Where is your head during competition?

Battletoad

Reaction score
How many of you have seen guys and gals get so fukkin jacked up before a 2nd or 3rd attempt (I've seen some huffing tork and slapping themselves before openers) that they mentally "blow their load" so to speak? How many of you try "lifting angry" vs. lifting with internalized aggression? Competition certainly adds a tangible amount of stress anyway, but how many of you find yourselves almost emotionally disconnected during meet day?

My last two meets were like that; just completely disconnected, nothing else and no one else mattered. It's like I just kind of check-out for the day. No screaming, theatrical psyching myself up or anything. Right before I lift though, everything turns on, and I feel like goddamn King Kong.

This is a topic that has always interested me, because there is an obvious point of diminished returns with mental stimuli. How much is too much, and even if it seems to work for you, are you still robbing yourself of neural efficiency? I think it could make for interesting discusssion.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Honestly for me meet day is just another day in the gym for me. Im focused on my next lift and picturing it in my head. I'm a very calm lifter. Can't stand guys that slap the shit out of eachother or themselves. I trained my ass off for this day so I stay in control of my feelings and put it all into the bar.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i would say i am more of a calm lifter. no ammonia, just focused, i do like the music cranked

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I liked ammonia or a slap just to knock the anxiety out of me so I can focus on my own cues and movement. I would play enya on my headphones and chill between attempts. Not a noisy guy.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ive had many competitions in my life none have to do with lifting..but comps are comps..Im ready to kill yet i stay calm..Im thinking about everything that i ever hated or wanted but couldnt get..Im thinking about ex girlfriends that played me out..Im thinking about kids that fukked with me when i was a kid..Im looking to destroy and cripple..I play to win

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I’m a calm lifter at a meet but then again, I utilize a lot of THC before a meet....

Battletoad

Reaction score
I liked ammonia or a slap just to knock the anxiety out of me so I can focus on my own cues and movement. I would play enya on my headphones and chill between attempts. Not a noisy guy.

That's about my level of pre-lift hype. A slap on the back and a big whiff of ammonia before approaching the bar. Usually only on 2nd and 3rd attempt squats and DL.

Reaction score
I typically get more fired up as the meet goes on. Could be the halo building up or it could just be my way of dealing with the fatigue of the meet. I am very calm in training so I try to maintain something similar for the meet.

Reaction score
Try to remain as calm as possible in between lifts and save my aggressive energy for the middle/end of the meet where it is really needed. Learned my lesson after trying to get to amped for squats and losing way too much energy to do well on the last two lifts.

Reaction score
ive had many competitions in my life none have to do with lifting..but comps are comps..Im ready to kill yet i stay calm..Im thinking about everything that i ever hated or wanted but couldnt get..Im thinking about ex girlfriends that played me out..Im thinking about kids that fukked with me when i was a kid..Im looking to destroy and cripple..I play to win

Thanks for the mental win!

New Threads