dedicated arm day is overkill for a young buck without appreciable muscle mass. That is a day you could be lifting serious iron, maximizing GH production and increasing your metabolism.

My stats were similar to yours when I began. I found that trying to lean out for a few months, and then bulking on a clean diet from a BF of around 12% had a more significant impact on my body composition and mindset then trying to do both when I was carrying excessive adipose tissue. Plus, gains are sweeter when you can see them clearer.

Doing cardio in the morning in a fasted state has also contributed to dramatic fat loss for me.

Reaction score
You are working on the right idea, my friend. For someone young and new to lifting, I advocate three-four full body days, with each set around a major lift, i.e. squat, bench, military press, and deadlifts. I like to separate deads and squats by a day or so in order to really give them my all. Those are high value lifts.

Additionally, I think a dedicated arm day is overkill for a young buck without appreciable muscle mass. That is a day you could be lifting serious iron, maximizing GH production and increasing your metabolism.

My stats were similar to yours when I began. I found that trying to lean out for a few months, and then bulking on a clean diet from a BF of around 12% had a more significant impact on my body composition and mindset then trying to do both when I was carrying excessive adipose tissue. Plus, gains are sweeter when you can see them clearer.

Doing cardio in the morning in a fasted state has also contributed to dramatic fat loss for me.
Great post herrsauce, very informative and motivational.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Herrsauce covered everything I was going to say.

I have less experience then a lot of other guys on here but these three things stood out to me.

Split up your squats and deadlifts. Seems like you’re doing to much on that day to really maximize anything.

A whole day for arms seems like overkill though I admit I train arms less then everything else since I hit a lot during my other days.

Less shakes/bars and more real food.

New Threads