Trying to bulk but stay semi lean

Cslogger515

Reaction score
So I’m 5”9 150lbs 22 years old I work out 5 days a week I have my macros set at 420 carbs protein 210 fats 90 I’m a logger so I do a bit of cardio in the woods otherwise none just strength training my calorie intake is around 3300 some days a little more should I change anything up I also try to drink a gallon if not 2 a day I work out around 2 to 3 hours each day usually till failure on heaviest weight I can rep out and drop down till complete failure

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you gaining weight? I respect my buddy Jin but your cals are set at exactly where they should be based n the info you gave. You should be gaining.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How LONG have you been eating said macros? A week? A month? A year? Consistency is key my man. This shit takes time. Also, there's no reason you need to be in the gym 2-3 hours. If you train with enough intensity you can be in and out in an hour. It's not POSSIBLE for me to train as hard as I do for 2 hours...I'd pass the fck out.

Cslogger515

Reaction score
Ya I have been gaining little by little but I wasn’t sure if I should up the calories because my job and training i would like to get to 165-170

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ya I have been gaining little by little but I wasn’t sure if I should up the calories because my job and training i would like to get to 165-170

So how long have you been running this macro scheme?

Also, since you are so lean you have the room to tinker man. Throw in some more calories, see how you respond, adjust. You're young, your body will respond quickly.

Cslogger515

Reaction score
How LONG have you been eating said macros? A week? A month? A year? Consistency is key my man. This shit takes time. Also, there's no reason you need to be in the gym 2-3 hours. If you train with enough intensity you can be in and out in an hour. It's not POSSIBLE for me to train as hard as I do for 2 hours...I'd pass the fck out.
I was doing 2800cals before and so I added 500cals about a month ago maybe longer I don’t expect it to happen fast by any means I figured pry 6 months to gain 15-20lbs and I’ll Have to step my intensity up when in the gym

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Jin is right, you need to eat more and do it consistently. 22 year old logger, your burning cals like a furnace. Don't worry about lean or not lean. Eat more until you start gaining weight. When you stop eat more. Use the mirror to determine how you look.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't need to eat more. 3500 cals is perfect for your stats. Gain 10 pounds and recalculate. Y mentioned two things. You want to gain some weight without gaining to much fat. You're gaining slowly but surely. It's working, keep going as is.

Last edited:

Cslogger515

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses I’ll add some more calories and experiment with what seems to be a good range I was thinking go to 3500-3800 calories and see how it goes from there

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses I’ll add some more calories and experiment with what seems to be a good range I was thinking go to 3500-3800 calories and see how it goes from there

How active are you while on the job?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
You're a logger and spend 3 hours a day in the gym? You're burning a shit ton of calories right there BUT like Seek said if you're consistently gaining weight then stick with it.

And don't get your mind set on 15 to 20 pounds of MUSCLE in 6 months. That's almost impossible to do. Just stay on course and enjoy 5 to 7 pounds of muscle a year at your age and being natural.

Cslogger515

Reaction score
How active are you while on the job?
I cut so at least 10 hours or so of running around with a saw and it’s really all hills and bluffs here in the Midwest

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I cut so at least 10 hours or so of running around with a saw and it’s really all hills and bluffs here in the Midwest

Good for you that you even make it to the gym. ****in beast you are.

I stand by my initial statement. You need more food. 10 hours of hard labor can easily burn a couple thousand calories. What's left to build with?

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score

You need to try Sheiko. Workouts can easily take 2+hrs and regularly do. This shit is no joke lol. And that’s even skipping an accessory lift or two occasionally.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I cant remember if you posted a separate intro thread and if so, whether I responded to it, so first off, welcome to the board...

Logging is a pretty cool job... You mentioned "midwest" are you in MI by chance...?

My thoughts on your diet are mixed between Seek's advice and Jin's... I would imagine you are buring more calories than most men at your job, let alone adding in your training time... I say add some more calories and dont be affraid to lose a little definition, its gonna happen... Just make sure you keep an eye on the mirror and if you get too too fluffy, just adjust a little. But dont be afraid of a little bit of fat...

Cslogger515

Reaction score
Good for you that you even make it to the gym. ****in beast you are.

I stand by my initial statement. You need more food. 10 hours of hard labor can easily burn a couple thousand calories. What's left to build with?
Ya it gets to be hard making time for the family my daughters mom gets to stay home to take care of my daughter but now I’m going into the slower season winter is the busy season so I’ll get more time with family and nutrition I will be getting a month or two off soon and than shorter days than once fall hits it’s back to 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day

Cslogger515

Reaction score
I cant remember if you posted a separate intro thread and if so, whether I responded to it, so first off, welcome to the board...

Logging is a pretty cool job... You mentioned "midwest" are you in MI by chance...?

My thoughts on your diet are mixed between Seek's advice and Jin's... I would imagine you are buring more calories than most men at your job, let alone adding in your training time... I say add some more calories and dont be affraid to lose a little definition, its gonna happen... Just make sure you keep an eye on the mirror and if you get too too fluffy, just adjust a little. But dont be afraid of a little bit of fat...
Actually I’m on the border I’m in IA but I log in Wisconsin Illinois Missouri and Iowa mostly and thanks I’ll add more calories I never really thought about how many calories I really burn out there I’ll do some testing with it start around the 4000 calories maybe more and if it’s to much I’ll just drop 200 or so and keep working with it till it’s what seems good I eat clean for the most part I eat a lot of salmon tuna steaks tilapia chicken for my protein sources

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
to put it into perspective I'm 248lbs and i eat 4300-4500 cals a day. active job and lift 6 days a week. but everyones body and metabolism is different. if you're looking to put on lean mass be patient. 2 lbs a month is solid. good luck dude

Cslogger515

Reaction score
to put it into perspective I'm 248lbs and i eat 4300-4500 cals a day. active job and lift 6 days a week. but everyones body and metabolism is different. if you're looking to put on lean mass be patient. 2 lbs a month is solid. good luck dude
i feel like a big p**** on here everyone is a beast I couldn’t imagine being 200 and up that has to take a lot of hard work/dedication/nutrition I wasn’t sure if I would add weight quicker from muscle memory or anything I wrecked my rocket at 110 hit a culvert and I dropped from 160 to 130 and I’ve been working my way up since I’m back to 150 it’s been about a year

New Threads